Anyone own (or owned) a Moto Guzzi? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Anyone own (or owned) a Moto Guzzi?

I know, not entirely relevant to the Bobber forum, but as I think of possibilities for trading up my Royal Enfield, this new Guzzi V7 III Anniversario (pics attached) has gotten on my radar, in addition to the Bobber. I have test ridden both briefly, and like both at first blush. The Guzzi has a smaller engine and less HP, but felt zippy enough for me (compared to my 500cc single cylinder). Guzzis seem to have a mixed record with regard to liability, but I gather the newer ones are better.

Anyway, obviously a pretty subjective comparison, but just curious if anyone wants to weigh in on the relative merits of the two bikes. Either performance, reliability, or sheer coolness factor.. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mg 1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7425   Click image for larger version

Name:	mg 3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	7433   Click image for larger version

Name:	mg 2.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	7441  
Roy likes this.
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a hard time getting into bench seats, but the rest is sharp.

How old is your RE? The newer ones have an alluminium block opposed to the iron, disk break up front and EFI. Perhaps trade up to a newer RE? I know, may not totally feel like a change....

I was riding one that was the iron, with drums front and rear, bench changed to single. Was good for a putt-about...the Guzzi prob more reliable in every regard though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	7449  
Roy likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I agree totally -- really like the brown leather with all that chrome (more than I might have expected), but much prefer a solo seat.

My RE is one of the newer UCEs, 2015. There's a lot that I like about it, including the sound of single cylinder, but it's pushing it to get up past 60-65 mph without feeling like it's about to fly apart.

Have you seen the custom V-Twins that this guy in Columbus OH makes out of the old iron barrel Enfields? Pretty darn cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
I have a hard time getting into bench seats, but the rest is sharp.

How old is your RE? The newer ones have an alluminium block opposed to the iron, disk break up front and EFI. Perhaps trade up to a newer RE? I know, may not totally feel like a change....

I was riding one that was the iron, with drums front and rear, bench changed to single. Was good for a putt-about...the Guzzi prob more reliable in every regard though.
muensterDeath likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 PM

I have a modern Guzzi. Mines the Audace. I love it. It is very reliable and rides great. I have had my butt on the new V7 III and it is excellent. I will own one one day. Don't get sidetracked by the numbers. The motor pits out great power for Street riding. The motor feels much better then the older V7's. I almost bought one instead of the Bobber.
majstevetrevor likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

I am a big guzzi fan. I've attached some pix of my V50 Monza, that I'm restoring in a cafe racer style. You can read the gory details here: My V50 Monza Rebuild. Wildguzzi.com is a great resource for anyone interested in getting a Guzzi.

I bought one of the V7 series when it first came out, a V7 classic, and had a poor experience with it. It was a lovely bike, it must be said, but it leaked oil constantly, and the dealer's attempts to fix it only made things worse, to the point where I lost confidence in both bike and dealer.

That said, many people on WildGuzzi had a great experience, and last year a friend bought a V7 II and loves it. They are now onto the V7III, which produces more power (by about 10%) but retains the lovely riding nature of the bike. I truly believe the V7 offers plenty of power and torque for any real-world on-road motorcycling task.

BUT, you need to live close to a dealer. The base reliability of a Guzzi is way better than the bikes of the 70s and 80s, but well behind Triumph or Ducati, let alone the big four Japanese. I could only really recommend a Guzzi to someone willing to get their hands dirty, or who lives close to a good dealer.

-Pasta
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1414_small.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	7457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412_small.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	7465  
majstevetrevor and Roy like this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 PM

I own a v7ii stone, have tons of fun with it, faster than it looks on paper. No problems with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eisen77, majstevetrevor and Roy like this.

Last edited by fminus; 09-06-2017 at 10:20 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all this feedback. I am definitely tempted by the new V7 III (Anniversario, pictured above). I have wondered about how difficult it might be to get work done on it. There is only one dealer in the area (which is where the bike I am looking at is), but it's not super close to me. Also, they are fairly new, so not entirely clear they will last over the next 10 years. Probably the Bobber is the better bet for me, though it is about $3000 more than the Guzzi. I hope to go test ride each again soon, and see if one grabs me more definitively than the other.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:18 PM

One of my co-workers is on the fence between a Bonneville (either T-120 or T-100) or the V7. One thing that has him leaning towards the V7 is the ease of adjusting the valves over the Triumphs as he likes to do a lot of his own maintenance. He's test ridden the Moto Guzzi's and says there's plenty of power there. Has yet to test ride a Bonneville, so his mind may quickly change after that.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Moto Guzzis will definitely appeal to those who like to do their own maintenance :-)

I don't want to come over all negative on Guzzi, the V7 is a lovely bike, handles well, and that engine is definitely easy to work on, especially the top end. Comparing it to the Bonnie, I would say that Triumph has a clear advantage in terms of build quality and reliability, but everything else comes down to personal preference.

I have a Tiger (Xr series) which is not a retro bike but a really modern bike in the 800cc middleweight range. I totally get liking the looks of the Bonnie and V7, but my Tigger is clearly the better bike on any rational criteria. But it's whatever floats you boat :-)

Enjoy wrestling with the dilemma,

- Pasta
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:44 PM

I have had three Guzzi's with never an issue with reliablity. I have had Kawasaki where motors have gone pop. Guzzi's are nice hand built Italian machines. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page