Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Riding and Photography

6K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Rob Axel 
#1 ·
Two of my favorite hobbies are motorcycles and taking pictures. In the old days - when I rode a BMW R1200GS - it was easy to combine those two hobbies. I could carry all the camera equipment that I needed. That isn't true on the Bobber even though I now shoot with a relatively small m4/3 camera.

However, yesterday Apple came out with a decent (or better than decent) camera on the new iPhone 11 pro. I always carry a phone and my present iPhone SE is ancient so I guess it is finally time for an upgrade. That way I can take pictures and ride without carrying around all the gear.

I never thought I would be one of those people who does photography with a phone. Oh well. :|

#5 ·
I too love photography.
I have had iPhones since they first came out, but now I'm jumping ship. After two years my 6s+ has a camera problem, as does my friends. Apple have told us both that they will give us (give) a refurb item for £280! Someone else repaired phone.

I now have a Samsung s10. The camera is superb. It will take a bit of getting used to the new OS so I'm carrying two phones.

Trying to find a away to carry my Son A7iii and lens with me :D

Attachments

#9 ·
I've found my phone (Samsung S10) is wonderful. Very versatile. And if it's a daylight pic, especially panos, or a night pic that I'm just intending to share on social media, then my phone is what I reach for. It's just so easy. And always on me. But every so often I escape to go shooting on my bikes.

I have a great setup on my Sportster for weekend escapes with my camera. I use a hard Pelican case that has the benefit of fitting any sportster with detachable hardware. So not only great for my weekends away from home, but was awesome for my overseas travels as the case had wheels for transporting through airports and of course protected camera and lenses well. I took it on two trips to the US that was a mix of riding and shooting. I usually had space for some clothes, a trio of lenses, one body, some filters and the tripod strapped to the lid once on the bike. Sounds like overkill as I type it out, but was a great way to seek out landscapes while also attending meets.

On the Bobber I've really only done two camera outings, both local spots, one early morning, one for the night sky and stars. I love that my Bobber is quiet so I can sneak out pre dawn or return after midnight without waking the entire valley. But luggage options are limited to my camera back pack and hanging my tripod on that is just plain awkward. If I can find a better solution for my tripod I'd be super happy.

Stars and light trails on a bike outing...

#11 ·
I too love riding and taken pics on the road, I recently moved homes and told my wife, any pictures on the wall of our new house will be pictures we have taken from our adventures, I have been fortunate most bikes I have had recently allowed me to carry my digital SLR and tripod, but now I am researching a small pocket camera that I can take on the road with me when I am out on the bobber, nothing against the phone but I just feel better with a camera in my hand.

#15 ·
I started digging around in my trove of junk and discovered an old fanny pack that perfectly fits my Panasonic GX7 or GX8 camera with a lens or two. Now I have an easy way to carry a decent small camera.

#19 ·
I also love photography.. years ago I did a ride for Autism in Jacksonville and shot the ride. All I had was Canon 20D (slr). I wanted to take pics as I rode... problem is the shutter is on the right.. and so is the throttle of my motorcycle, and can I ride one handed ?
I solved this with a wriststrap and a modified remote shutter button. The strap allowed me to let the camera to hang from my wrist when I had my hands on the grips, the modified button was attached to the BOTTOM of the camera.. and I shot left handed UPSIDE-DOWN.
I still shoot this way, but use a battery grip.. it makes for some great photos!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.