Rider Safety Tips - Share Your Knowledge - Triumph Bobber Forum
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Exclamation Rider Safety Tips - Share Your Knowledge

Hi Folks,

I think we all are aware of how dangerous riding a motorcycle can be and some recent threads have prompted me to start this thread.

I've been riding almost 40 years and in my youth had more than my fair share of spills, multiple car hits, oil, gravel, ice, you name it and I've dropped my bike on it. Lost both of my older brothers and countless friends and have screws/pins in my bones and many scars to go with them. And yet still I ride.

So lifting this thread up a little, I wanted to write and ask member to share their lessons. Let's pass on our knowledge and be proactive in helping each other out, who knows this thread and the lessons we learn may just save a life.

Cheerio and ride safe,

Roy
Freddy likes this.

Last edited by Roy; 07-30-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Traffic Lights

I will start this off with a recent lessons and modification to my own riding.

I have now seen many drivers run red lights, one could have easily killed me a few weeks back. So even if I have a green light and the right of way, I ALWAYS slow down, look both ways and don't 'assume' everyone has stopped. This may annoy other drivers but I don't mind.

Think about this the next time you go whizzing through a green light and just give a thought to slowing down and keeping your eyes open.

Cheerio & safe riding,

Roy

Last edited by Roy; 07-30-2019 at 12:43 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:01 PM

Garage
READ THIS.................

It's cheesy, daft and downright boring to work through but if you have ever tried keeping up with one you will realise, it really works.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM

Garage
Ride like you are invisible at all times, Stay out of the blind spots, or passing until you can get by completely and as fast as is safe/possible. especially trucks.
Forjox, BOBBYP, chezqui and 5 others like this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post
READ THIS.................

It's cheesy, daft and downright boring to work through but if you have ever tried keeping up with one you will realise, it really works.
I read this book at the start of each season. I have the earlier version because apparently there is some slightly dodgy info in the later version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 19.39.45.png
Views:	29
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	36213  
Roy and Freddy like this.

Last edited by chezqui; 07-30-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

1) Advanced rider training

2) Advanced rider training !!
Iíve done countless courses and each time learned and applied a skill. The hardest part is getting rid of bad habits we donít even know we have, so itís vital an expert watches and corrects any serious mistakes.
It sounds silly, but many riders donít know how to properly modulate their brakes or control object fixation mid corner while evading an obstacle (while braking and leaned over!) - and if youíve never practiced these kind of maneuvers it wonít be possible to apply any technique in a time of need.

3) Organized Track Days are GREAT for learning in a safe environment or letting off steam if you are an ďexperiencedĒ rider.
Off-road schools will also teach a lot about grip and stability, plus they are soooo much fun.

4) Read the road, adjust your speed for the conditions and always keep your eyes up and in the distance.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:19 PM

I learned there’s nowhere I need to be so quick that I can’t slow down. I enjoy a more leisurely pace when I’m surrounded by traffic. If I’m alone then the pace quickens.
gfspencer, Roy, GPz and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
Think ahead, anticipate the next impossible eventualities, think them through again and donít rush anything. Stay seen and dominate your position !

a juicy red apple is nice... but not every apple is red
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I will start this off with a recent lessons and modification to my own riding.

I have now seen many drivers run red lights, one could have easily killed me a few weeks back. So even if I have a green light and the right of way, I ALWAYS slow down, look both ways and don't 'assume' everyone has stopped. This may annoy other drivers but I don't mind.

Think about this the next time you go whizzing through a green light and just give a thought to slowing down and keeping your eyes open.

Cheerio & safe riding,

Roy
My wife's car was totaled when a pizza delivery boy ran a red light. I was driving.
Freddy likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:15 PM

Garage
Don't push it, particularly if you're on a multi-day adventure. I like to stop around mid-late afternoon, well before I'm really tired and in keeping with my desire to avoid dusk or night riding. Take some regular breaks even if only for 10 minutes or so, hydrate and you'll feel new energy. Usually between 60-80 miles and I'll get off and stretch. Better that than to be bothered by some body part annoying you and focusing on that rather than the road. Last week on a ride a was only about 25 miles from the hotel but, there was a rest stop that I just couldn't pass up (or my knees couldn't . So, I didn't. So what if I got there a little later. Felt all the better for it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page