Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Bobber's Biggest (and funniest) Critic Finally Concedes...

12K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  DesertRunner 
#1 ·
"It's a Great Motorcycle"

BEFORE RIDING A BOBBER:

AFTER RIDING ONE:

You've got to admit, Triumph's original promotional video for the Bobber truly was the gayest sales pitch in the history of motorcycles.

-GPz/Gary

#8 ·
Yes, that's right. I'm not really anti-hipster and I'm glad there are new waves of younger motorcyclists that keep the flag flying. I know a lot of them will be buying into the "look" but I hope they appreciate what their motorcycles are capable of and actually enjoy the ride as well the pose. In that sense, the Bobber is perfect for these times - it has the looks. It also has the handling and power that you can keep on enjoying once the initial honeymoon period is over.

(In saying that though, I still think "gorgeous bike that" whenever I open the garage door.)

#14 · (Edited)
Shadetree was full of beans on his main point that Triumph using the name "Bobber" was tantamount to telling people that "this is what the bike is supposed to look like." I mean, how many bikes have there been where the original manufacturer offered as many optional or add-on goodies as Triumph offered for the Bobber within a year or so of its original release? Contrary to his point, to me the Bobber was a wonderfully blank slate from which to customize to your own taste via factory goodies or any number of other aftermarket vendors. Plus A&J Cycles really took the lead on making most of the good stuff available for one-stop-shopping.

On the other hand, I completely agree with Shadetree that the name "Bobber" was more than a little silly. I could not wait to get those side panels off and do away with that dumb name. Even when I was 10 or 12 years old I was coherent enough to ask my dad why many Chevy pickups still on the dealer lot had a "CUSTOM" badge on the front fender. Same deal -- if it came from the factory that way then obviously it's not CUSTOM and it's not a BOBBER (at least not yet).

Another important point to keep in mind is that regardless of how clueless Triumph's marketing department may have seemed in aiming their Bobber marketing at gays and/or hipsters (let's just sum them up as less-than-masculine males)... somehow IT WORKED! It was the best selling model in Triumph's then 115 year history. Personally I think the engineering/design department crushed it so well that the product simply overcame the misguided marketing and stupid name. But it's pretty hard to prove that without paying for research. On the other hand, the Devils Advocate could turn the table on me and say the name "Bobber" was absolutely brilliant because the bike is so incredibly easy and inviting to bob.

In any case, aren't motorcycles and their surrounding culture, characters and marketing methods wonderfully interesting? Especially the culture and incredible fun involved. For example, the classic documentary "On Any Sunday" instantly captivated me as a little kid. Thirty seconds after that movie ended I was already gathering up change to start saving for a motorcycle and I could hardly sleep thinking about the day I would finally get one. And I doubt I was the only fish that got hooked by that wonderful lure.

-GPz/Gary

#19 ·
Shadetree was full of beans on his main point that Triumph using the name "Bobber" was tantamount to telling people that "this is what the bike is supposed to look like." I mean, how many bikes have there been where the original manufacturer offered as many optional or add-on goodies as Triumph offered for the Bobber within a year or so of its original release?

-GPz/Gary
What???

Harley offer more bolt-on parts for their bikes than any other manufacturer and that includes Triumph, they also have a bike called the Street Bob, where's the hate for that as it's not a REAL bobber?

Or the Street Rod, which isn't a REAL hot rod?

Or the 1200 Custom, which isn't a REAL custom?

#15 · (Edited)
It's Triumph's biggest seller because there is nothing from any manufacturer IMO that compares favorably to it.

Sure Harley has the ancient Sportster and the Indian Scout is alright but neither has the Bobber's combination of aesthetics, handling and performance.

Shadetree is probably not exactly what Triumph had in mind when they made the bobber. He makes you smile, sometimes serious but mostly entertaining and fun, much like our bobber.

[/url]

#18 ·
Your opinions are fine but let's try to be factual and intellectually honest. Regarding "Triumph hating," Shadetree Surgeon and his lady ("Triumph Chick" on YouTube) have been devoted Triumph fans for years. He rides a Rocket III and she rides a Street Triple. He also features a diverse group of riders in his videos and is definitely not homophobic. He's just a bit of an @sshole at times and laughs a little too hard at his own jokes sometimes. Kinda like me and most of my friends. :laugh:

-GPz/Gary

#21 ·
I bought a Bobber based on its looks and the test reviews that raved about its handling. Triumph advertising was silly but no more silly than the Lincoln ads featuring Mathew McConaghy or Harley ads featuring people dressed up like pirates. The Bobber strikes a chord with people, I receive compliments every time I ride it, people speed up or slow down to get a better look at it. When I let others ride it, they all come back with look of “****, this is a fun ride”. I remember seeing this critics review and thinking, “you are wrong, Triumph is going to sell every single one they make.”

#28 ·
I bought a Bobber based on its looks and the test reviews that raved about its handling. Triumph advertising was silly but no more silly than the Lincoln ads featuring Mathew McConaghy or Harley ads featuring people dressed up like pirates. The Bobber strikes a chord with people, I receive compliments every time I ride it, people speed up or slow down to get a better look at it. When I let others ride it, they all come back with look of “****, this is a fun ride”. I remember seeing this critics review and thinking, “you are wrong, Triumph is going to sell every single one they make.”
Every time I see the Mathew McConaghy ad I turn off my television. :| The second worse add is Tom Selleck telling about reverse mortgages. You can tell that I watch too much tv. :frown2:

#26 ·
I never saw that ad until it was posted. I have to say it the ad was ripe for a good riffing, and I thought it was funny as heck. I think the issue really was riffing on the people that like the Bobber. He sort of went "off the rails" with, "the Bobber sucks and so do people who like the bike".

But the second video where he rode the bike, I think he came to that realization. Some of us that has been around the block learned long ago not to care what others think of our choices, whether it be about our bike, or how we mod our bikes. Others are not making our payments. However many riders are sensitive to "fitting in" with the crowd and are self conscious. I'm sure the designer of the Bobber got a raft of shi* from someone for the design, and was even told it would never sell as it was "trying too hard to be a Harley". Thankfully, the designer didn't listen, and Triumph released the model.

#38 ·
LOL, yeah wasn’t that spray paint thing a kick in the teeth? I’d been weighing a Softail Slim against the Bobber Black for a while and when I came upon that video last fall it made my decision for me. I’ll probably pick up a Slim down the road used if Harley doesn’t do something else to piss me off in the meantime.

- GPz/Gary

#40 ·
I showed my wife the Mamoa spray paint video and she was genuinely put off by it. (Duh, let’s make it black but not mask anything off”) I went to purchase a Sportster in 1996 and walked out of the dealership with brand new Heritage Softail with her encouragement because she knew it was my dream bike. I know many people still feel the same way about H-D and that vid just chaps my hide......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.