Regrets, Mistakes or Your Worst Mods..? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Red face Regrets, Mistakes or Your Worst Mods..?

Well here is a controversial thread...

So following on the heals of my recent thread on 'Your Favorite Two Mods', let's turn this around a little.

What regrets do you have? Mistakes have you made? Or what was your worst mod?

I will get the ball rolling and say the one mod I wish I had not waisted my money on and have switched back, is the Triumph side mounted number plate. I thought this would be a good fit for me and it looked fine but I soon realized that it precluded the fitting of any panniers or saddle bags, so switched back. Now it's in my box of bits languishing in my storage unit.

I'm sure it's a great choice for some builds, it just didn't work for me.

Well, be honest chaps and 'fess up' to your mistakes or regrets..

Cheerio,

Roy
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

For me, hands down the biggest disappointment was the Matris front suspension kit.
A lot of issues during and after install + pathetic after sales assistance all made for a horrible experience. I was so relieved when i took them off.
Matris have lost both my custom and recommendations.

Second regret would have to be the EU SPEC V&H slip one. I should have waited and gone for the US SPEC ones.

Every other mod whether taken off or replaced has been fun and always brought a smile to my face and that’s what it’s all about.

Wunderkind, Bike Bros, FreeSpirits, Ohlins, Corbin UK, Motone & Moskis have all been amazing to deal with and always went above and beyond to make our transactions as smooth and easy as possible.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:02 PM

These threads actually good , as it helps people who are fixing to spend good money have a real world look at a Mod. and perhaps ask a question or two before purchase.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I completely agree, Big Bear.
A big thumbs up to Roy for initiating such an important thread.
Big Bear and Roy like this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well, my worst mistake was not on the Bobber, but on the Guzzi V50 Monza I'm restoring. I decided to paint the engine with aluminum engine enamel, which was half a mistake, but I painted the cylinder barrels red enamel to match the rest of the color scheme. Having done this, I really wish I hadn't. Engines look best either clearcoated, or with nickel/chrome (or gooollldd...) highlights, or maybe black coated. I won't colorize an engine again.

Last edited by Psychopasta; 08-18-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added photo
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Garage
Mine was the black Motone fuel cap, which scratch WAY too easily and looked like crap after a few weeks, so it's been replaced by the brushed silver one from Motone and that's held up well. Another bad purchase I made was the gear shifter peg extender. I bought it at the same time as the brass gear shifter peg, however they can't work together as-is. If I end up switching back to the factory rubber gear shifter peg, then I'll be able to use the extender so I've kept it as a "someday" change.

The other "fail" I had was when I attempted to dye the factory seat a dark brown color to match my other accessories. The seat is vinyl, so trying to strip the dye and re-do it only managed to mess up the finish on the seat. Not a total loss, as I was planning on having it reupholstered at some point anyway, but money was wasted on the materials that didn't work.
eisen77 and Roy like this.

Each one matters.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:48 PM

My biggest mistake was going through four different seats until I found one that didn't hurt my butt.

Psychopasta, I love the Guzzi!

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:12 PM
GPz

In the mid-80s I bought the very first set of four 27mm Mikuni Flat-Slide carburetors ever sold to the public; it was actually a "near production prototype" set, as they called it, which they sold me very reluctantly after I impatiently called Mikuni America about five times. It may have also been the last set they ever sold because those futher muckers never heard of the word "idle." I blipped those finicky bastards three or four times at every stop light / stop sign for two years before finally going back to old school round-slides. Race components sometimes wreak pure misery on the street.

-GPz/Gary
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:04 PM

Garage
Purchased the short K&N filter pods from A&J Cycles with the intention of keeping the side covers. Although many members dislike the side covers I wanted to add the filter pods and retain the covers. My idea of the filter pods is to eliminate the airbox and hopefully get more power. After carefully watching the video I installed the pods and removed the airbox only to realize the side covers snap into the airbox that I removed. So now I run the bike without the side covers and could have installed the longer K&N instead of the short ones. In the future, I plan to purchase the longer pods or the Cone style. For now, I like the look of the short pods with the stock aluminum covers.
Great Black North and Roy like this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:12 PM

Mine would be the Statement Seat. It’s a great seat but I knew when I ordered it that it wasn’t the perfect seat for my builds. I got lazy! As soon as I saw it out of the box I realized I must continue my search. I finally found the Mother Road seat which was exactly what I wanted!!
Still have the brown statement seat in the box with a new black Motone Monza gas cap (also didn’t look right).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36133108-E1F2-4CE5-900D-37D9DF68DA6C_1566184181126.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	36993   Click image for larger version

Name:	45C760D0-C745-4965-BC92-85112A9E2DA1_1566184204424.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	36995   Click image for larger version

Name:	5AC9FB9C-E7CF-469B-90C1-2BF32AFAE180_1566184248468.jpg
Views:	106