Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Does anyone else have this issue with their Bobber ...

17K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Aitch 
#1 ·
Hi,

My Bobber has 300 miles on it so will be going for it's first service shortly. I am loving it but have an issue when commuting to work. If in 1st or 2nd gear and trying to cruise at a constant speed in traffic the bike feels 'jumpy'. What I mean is if trying to hold a constant RPM, say 2500, the bike will not cruise but is twitchy with the power coming through not consistently. It is not a massive issue but does make cruising at a constant speed a bit unenjoyable.

Sometimes I pull the clutch in slightly and that makes it better, but I don't really want to be doing that as I'm sure that isn't great for the clutch. I must admit I'm a bit ignorant with motor engines and the such like (could the clutch need adjusting??), but wondered if this is usual for the bike in general or whether the first service will sort it out.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Rob

#5 ·
So I was experiencing the same problem. Last week I was in for my first service, so I replaced the stock grips with brown barrel grips. When the mechanic came out, I asked him why the new grips were significantly shorter that the stock ones. His reply was that there was an issue with the early production bikes with the throttle causing problems or sticking. I haven't heard this before, but it does make sense.

#6 ·
Hey

I had exactly the same issue. Originally I put it down to the fact it needed running in and thought it would be ok after the first service, but it persisted. Trying to hold her steady between 20-30 was a struggle thought it may be a fueling problem.
Eventually got her back to the dealers and they found the throttle bodies were out of adjustment.
The amount of adjustment needed couldn't be done by plugging in, so they had to manually adjust them.

Over 1500 miles in now and she's pretty sweet now!

#9 ·
Hi,

My Bobber has 300 miles on it so will be going for it's first service shortly. I am loving it but have an issue when commuting to work. If in 1st or 2nd gear and trying to cruise at a constant speed in traffic the bike feels 'jumpy'. What I mean is if trying to hold a constant RPM, say 2500, the bike will not cruise but is twitchy with the power coming through not consistently. It is not a massive issue but does make cruising at a constant speed a bit unenjoyable.

Sometimes I pull the clutch in slightly and that makes it better, but I don't really want to be doing that as I'm sure that isn't great for the clutch. I must admit I'm a bit ignorant with motor engines and the such like (could the clutch need adjusting??), but wondered if this is usual for the bike in general or whether the first service will sort it out.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

I did experience the same thing. I don 't know if it's just imagination but since i have switched from 95 octane gasoline to 98 octane gasoline i think in runs much smoother at lower speed.
You could try this if you didnt already

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#13 ·
In all fairness to Rob, I also found the standard configuration very jerky and had to add an air fuel modulator from rapidbike to help alleviate it.
The solution that works for me though, was a combination of air/fuel modulator + decat/free flow exhaust + belt (instead of chain). But I totally understand that most won't go down that route to help cure a problem that is slightly annoying at specific time (like when filtering/commuting).
And the fueling is still not perfect. It can hunt between 2200-2600 revs if you are not really, really gentle with the throttle.
If I had access to a rolling road, or proper tuner - I would go down that route. But here on the small island of Mallorca, I have to use plug and play modules that I can control via my PC or directly from the module.

#14 ·
Had pretty much the same thing happen on my newly bought Bobber riding the 40 miles home yesterday, through various terrains and traffic patterns. I think it's the gearing. The bike is made for accelerating, and as long as you're accelerating, or cruising steadily above 2400 rpm, it's fine. But it is hard to find a sweet spot for just putting along at lower speeds/rpm. I feel like for a casual riding bike there should be a good bit of leaway between say 1700 and 2400 rpm, but in that range the bike is constantly either lugging or engine braking it feels like. I wish it were different, but I suspect it's just something to get used to (and encourages one to overuse the clutch..).

#15 ·
Hi,

Thanks again for the replies. I doubt it is my riding style as I've had lots of different bikes in the past and this is the first bike I've felt like this. I'm talking about when I keep it at exactly the same RPM e.g. 2500 that the bike feels like the power is intermittent. If the revs were alternating I would understand but the revs are constant but the power feels inconsistent.

I'm thinking maybe it is a characteristic of the bike - trevor, I think you're right as when accelerating the bike is very happy! Lugging is a good way to explain the issue. I've tried in Rain mode and it seems a little better, but will try this week when commuting to see if it feels better. I'll let you know plus what they say on it's first service.

Cheers,
Rob

#19 · (Edited)
Hello everyone
I would like improved braking and that they would be the solutions, change the original brake pads or radically buy the kit brembo freespirit front and rear....
Changing the brake pads alone will achieve very little.
Your best bet is to either learn to squeeze the front lever HARD (while using the rear too) in order to get maximum braking performance from the OEM setup.
Or upgrade both to enjoy reduced force at the levers, more feel and uprated stopping power.

Here is an interesting THREAD for you, JO.

#20 ·
Regarding the "stutering" between first and second, my bike sometimes does that at slower speeds. I chalk it up to a very lean setup, as my Suzuki VStrom did the same thing until I got it dyno-tuned. I think it's a simple as that.

Brakes... puleese...I ride older Harleys and I'm used to "wooden" brake feel. The Triumph stops on a dime compared to those bikes. Maybe just my bike? Maybe I have unusually strong grip? I don't really think it's an issue.

#21 ·
My booster plug solved all the low rpm issues; I can hold 1600rpm in 6th and gentle acceleration is possible, just about, from there..but I do have some cut up standard pipes on (eBay special, seller called them ‘hot shots’) so not sure if it’s a lucky combination?
Regards brakes, I agree, not sports bike standard, but better than most others and certainly an upgrade on the old sportster I had.

#26 ·
Me too... my Bobber was awful when I first got it... adjusted the chain, fitted a booster plug, and bought some EBS HH pads... much better all round... one thing I have learned is to be slower on the gearchanges... closing the throttle fully on the changes is infinitely preferable to powershifting which makes the bike lurch...
Another thing I have learned is its a bike for cruising and not thrashing... its a bit like making yer granny run 100 yards... she can do it but she won't like it... had mine up to the ton and TBH I'd not be doing it again in a hurry... just didn't feel stable... well not like my old Thunderbird Sort anyway

#29 ·
Ah right. We OK on the dual carriageway but on the mountain roads in Wales we have speed patrol officers that break that speed habit pretty quickly.

They are called sheep and if they hear your doing over 70mph those fuckers will just walk out infront of you and martyr themselves whilst turning you into a bunch of flowers on the kerbside which the rest of the flock can eat. ☠🐑

#30 ·
Here in Deepest Essex the only sheep we see are in the meat section at Tesco.... potholes now... well thats a different kettle en Poisson... makes a mockery of the limited suspension travel I tells thee... my spine is gonna have the structural integrity of 3lb of mince pretty soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.