12 minute tune - the placebo effect - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
12 minute tune - the placebo effect

Afternoon all

Can't say whether the 12 minute tune is for real in a very technical way but on my first ride post upsetting the neighbours with a long period of noisy idling, the bike nearly pulled out from under me and now sounds like a Thor gargling with thunderbolts. She's been in for a service earlier this year and the Vance & Hines pipes were installed by a dealer prior to my taking ownership so I would like to think maps are all up to date.

Either way, this is the first time that my wife has said "I could hear you coming from the High Street" (about a quarter mile away)

E.
BOBBYP and ysoslo like this.

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Bobber View Post
Afternoon all

Can't say whether the 12 minute tune is for real in a very technical way but on my first ride post upsetting the neighbours with a long period of noisy idling, the bike nearly pulled out from under me and now sounds like a Thor gargling with thunderbolts. She's been in for a service earlier this year and the Vance & Hines pipes were installed by a dealer prior to my taking ownership so I would like to think maps are all up to date.

Either way, this is the first time that my wife has said "I could hear you coming from the High Street" (about a quarter mile away)

E.

I lost a gear when I did the deed. Best "mod" so far...especially for the price.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

It works

Slightly off topic, but:
As there are quite a few of us here on the forum with BMW GS’s (1200LC) there is an equivalent of the “12 min tune”...

Mike J Commo and Ed_Bobber like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:10 AM

Garage
I was very skeptical prior to doing the 12 Minute Tune, but immediately noticed a drastic improvement as well. I haven't had the map updated on my bike since adding the Gassers exhaust last summer, so I need to ask them to update when I get the 10,000 mile service done.

Each one matters.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Bobber View Post
Afternoon all

E.
I take it the engine has be cold before starting it? I looked back at the original thread where it said that you had to wait for the fan to kick in before the 12 minute tune starts but there was no specific mention of whether the bike had to be started cold or not (maybe I overlooked it).

Either way, like yourself, I'll be public enemy number one in my street again when I try the tune!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
I take it the engine has be cold before starting it? I looked back at the original thread where it said that you had to wait for the fan to kick in before the 12 minute tune starts but there was no specific mention of whether the bike had to be started cold or not (maybe I overlooked it).

Either way, like yourself, I'll be public enemy number one in my street again when I try the tune!
From cold yes... be sure not to touch the throttle at all whilst idling, start the 12 minutes once the fans kick in. Then simply turn the ignition off, being mindful not to touch the throttle 👍
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
From cold yes... be sure not to touch the throttle at all whilst idling, start the 12 minutes once the fans kick in. Then simply turn the ignition off, being mindful not to touch the throttle 👍
I did mine after riding it home from work - 15 minutes max. It was a hot day and the fans were kicking in when I was stopped in traffic. I was a bit skeptical anyway but thought it couldn't hurt. So, started without touching the throttle, fans kicked in pretty soon afterwards and left it annoying the neighbours for 12 minutes. Job done.

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:34 PM

When I had the shop install my new pipes they did a retune. Is it still advantageous to do the 12 minute thing?

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Folks,

Yes I've done this a couple of times now. My logic being that it's easy and there's nothing to loos. Bikes runs like a Swish watch, so no complaints..

Cheerio,

Roy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
When I had the shop install my new pipes they did a retune. Is it still advantageous to do the 12 minute thing?
It definitely won't hurt anything to do your own 12 Minute Tune after the shop did their thing.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page