Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Has anyone hit top speed?

18K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  Wooden rat 
#1 ·
Has anyone hit the top speed on the Bobber? What was it? And how did it feel? I don’t have the balls myself, been about 90 mph and it felt fine, not sure if you could hold on with the wind at 120 ha

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, it hits a predetermined wall right around 110mph.

I suspect Triumph limited it there due to liability concerns. The marginal rigidity of the frame joints simply do not provide a stiff enough chassis to be completely safe going much faster, especially if the screws aren't properly torqued down and you hit a rough patch of pavement. Tank slappers aren't fun or safe.

-GPZ/Gary

#5 ·
Well the tyres are specced to 150 ish, had a tad over 110 on the speedo but the riding position is carp at that speed, my errr large frame makes a helluva speed brake, tho i dont know how well it would handle at 150 lol

#9 ·
Pretty moot point on the Bobber and even if you live next to a German autobahn or racetrack with a long straight, it would still be the wrong bike; uncomfortable and probably pretty unstable. The OEM tires, suspension, engine/revs/air intake and brakes (or aerodynamics) are not set up for very high velocity.
I’ve been over 250kph on a gixxer 1000 and it’s neither exhilarating nor fun. Kind of boring actually!
What gets me excited are skills like Motorcycle gymkhana and advanced riding. Those skills take dedication, skill & talent. Twisting a throttle doesn’t.

*Just my personal opinion and in no way meant to offend you or your question :)

#11 ·
Pretty moot point on the Bobber and even if you live next to a German autobahn or racetrack with a long straight, it would still be the wrong bike; uncomfortable and probably pretty unstable. The OEM tires, suspension, engine/revs/air intake and brakes (or aerodynamics) are not set up for very high velocity.
I’ve been over 250kph on a gixxer 1000 and it’s neither exhilarating nor fun. Kind of boring actually!
What gets me excited are skills like Motorcycle gymkhana and advanced riding. Those skills take dedication, skill & talent. Twisting a throttle doesn’t.

*Just my personal opinion and in no way meant to offend you or your question :)
I know what you mean about high speeds on faired sports bikes. Speeds in excess of 150mph on my old ZX9R felt a bit easy and uneventful except that the world around me was flashing past like a sped up video. I think the scariest thing was when I slowed down to 70mph it felt so slow that I could get off and walk!

The Bobber's entertaining at any speed.

#14 · (Edited)
I've had the Bobber up to about 90 mph on the Interstate when I was trying to get past a bunch of cars. 90 mph was very uncomfortable for me. The Bobber is a great bike for easy riding around 45 to 55 mph on secondary roads.

20 years ago I got a BMW up to 245 kph on the autobahn. That was enough for me. My reaction time would not be fast enough for me to do that again.

#15 ·
I agree, running at 85/90 is very uncomfortable. However some weeks back I ran at 90+ for a good stint to test out my windshield at hight speed and it was actually very comfortable indeed. The bike just purred along and I was very comfortable, could have stayed at that speed for an hour easily.

All depends on one's set up I guess. As you point out though, running those kings of speeds without a shield is hard work.

Cheerio,

Roy

#33 ·
I've seen the ton as my inner child was aiming for it. It's not a place I'd like to stay at for very long, it was far too noisy for one and my tinnitus couldn't cope with it plus i was running out of road as I live on a very small island. ?

#34 ·
This seems to have turned into a who went the fastest convo so here’s my entry. I went 2000km per hour!!!!!, wasn’t scarey at all? In fact the air hostess on the that Concorde made me feel very relaxed, Just waiting for a fighter pilot to comment now lol there gotta be one lurking here somewhere lol.

Sport bikes feel quick but go 120mph on a bike with some big apes on and you feel like your alive for sure.

#39 ·
I

Yeah it's nice here , I'm Island born and breed and been here all my life. I probably spend more time cleaning the bike than riding it! ? I'm weird though as I get a strange pleasure from it plus I get a bit of peace and quiet out in the garage. ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.