Riding and Photography - Triumph Bobber Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Riding and Photography

Two of my favorite hobbies are motorcycles and taking pictures. In the old days - when I rode a BMW R1200GS - it was easy to combine those two hobbies. I could carry all the camera equipment that I needed. That isn't true on the Bobber even though I now shoot with a relatively small m4/3 camera.

However, yesterday Apple came out with a decent (or better than decent) camera on the new iPhone 11 pro. I always carry a phone and my present iPhone SE is ancient so I guess it is finally time for an upgrade. That way I can take pictures and ride without carrying around all the gear.

I never thought I would be one of those people who does photography with a phone. Oh well.
Trace likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:24 AM

I like to carry Sony rx100m6 pocket camera....

eisen77, gfspencer and Roy like this.

Last edited by Tom Tenore; 09-11-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Roy

Garage
I don't have an I-phone (and don't want one) but do often carry my old Canon SX10IS.

Although I really should buy a smaller/newer camera for trips out.

Cheerio,

Roy
gfspencer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM

I just bought a Canon SX620....seems pretty good for the price
gfspencer and Roy like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:11 PM

I too love photography.
I have had iPhones since they first came out, but now I'm jumping ship. After two years my 6s+ has a camera problem, as does my friends. Apple have told us both that they will give us (give) a refurb item for £280! Someone else repaired phone.

I now have a Samsung s10. The camera is superb. It will take a bit of getting used to the new OS so I'm carrying two phones.

Trying to find a away to carry my Son A7iii and lens with me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 17.20.50.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	37755  
eisen77, gfspencer, Roy and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:28 PM

I too love both riding and photography; This is why I typically ride alone, can stop as often as I want to 😀. I use my iPhone with decent results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80C0716A-2DFB-463E-A6F6-B0BDF1A5B0A9_1568233721186.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	37757   Click image for larger version

Name:	CDBA1B35-BD91-4C71-869C-4F9823995184_1568233734965.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	37759  
eisen77, chezqui, Trace and 4 others like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezqui View Post
I too love photography.
I have had iPhones since they first came out, but now I'm jumping ship. After two years my 6s+ has a camera problem, as does my friends. Apple have told us both that they will give us (give) a refurb item for £280! Someone else repaired phone.

I now have a Samsung s10. The camera is superb. It will take a bit of getting used to the new OS so I'm carrying two phones.

Trying to find a away to carry my Son A7iii and lens with me

I didn't really picture you looking like that...... don't those feathers get ruffled when you ride?
chezqui and Trace like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRunner View Post
I too love both riding and photography; This is why I typically ride alone, can stop as often as I want to 😀. I use my iPhone with decent results
Nice shots!

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
I've found my phone (Samsung S10) is wonderful. Very versatile. And if it's a daylight pic, especially panos, or a night pic that I'm just intending to share on social media, then my phone is what I reach for. It's just so easy. And always on me. But every so often I escape to go shooting on my bikes.

I have a great setup on my Sportster for weekend escapes with my camera. I use a hard Pelican case that has the benefit of fitting any sportster with detachable hardware. So not only great for my weekends away from home, but was awesome for my overseas travels as the case had wheels for transporting through airports and of course protected camera and lenses well. I took it on two trips to the US that was a mix of riding and shooting. I usually had space for some clothes, a trio of lenses, one body, some filters and the tripod strapped to the lid once on the bike. Sounds like overkill as I type it out, but was a great way to seek out landscapes while also attending meets.

On the Bobber I've really only done two camera outings, both local spots, one early morning, one for the night sky and stars. I love that my Bobber is quiet so I can sneak out pre dawn or return after midnight without waking the entire valley. But luggage options are limited to my camera back pack and hanging my tripod on that is just plain awkward. If I can find a better solution for my tripod I'd be super happy.

Stars and light trails on a bike outing...

~ "Orange is the happiest color" ~
My Photography Website: www.photobytrace.com
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Two of my favorite hobbies are motorcycles and taking pictures. In the old days - when I rode a BMW R1200GS - it was easy to combine those two hobbies. I could carry all the camera equipment that I needed. That isn't true on the Bobber even though I now shoot with a relatively small m4/3 camera.

However, yesterday Apple came out with a decent (or better than decent) camera on the new iPhone 11 pro. I always carry a phone and my present iPhone SE is ancient so I guess it is finally time for an upgrade. That way I can take pictures and ride without carrying around all the gear.

I never thought I would be one of those people who does photography with a phone. Oh well.
This is why some directors like Soderberg are shooting full length movies on iPhones. You are not alone
gfspencer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page