Ever caught someone sitting on your bike? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ever caught someone sitting on your bike?

... well today I can officially say that I have!

I was sat having a coffee outside a local restaurant with the bike parked behind me and approx 40 metres away, when all of a sudden two ladies who had obviously noted my lid on the table said, ďexcuse me, is that your bike over there, if so someone is sat on itĒ. I looked around just in time to see a guy climbing off of it and slowly walking away with 3 other people. I jumped up, said thanks to the ladies and wondered out. They were just opening the doors to their car so I asked why the **** did you sit on my bike? It appeared to be father and son and grand parents. The father put his hands up and said Iím sorry, I told him to. Know Iím certainly no meat head fighter type but I have to say that I was absolutely livid... which my more than colourful words no doubt let on.

Truth is I can hardly remember what I said but when the lad who had sat on it said with a smile on his face, I thought it was for show... I really did to my own surprise lose my cool.

I canít believe someone could be so stupid... would they jump into a car if the door was left open of into a convertible if the roof was down... I very much doubt it.

Anyone else encountered such lunacy?
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:55 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Mike,

I know what you mean mate, it's a bloody liberty and a violation too..

It only happened to me once nearly 20 years ago on my V-Max. It was a brand new bike and I was in my home town of Shrewsbury (England). I was back in my old (rough) neighborhood and having to stop for the night for work. I looked out of the window and spotted a few kids hanging around my bike. One was sat on it playing with all the switches.....

I shot out and gave them a piece of my mind.

I didn't take my motorcycle back to work for an overnight again and instead used my mountain bike.

Cheerio,

Roy
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 PM

I frequent a particularly picturesque area with marvelous vistas, it's about 80 miles north of Times Square. On a clear day one can see Manhattan between the mountain peaks. Because it's so magnificent it attracts a lot of tourists, many are from the Orient.
One day a couple placed their darling little girl on my Honda 1100F. I spotted this from a few meters and walked over to the scene. The parents were taking pictures of the girl who was no more than four and pawing the tank and rubbing her little feet on the side of my bike. The parents who didn't speak any language I know must have realized that I wasn't pleased, gave me a smile removed the future queen and left in a hurry. I have a soft spot for little girls so I wasn't really angry. But the nerve!

Chico
Mike J Commo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:44 PM

Back in January, I rode my brand new Bobber Black to Knott’s Berry Farm amusement park (my kids followed in my Mini Cooper). We got there early and got great parking spots - I parked my bike next to my car. We headed to the park entrance but I decided to head back to leave my jacket in the car rather than wearing it all day. As I got closer, I noticed another bike in my parking spot and a [email protected] on my bike moving it. I confronted the jerk who thought nothing of moving my bike (despite the steering lock) to make room for his bike. Blamed me for not leaving space for other bikes. I should have used my disc lock. In any case, I had heated words with him and he moved off. Unfortunately the incident ruined my entire day as I was constantly worried the d!ck would do something to my bike. I carried on for the sake of my kids. Luckily everything was fine when I got back.

I also witnessed an incident at a Dodgers game where someone (who obviously wasn’t the owner) got on a parked bike to take selfies.

I no longer take my bike to large venues. Too many bozos out there.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:33 PM

Garage
Never had it happen but, plenty of those ďIíd like to just sit on that bikeĒ looks.

Bad enough some people are so arrogant they can ďviolateĒ someone elseís property. Imagine they wouldnít have been so thoughtless if the bike tipped over. 🤔😖
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

I may be in the minority here so please donít flame me, but I actually donít mind people sitting on my bike as long as there is no mal-intent or vandalism intended.

I have sat in cafes and watched people sit on my bike. 9 times out of 10 theyíre on and off quickly and no harm comes from pushing a big, waterproof button or pulling in the clutch lever. Of course I donít mean that I want my bike to be the local display and test mule!

Bikes (especially my ex spaceship GL1800 and stunning Bobber) are a curiosity and attract attention by their very nature.
My only concern has always been that a kid wonít burn off his entire palm if touching the downpipe or exhaust while admiring the bike - as many parents are unaware of the extreme heat.
But the enjoyment a kid (or even adult) can get from safely sitting on a bike many very well trigger the urge to one day become a lifelong biker. And the smile (to me) is always priceless - even if they donít know Iím watching.
If youíre not a biker, you simply donít understand what a bond an owner has with their bike. And itís clear that anyone who sits on someone elseís bike without permission isnít a biker themself.

Rude, uneducated people with NO respect will always be out there and no amount of shouting, verbal or physical threats will increase their awareness or general IQ.

Yes itís my property and yes I worked hard to achieve it. But life it too short to get angry over a hunk of metal, especially when the person admiring it either isnít fortunate enough to be able to afford one or secretly wants to be a biker but never took the leap.

So for the majority of unwary (but mostly good) people who do sit on my bike; if it can create some happy memories and maybe even a future biker, Iím all for it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I may be in the minority here so please donít flame me, but I actually donít mind people sitting on my bike as long as there is no mal-intent or vandalism intended.

I have sat in cafes and watched people sit on my bike. 9 times out of 10 theyíre on and off quickly and no harm comes from pushing a big, waterproof button or pulling in the clutch lever. Of course I donít mean that I want my bike to be the local display and test mule!

Bikes (especially my ex spaceship GL1800 and stunning Bobber) are a curiosity and attract attention by their very nature.
My only concern has always been that a kid wonít burn off his entire palm if touching the downpipe or exhaust while admiring the bike - as many parents are unaware of the extreme heat.
But the enjoyment a kid (or even adult) can get from safely sitting on a bike many very well trigger the urge to one day become a lifelong biker. And the smile (to me) is always priceless - even if they donít know Iím watching.
If youíre not a biker, you simply donít understand what a bond an owner has with their bike. And itís clear that anyone who sits on someone elseís bike without permission isnít a biker themself.

Rude, uneducated people with NO respect will always be out there and no amount of shouting, verbal or physical threats will increase their awareness or general IQ.

Yes itís my property and yes I worked hard to achieve it. But life it too short to get angry over a hunk of metal, especially when the person admiring it either isnít fortunate enough to be able to afford one or secretly wants to be a biker but never took the leap.

So for the majority of unwary (but mostly good) people who do sit on my bike; if it can create some happy memories and maybe even a future biker, Iím all for it.
For the record I did initially politely ask if one of them had sat on my bike, and followed that up with a please donít sit on peoples bikes. The thing that ticked me off was the 17-18 year old son telling me that he just thought it was for show and smirking at me, seemingly to try and wind me up. The issue in this case, was an entitled kid whoís father should have known better, as should the kid at that age.

I agree, itís only metal at the end of the day but itís metal that if damaged, I have to pay for. There needs to be boundaries and society seems to be losing their grasp on them. I wouldnít dream of sitting on someoneís elseís bike, regardless of how much I like it... and I still managed to become a biker
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

I agree - the smirk would pi** me off too in that situation! But as I said, nothing you do will ever change a wa*kers sense of entitlement or lack of education he passed on to his son - no matter how big or strong you are.

The chances of damage are low (to zero) statistically speaking and if someone wanted to purposely damage your bike, it probably wouldnít be in broad daylight in a busy area.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I agree - the smirk would pi** me off too in that situation! But as I said, nothing you do will ever change a wa*kers sense of entitlement or lack of education he passed on to his son - no matter how big or strong you are.

The chances of damage are low (to zero) statistically speaking and if someone wanted to purposely damage your bike, it probably wouldnít be in broad daylight in a busy area.
I hear you... but sadly I picked up a nasty scratch on my tank from a friends little girl climbing on the bike... I couldnít bring myself to say anything at the time but wish I had. It cost a decent wedge to sort the issue regrettably.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:01 AM

I don't mind anyone sitting on any bike I've owned, as long as they ask for permission beforehand, and show respect for the owner and the machine.
I'm not known to have high tolerance levels!
eisen77, ysoslo and Bobber7 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page