Standard Exhaust - Triumph Bobber Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Standard Exhaust

I've seen some great exhaust for this amazing bike, and I do plan on replacing the standard issue one on my own at some point. I must say though, the standard exhaust sounds amazing, I've had comments and noticed many smiles on people's faces when I've revved the engine.

The ONLY reason I'll be changing it, is for cosmetic reasons. I'm not interested in increased power or being overly-loud.

When I do go for a replacement (something thinner, slashed and turned out) are there ones which keep a lot of that low-growl? I know nothing about exhausts.

Cheers,
H
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 PM

Take a look at Trident exhausts. Same look as stock but smaller and lighter. Also has a baffle that you can remove for more sound. However before you change the pipe, maybe you should try a x-pipe which will give you the lower growl that you want.
Great Black North and ysoslo like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Roy

Garage
Hello there H,

I think we have all been down this road one way or the other.

I'm with you on the aesthetics. For me personally I was going with a more traditional look, so went with the pea-shooter style from Bike Bros. It's very smooth running but still give a nice growl when opened up. Probably not what you're looking for in the looks department but there are some good options out there, so I'm sure you will find something to fit your needs.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 2.20.43 PM.png
Views:	57
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	36925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 2.19.36 PM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	36927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 3.55.36 PM.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	36929  
haydnd likes this.

Last edited by Roy; 08-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnd View Post
I've seen some great exhaust for this amazing bike, and I do plan on replacing the standard issue one on my own at some point. I must say though, the standard exhaust sounds amazing, I've had comments and noticed many smiles on people's faces when I've revved the engine.

The ONLY reason I'll be changing it, is for cosmetic reasons. I'm not interested in increased power or being overly-loud.

When I do go for a replacement (something thinner, slashed and turned out) are there ones which keep a lot of that low-growl? I know nothing about exhausts.

Cheers,
H
I hope you have friends in Arizona. Seems like most exhausts are banned from California and vendors wont ship to Ca.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tree View Post
I hope you have friends in Arizona. Seems like most exhausts are banned from California and vendors wont ship to Ca.
I'm in Arizona and happy to help out a fellow forum friend.. Just drop me a line if ever I can be of assistance.

Cheerio,

Roy
ysoslo likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tree View Post

I got mine shipped to CA by Brian/AJCycles without an issue. I don’t think getting the exhaust is the issue. Having a local shop do the work is the problem but it’s a pretty simple job.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnd View Post

Cheers,

H

I have the Vance & Hines fitted it does a great job on the growl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3677.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	566.7 KB
ID:	36947

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy and Tom Tenore like this.

---------
2019 Triumph Bobber Black

2019 Triumph Speed Triple RS
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:28 PM

I have the BC drags. You may want the BC slash cuts. Sounds like what your looking for. As for the sound of the stock exhaust. They have no sound. That’s the motor your hearing. To me no motorcycle should have a louder motor than exhaust. Loud pipes save lives. I love this bike, but to me it had a few faults. Luckily it’s a pretty easy bike to work on.
Great Black North likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 AM

Garage
I have tried several of the more popular combinations. This is how I would rank the ones I have tried in order of preference:

Stock, stock with x-pipe (same sound quality, but a little louder).

BC drag pipes, both with cat (louder than stock, But not as "throaty), and with x-pipe (very loud, obnoxiously so, IMO, because of the sound quality, loud with tinny harmonic undertones. This set up will get you into trouble volume wise, guaranteed). I will say however, that this set up is my favorite aesthetically.

Vance & Hines US spec, again with stock cat (slightly louder at idle than stock, with a nice throaty growl under load, best sound for sound sensitive areas IMO), and with the x-pipe (noticeably louder than stock, nice and thumpy at Idle, and under load it gives a pretty good throaty bark, if your looking for not so subtle attention getter, this is likely your best choice, But, it will likely also get you into trouble in sound measured areas under load, and, is also the most expensive option).

My favorite though is the Trident's. I will say that they sound pretty good even with the cat in place and baffles in (louder than both stock (catted or x-pipe) and the Vance & Hines with the cat in place), or baffles out (might be ok in sound measured areas as long as you use careful moderation, but I doubt it). Definitely throaty with a fair amount of crackle under load and deceleration.
Or, the piece de resistance,, x-pipe in place, louder still, this set up will definitely get you hated by your neighbors on a Sunday morning, and will, without a doubt, attract the wrong kind of Official attention should you miss them being in your immediate vicinity (like with in a block or so) But,, the sound... About the closest analogue I can think of is, a well tuned, race modified V8, when its under load.. This set up sounds Incredible, whether its at idle, or WOT all the way from idle to the rev limiter!. I do go back and forth between baffled and baffle-less quite often. Both sound fantastic. But the wide open version is like pure music to my ears , I will how ever mention, that like Brandon Miller, and I'm sure several others, I am a firm believer in the "loud pipes" theory, but in this wide open form, at anything over slight throttle input, you will get a ticket,, guaranteed..
Having said that, I'd rather piss off the occasional sensitive snow flake, and be careful when grabbing a hand full of throttle to avoid a ticket, than be dead...

My 2 cents.
Johnny and haydnd like this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!

Last edited by Great Black North; 08-17-2019 at 02:52 AM. Reason: no matter how many times I proof read,,, :D
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Black North View Post

Vance & Hines US spec, again with stock cat (slightly louder at idle than stock, with a nice throaty growl under load, best sound for sound sensitive areas IMO), and with the x-pipe (noticeably louder than stock, nice and thumpy at Idle, and under load it gives a pretty good throaty bark, if your looking for not so subtle attention getter, this is likely your best choice, But, it will likely also get you into trouble in sound measured areas under load, and, is also the most expensive option).
As an ex Triumph staff bike, I bought mine with a host of goodies already fitted, including the US spec V&H. After fitting the X-pipe, the sound is exactly what I was after, quite 'authentic' and as described by our good friend GBN here.
Regarding the legalities, I don't think they're anywhere near as loud as a Victory or a Harley with a stage 1, and there must be a swarm of those buzzing around in the States.
Great Black North likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page