8Likes
  • 4 Post By John
  • 1 Post By John
  • 1 Post By BOBBYP
  • 2 Post By BOBBYP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Wiring Nightmare!!!

After seeing at least Half a dozen successful after market Indicator jobs on here I decided to get some Rizoma I-Ride lites for my Bobber, Standard turn signals for the front and running lite, brake lite, turn signals for the rear!

The right side was wired up and worked perfectly! When the left side was wired, all turn signals would flash regardless of which side was selected!

The difference between my setup and others is that I have the Triumph short rear fender and Triumph Multi function lites which have a new wiring harness! They worked fine for 9 months. So... I have 10 wires to feed the 8 on the Rizomas including 2 grounds for the 2 separate circuits involved. The wiring has been triple checked by 2 persons!

I have been told I need to use the resistors which came with the Rizomas even though they should not be needed for an all LED setup??? I have also been told by a Master motorcycle electrical tech that I need capacitors not resistors as 1 digital circuit is back feeding to the other. Y
Triumph is no help as the parts are after market!

Any suggestions???

Last edited by BOBBYP; 01-18-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: duplicate
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYP View Post
After seeing at least Half a dozen successful after market Indicator jobs on here I decided to get some Rizoma I-Ride lites for my Bobber, Standard turn signals for the front and running lite, brake lite, turn signals for the rear!

The right side was wired up and worked perfectly! When the left side was wired, all turn signals would flash regardless of which side was selected!

The difference between my setup and others is that I have the Triumph short rear fender and Triumph Multi function lites which have a new wiring harness! They worked fine for 9 months. So... I have 10 wires to feed the 8 on the Rizomas including 2 grounds for the 2 separate circuits involved. The wiring has been triple checked by 2 persons!

I have been told I need to use the resistors which came with the Rizomas even though they should not be needed for an all LED setup??? I have also been told by a Master motorcycle electrical tech that I need capacitors not resistors as 1 digital circuit is back feeding to the other. Y
Triumph is no help as the parts are after market!

Any suggestions???

Not seeing exactly how you have your system wired, I can offer very little to correct your actual wiring, however, I have done a great deal of modifying to the factory Bobber harness as well as several of the sub-harnesses. I pinned out the Rizoma Club S multifunction rear lights using a Triumph short rear mud guard lighting sub harness. The benefit of doing this is that the short rear mud guard harness omits the two wires that feed power and ground to the license plate light that would otherwise be present in the stock long fender config. I will verify that you absolutely do NOT need to run resistors or capacitors for the lights to work. The way I fabricated my harness was as follows:
From the short rear mud guard harness, I clipped all wires at the non- insulated crimp ferrule. The black wire is the ground (earth), the yellow wire is the rear light (hot with ignition on). The green/white is the right turn indicator, the green/red is the left turn indicator, and the green/purple is the brake light output. I ran a single leg extension to each of the turn indicators from the terminated end, crimped in my own double leg extensions for the ground, brake, and running light wires. I crimped bullet style connectors into each of these so that I could install/remove either light from the bike without having to remove the harness or cut anything.
The license plate light is connected via the two wire connector that is blanked from the factory. This connector is located inside the battery box, suspended from the underside of the battery box top. This connector is used when installing the side mount license plate kit. The settings of the light configuration can be verified in the lighting settings menu, accessed via the “i” button during ignition cycle.
If you find you are hard-up and without resolution, I can either provide you a wiring table that will sort it out for you or even fab up a harness and send it to you with photos and instructions for installation. Can’t have you riding with gummed up lighting!!

-John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"The path of adventure leads to wisdom"
- Celestial Seasonings Tea Bag
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 AM
Vendor

John,
On the bike you did, did you keep the front stock? I ask because i personally have seen the exact issue the original poster has with aftermarket all around.
Bobby - did you try the Included Rizoma resistors / loaf equalizers as we discussed? Also I see you are in Connecticut, we are 20 mins from the tappan zee bridge, bring us the bike and we will get it sorted out for you. Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandJCycles View Post
John,
On the bike you did, did you keep the front stock? I ask because i personally have seen the exact issue the original poster has with aftermarket all around.
Bobby - did you try the Included Rizoma resistors / loaf equalizers as we discussed? Also I see you are in Connecticut, we are 20 mins from the tappan zee bridge, bring us the bike and we will get it sorted out for you. Brian

I have changed my fronts from the factory bullet LED turns to the NRC 360 LED fork wrap lights. I swapped the stock 5 3/4” bulb type headlight for a 7” LED unit with integrated turn indicators that double as the position/running light. I’m even adding another rear/brake light LED in the seat. No resistors anywhere, just had to make a change in the lighting type menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1960Bobber likes this.

"The path of adventure leads to wisdom"
- Celestial Seasonings Tea Bag
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

John: Thank you for your time and that very detailed response. I may take you up on that wiring diagram offer!

Brian: I have not tried the resistors yet because I have not touched the bike since we last spoke! Family obligations and snowmobiling have taken up all my spare time! Thanks for all your help so far. If I don't have this sorted by the time the good weather gets here I may plan a day trip to see you. I think it would be about 3 hrs each way but I bought it to ride it right!
SineApps likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Okay I finally had some time to play with the bike. Seems changing the setting to 4 does the trick. Now I have to finish the fronts and grips and then the fun comes!
Trace and John like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page