Is it bad to use the Engine Cut-Off Switch? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Is it bad to use the Engine Cut-Off Switch?

I know the manual states to use the key ignition to turn off the bike, and the cut-off switch is only to be used for emergencies. Does it have to do something with the Bobber's electronics in that using the cut-off switch will damage something? I know a lot of people including me, were always taught (from MSF courses) to always use the cut-off switch first, and then the key. (However when I took the MSF course it was like 20 years ago, so don't know if they've changed anything - but that was what they taught). I do like keeping both hands on the bars when turning the bike off. Plus if you're on any kind of incline, I would definitely like to keep my right hand on the brake (trying to reach down to the key location doesn't bode well for those types of situations). Does anybody use the cut-off switch? Or if that is bad, would using the kick stand (which cuts off the engine when down) be a better option? Thanks for your input!
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 PM

I asked this when picking up my Bobber at the weekend. I was told it was bad thing given the electics - very bad. It was explained in more detail but to be honest all I wanted to do was get on it and ride away so can't say I was listening. And even if I was listening I'm not,too sure I'd have understood!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie Dog View Post
I asked this when picking up my Bobber at the weekend. I was told it was bad thing given the electics - very bad. It was explained in more detail but to be honest all I wanted to do was get on it and ride away so can't say I was listening. And even if I was listening I'm not,too sure I'd have understood!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure with the complex electrical system of the Bobber (and I'm sure other Triumphs as well) that the Cut-off switch may disrupt some kind of power down sequence or something. All high-tech stuff that I don't understand. I'll use the key ignition and follow what the manual recommends since I'd rather be safe than sorry.
frank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdannygunz View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure with the complex electrical system of the Bobber (and I'm sure other Triumphs as well) that the Cut-off switch may disrupt some kind of power down sequence or something. All high-tech stuff that I don't understand. I'll use the key ignition and follow what the manual recommends since I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Smart move, the last thing we need with a new bike like this are issues that will take us off the road. And if you're like me with some nice seasonal weather right now, you just want to ride.

I'll sit on the sidelines and wait for other members to do it
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:57 AM

I was told the emergency switch is discouraged because of electronics on the bike. Particularly if you were to turn off the bake off using the kill, and then forget to turn off the key. supposedly, this will drain the battery if left that way, and cause major computer damages.When I park, even on an incline, I have got used to switching to neutral, holding my front brake with my right hand, using my left hand to reach across and turn off the key, then sifting into first gear. It felt weird the first 20 of 30 times, but now it's natural, and I don't even think about it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 PM

Some how this is not making sense to me. Why in the world would they provide a kill switch if it would damage the bike if you used it? I usually pull up and put the kickstand down which shuts down the engine. I then remove the key and go on my way.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
MSF course teaches to use "engine shut off switch"....also tell you it's not called a "kill switch"...then use the key.

I'm to fat to reach across with my left and and get the key on the Bobber....

Using the kick stand to shut the motor of seems identical to using the "emergency/engine shut off/kill switch and would allow to leave in gear with hands on the bars/break.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
MSF course teaches to use "engine shut off switch"....also tell you it's not called a "kill switch"...then use the key.

Using the kick stand to shut the motor of seems identical to using the "emergency/engine shut off/kill switch and would allow to leave in gear with hands on the bars/break.
I agree. Look at the insert from the manual below. If you read carefully they are not stating not to kill the engine by using the switch. They are basically saying you should use the key to turn off the electrical system if you use the switch as to not damage the system or drain the battery. Basically, shut down the engine with the switch and remove the key.

From the manual;
Note: • Although the engine stop switch stops the engine, it does not turn off all the electrical circuits and may cause difficulty in restarting the engine due to a discharged battery. Ordinarily, only the ignition switch should be used to stop the engine.

Caution Do not leave the ignition switch in the ON position unless the engine is running as this may cause damage to electrical components and will discharge the battery.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post

Totally agree with not calling the switch a "kill-switch".

I actually tried flipping down the stand while the engine was running for the first time to see if the engine would cut off. But it stayed on. I was in neutral, so maybe it needs to be in gear, then if you flip down the stand will the engine shut off?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdannygunz View Post
Totally agree with not calling the switch a "kill-switch".

I actually tried flipping down the stand while the engine was running for the first time to see if the engine would cut off. But it stayed on. I was in neutral, so maybe it needs to be in gear, then if you flip down the stand will the engine shut off?
Yes, if in any gear it dropping the kick stand will shut the engine off. Neutral and engine stays on.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page