• 1 Post By Brigstocksbobber
  • 1 Post By OneBobberMan
  • 1 Post By Forjox
  • 2 Post By muensterDeath
  • 1 Post By chas65

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Filling the tank

This may sound a bit silly, but how are you lot finding filling the tank.

I've not managed to do many miles on my bike due to being incapacitated shortly after getting the Bobber and couldn't ride for the whole summer. The weather turning crap shortly after meant that I've not had it on the road much since either. Therefore, I've not had that many visits to the petrol station.

I can't quite remember the first fill up, but the second one I managed to fill it up to the brim and then it all pissed out of the top and down the bike. The third time I was extremely careful and trickled the fuel in. And er... that's as many times as I've filled it up. I've not even done enough miles to get to it's first service.

So what's the best way to fill it up? Do you shove it in up to the hilt and let the fuel gush out? Do you hover in the hole and carefully monitor the flow? The hole arrangememt in the tank doesn't seem to allow the auto cut-off to function. On my street triple there's some sort of cage in the hole that I can hold the nozzle against and it cuts off fine but not the Bobber.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 AM

Garage
Put in nozzle, not all the way as it will hit thebottom just about, pull trigger until it shuts off. Then top up carefully. I fill up to this point mostly. If I am going directly out for a decent ride I will try to squeeze a little more in slowly.
You should get practiced as you will be doing it alot when spring comes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171003_15_16_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	14570  
tedman likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 AM

Hi SXTony I have been using the same method of filling my motorcycle tanks since 1998 when I nearly had my zx7 on its side !!
I had brimmed the tank ready for an early start the next morning ready for the blast to WSB at BrsndsHatch. I did have to stop at a mates house on the way home but only for like 5/10mins but when I returned my zx7 was at about a 45 degree angle !!.
When I rescued it I found that due to it being a hot summers afternoon and with a full tank it had forced petrol out the over flow down the frame and side stand and had eaten the tarmac !! Since then I never brim the tanks and always leave a 10/15 mm airgap.
But filling I put the nozzle in as far as it goes (Wahey!! )when it clicks remove a couple inches full again till your nearly at the top hope this helps
OBM
tedman likes this.

Some days it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Garage
On a semi-related note, are you guys using regular unleaded or premium? The tank holds such a small amount that cost isn't an issue, so curious as to what people are using.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
On a semi-related note, are you guys using regular unleaded or premium? The tank holds such a small amount that cost isn't an issue, so curious as to what people are using.
Regular unleaded. 87 octane, just as the manual suggests.
ysoslo likes this.

Riding Free
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I rest the end of the nozzle on the circle cage thing (pic posted by brigstockbobber), and only pull the lever to fill it around halfway so that it doesn't shoot into the tank or splash off that circle cage thing. I also watch the gas level through the hole and to see it get to that circle cage thing, which is the maximum you are supposed to fill it.
Forjox and ysoslo like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Cheers all. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I start using the bike more. Why is it always the best weather when I'm at work?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 AM

One thing the Dealer told me when I picked mine up, was never brim the tank to the hilt as it has a tendency for the excess to run down the overflow pipe into the 'daft box' on the right hand side under the swingarm (it's something to do with the emissions in certain countries - U.S mainly I think) & then makes the bike difficult to start. Not sure on this, but that was the advice given to me.
ysoslo likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas65 View Post
One thing the Dealer told me when I picked mine up, was never brim the tank to the hilt as it has a tendency for the excess to run down the overflow pipe into the 'daft box' on the right hand side under the swingarm (it's something to do with the emissions in certain countries - U.S mainly I think) & then makes the bike difficult to start. Not sure on this, but that was the advice given to me.
Yah, and the manual shows to fill it only to the bottom of the cage.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page