Kent, UK -- Any recommendations? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Kent, UK -- Any recommendations?

So, I'll be an American visiting Kent for a few days, from Sept 14-18. Any recommendations from the Brits? Certainly any motorcycle related events or activities would be welcome, but also general recommendations for food or places to visit as well. Considering renting a bike, but a little nervous about riding on the left side of the road -- no room for error on a moto.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstevetrevor View Post
So, I'll be an American visiting Kent for a few days, from Sept 14-18. Any recommendations from the Brits? Certainly any motorcycle related events or activities would be welcome, but also general recommendations for food or places to visit as well. Considering renting a bike, but a little nervous about riding on the left side of the road -- no room for error on a moto.
You need to speak to Mike J Commo! He lives in that part of the country.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:26 PM

France is really close.
majstevetrevor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
You need to speak to Mike J Commo! He lives in that part of the country.
I certainly do

Kent is known as the Garden Of England thanks to its beautiful countryside. There are great riding roads everywhere with easy access to lots of coastal towns. There are a number of biker meets to visit if the weather is good.

I wouldn’t be worried about riding on the wrong/correct side of the road. I do it all the time when I head over the channel and it takes but a moment to adapt.

If you do end up hiring a bike and want to head out together for the day just give me a shout. I can potentially be available on Sunday or Monday whilst you’re here but I’d need a little notice.

You can reach me here [email protected]
eisen77 and majstevetrevor like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

You better be available on short notice when I pop over
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezqui View Post
France is really close.

I actually thought about trying to visit Baak motorcycles in Lyon, but a bit too far for a short trip I think. Love their builds though, and they have some parts for the Bobber coming soon I hear.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:42 PM

Canterbury is always worth a visit for the Cathedral, but with the weak pound it will be heaving at the weekends with Belgian and French shoppers. As Chezqui says France is readily accessible either via the Channel Tunnel at Folkestone (expensive) or the ferry at Dover (which has an excellent castle). Calais is a shithole, but its only about 35mins from there to Brugge in Belgium, and with the bonus you get to ride on the wrong side of the road. Its a medieval city so you are better off getting a hotel on the outskirts and ride a bus into town. Great beer in Belgium. Back in Kent you could visit Churchills home at Chartham and not far from there is Leeds Castle which is a bit twee but the surrounding area is lovely. Whitstable not far from Canterbury is a nice seaside town with great seafood. In Chatham they have the old naval dockyard which is supposed to be really interesting. Not sure about renting a bike. There is this place in Tonbridge buy I am sure there are others. Kent has lots of narrow lanes and is ideal for pottering around on a bike. Oh and Sandwich near me is nice place to visit.
majstevetrevor likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
I certainly do

Kent is known as the Garden Of England thanks to its beautiful countryside. There are great riding roads everywhere with easy access to lots of coastal towns. There are a number of biker meets to visit if the weather is good.

I wouldn’t be worried about riding on the wrong/correct side of the road. I do it all the time when I head over the channel and it takes but a moment to adapt.

If you do end up hiring a bike and want to head out together for the day just give me a shout. I can potentially be available on Sunday or Monday whilst you’re here but I’d need a little notice.

You can reach me here [email protected]

Thanks! That's awful nice of you. I doubt it will work, but I am going to explore options. Do you happen to know of a motorcycle rental that you'd recommend?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's_yer_firkin View Post
Canterbury is always worth a visit for the Cathedral, but with the weak pound it will be heaving at the weekends with Belgian and French shoppers. As Chezqui says France is readily accessible either via the Channel Tunnel at Folkestone (expensive) or the ferry at Dover (which has an excellent castle). Calais is a shithole, but its only about 35mins from there to Brugge in Belgium, and with the bonus you get to ride on the wrong side of the road. Its a medieval city so you are better off getting a hotel on the outskirts and ride a bus into town. Great beer in Belgium. Back in Kent you could visit Churchills home at Chartham and not far from there is Leeds Castle which is a bit twee but the surrounding area is lovely. Whitstable not far from Canterbury is a nice seaside town with great seafood. In Chatham they have the old naval dockyard which is supposed to be really interesting. Not sure about renting a bike. There is this place in Tonbridge buy I am sure there are others. Kent has lots of narrow lanes and is ideal for pottering around on a bike. Oh and Sandwich near me is nice place to visit.

Good info -- Thanks!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Oh, btw, I'll be staying in Whitstable...
Mike J Commo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page