Painting parts - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Painting parts

Iím going to apologize up front if the following is an ignorant question, but I just bought a forward control kit for my BB from fatty0100 that came off of a Speedmaster. I would like to paint the rods, etc, black to match my BB. Anything I need to know??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi @PJStock ,

Never be afraid to ask any question mate, no one can know everything and we are all here to help. I'm alway asking daft questions...

This may or may not be of help.

I had my footboards/controls powder coated. The only issue I had is when reassembling the main spindle/pivot point locked up when I tightened them. This was due to the thicker powder coating. It was an easy fix as I just added a washer on both sides and now both the brake and gear change pivots are free and easy.

Hope that helps,

Cheerio and good luck,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 4.42.49 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	739.1 KB
ID:	35567  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Roy. I appreciate the encouragement. I was a HD rider for years, and I have to say the HD forums were not nearly as friendly as the Triumph forums. AND when it was discovered I am a female wrenching on my own bike, it was even more brutal. Totally unnecessary!

My other question is I planned on using my BB pegs, shifter and brake pedal. Iím assuming thatís not a problem??

Trace and Roy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 PM

Definitely go with powder coating over painting them. Itís more durable than paint. The stock BB pedals look like a satin black finish.
PJStock likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 AM
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Thanks, Roy. I appreciate the encouragement. I was a HD rider for years, and I have to say the HD forums were not nearly as friendly as the Triumph forums. AND when it was discovered I am a female wrenching on my own bike, it was even more brutal. Totally unnecessary!

My other question is I planned on using my BB pegs, shifter and brake pedal. I’m assuming that’s not a problem??

Hi @PJStock ,

Your are most welcome, happy to help. I'm afraid I can't help with your question as I have no experience with the pegs your referring to. However I can say that you will find NO discrimination on this forum, a nicer bunch of riders would be hard to imagine. After all, I'm a rather dodgy eccentric Englishman in the US and everyone far and wide tolerates me..

If I may indulge your patience a little further, I would like to relate the first lady biker I came into contact with. As a teenage (17) we were riding small bikes on learner plates (in the UK) and there was an older lady (probably around 40's which is not old now I'm in my 50's) in our town. She was always clad head to foot in her black and white leathers and rode a BMW combination, both bike and sidecar were also black and white. The whole outfit with her riding was very cool indeed. You can imagine how impressed we all were when she told us the reason she was riding a combination was due to loosing a leg in an earlier motorcycle accident.

All us youngsters thought she was the coolest 'real' biker we had ever met.

Cheerio,

Roy
Trace and PJStock like this.

Last edited by Roy; 07-13-2019 at 12:10 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:45 AM

Have you considered powder coating them yourself? If you think you may have a lot of small items that you want to powder coat, the cost of the materials/tools is pretty cheap. Not hard to do at all and there are a lot of how-to videos.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:58 AM

Not sure where your located, but harbor freight, yes harbor freight has a great powder coating gun. I’ve used it a ton on my bike. It’s easy to use and works great. Typical of all harbor freight tools you might get a bad tool, but you can just return it. That’s what I did. First one I bought had a bad ground on it. Returned it for a new one and have had no issues since.
PJStock likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Iím going to apologize up front if the following is an ignorant question, but I just bought a forward control kit for my BB from fatty0100 that came off of a Speedmaster. I would like to paint the rods, etc, black to match my BB. Anything I need to know??

Just throwing this out there more for conversation than anything. Yes, powder coating is a good way to go, either professional or yourself as others have stated. If you can afford it, go for it.

Alternately, you can get excellent results from a rattlecan that will be nearly as durable. I'm the king of ratlecan painting, and have done so on my bike. The key is prep work.

Start with a fine grit sandpaper to "scuff" the metal. This will give the surface a "tooth" that will enhance adhesion.

Put on some good latex or nitril gloves and clean all of the parts with Acetone and a clean/fresh rag. Place parts in a clean, dry place.

Use a quality metal primer (in a can). Give a series of light coats onto the metal and allow to dry.

Use a quality paint. Give several light coats onto the metal for an even coat - allow about 20 minutes between coats. Final coat should dry for 48 hours before handling any serious way.

Total cost is under $30.
Trace and PJStock like this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Given the proximity to the engine case, I’d look at VHT paint if painting.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrb View Post
Just throwing this out there more for conversation than anything. Yes, powder coating is a good way to go, either professional or yourself as others have stated. If you can afford it, go for it.

Alternately, you can get excellent results from a rattlecan that will be nearly as durable. I'm the king of ratlecan painting, and have done so on my bike. The key is prep work.

Start with a fine grit sandpaper to "scuff" the metal. This will give the surface a "tooth" that will enhance adhesion.

Put on some good latex or nitril gloves and clean all of the parts with Acetone and a clean/fresh rag. Place parts in a clean, dry place.

Use a quality metal primer (in a can). Give a series of light coats onto the metal and allow to dry.

Use a quality paint. Give several light coats onto the metal for an even coat - allow about 20 minutes between coats. Final coat should dry for 48 hours before handling any serious way.

Total cost is under $30.

This is what I was looking for. The cost is not the problem. Itís the convenience. Iím impatient and really donít like to wait for things to get done. And Iíd like to give it a go myself out of pure principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page