Triumph Bobber Forum banner

What Compliments Have You Had..?

14K views 60 replies 26 participants last post by  jerrman 
#1 ·
Hi Gents,

Overall Triumph Bobbers and Speedmasters are somewhat rare out on the road and I think we have all been the grateful recipients of thoughtful compliments from other motorcyclists and the general public. My wife has often commented that if I'm out for a ride I always have to add time to my day to deal with all the questions..:laugh:

Yesterday I received a really nice compliment. A gentlemen crossed the car park to speak to me, quite clearly he had some knowledge of current Triumph models but said he was a little confused and "unfamiliar with this model of Triumph" and could I tell him more. As has been mentioned many times on the forum my 'Bobber' has morphed somewhat into a hybrid, a Speedbobber if you will, I'm totally fine with that as I have endeavored to create my own interpretation of a Triumph, so I was quite chuffed with his comments.

As I explained all that has been done, he went on to say that he loved the bike and it was near his dream bike, so I was pretty pleased.

So, can you share any of your own favorite compliments?

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My coolest compliment came from a bar in Wisconsin last summer. My buddy and I pulled up for lunch and parked on a higher part of the slanted parking lot. When we walked in there were about 10 older patrons looking out the window at our bikes. They were all trying to figure out how old and what Make mine was. When I told them it was a brand new Triumph they were amazed and couldn't stop raving about how cool it looked and how awesome it was that a bike that looked so old has cruise control, traction control and anti-lock brakes. I don't ride it for the compliments though. I just love putting the effortless miles behind me.

#4 ·
One situation I have been constantly (but pleasantly) surprised about being and English Triumph rider here in the US, is just how many older chaps have come up to me and shared there experience with British bikes back in the 60's or 70's. I really had no idea British bikes were so popular back in the day, so it has been nice to learn this.

Cheerio,

Roy

#16 ·
I've gotten lots of thumbs up from riders and non-riders alike. Probably the most memorable came one day I went to a local Harley dealership on my Bobber to procure some gaskets for a 3-hole change on my Harley. Soon as I pulled up and started taking my gear off, a small group of 1% MC members beat feat over to my bike.

I expected some **** for not riding a Harley, and touching sacred ground with another brand, but instead they struck up a conversation on how cool the bike looked, and asked what it was. When I told them it was a new Triumph, they were super cool with the brand and a couple of old dudes were telling me how they loved their older Triumphs "back in the day". Overall, they were respectful and never mentioned once that I should be riding a Harley.

This was not the experience I had once when riding a Yamaha VStar to a HD shop many years ago, where one guy threatened to kick the bike over in the lot.

#18 ·
I have to echo the many positive comments sentiment! Almost everywhere I go, and get off, someone comments and usually ask many questions. Same thing sitting in traffic, many thumbs up and "nice bike" from the surrounding vehicles.

But three really stand out as my favorites:

First one was shortly after I got it. I was riding around a neighborhood that was being rebuilt, and was stopped in front of a house belonging to someone I knew. A pickup truck pulled up beside me. The driver (a contractor working on a house a block away from where I stopped), in a heavy french accent asked, how much would I sell it to him on the spot for. I politely declined explaining my buying story and how much I loved it. Then after another offer, and a couple of compliments, I said goodbye and rode away, heading to our local Harley Shop (only bike shop in town) with getting an LED headlight in mind. When I got there, I went in made my inquiry, and a few minutes later, walked out again, to find the same fella in the parking lot taking pictures. After my initial panic, thinking he was casing it to steal, He excitedly told me he was in love with the Bike (in mixed french and english :laugh:) and was going to buy one asap. And that he wanted some reference pictures to show his local triumph dealer so he got exactly what he wanted. So I suspect there is a twin to mine somewhere in Quebec, or maybe New Brunswick.. :grin2:

The second one was a fella in a really nice Dodge Challenger, chasing me down in heavy traffic, to yell across two lanes an intersection "Nice F***in' Bike Man!". He then turned off, made a u-turn, and headed back the other direction..

But I think the funniest one yet, was just recently. I was sitting in traffic, again at a stop light, sort of spacing out watching the traffic and pedestrian's. When I noticed a fella walking up the side walk, do a double take, almost tripping over his own feet as he did it, with his mouth hanging open starring. When he noticed me noticing him, he gave me a 2 thumbs up, and mouthed "F***ing "A" Bubba!"with a huge grin on his face. It definitely got me laughing!!

I think I have told these elsewhere on this forum, so repeat. :grin2: Thinking about them makes me smile every time.

#20 ·
2 from me...

1. Bike outside just after I got it, and a "spotty youth" walks past as I'm cleaning it and says "Wow, that's a sick classic bike, I love it. How old is it? To which I responded "Four hours".

2. At a local bike meet, a tall distinguished looking very elderly gentleman saw the Speedy and talked about his days riding Triumphs, commenting how beautiful the bike looked, and was it a 500?...Nearly had to pick him off the ground when I said 1200.

#22 ·
A guy I called at last week closed his shop to come out to look over the Bobber. He was amazed that it was a modern machine.

On the other hand a weekend power ranger ragging it down a rural lane was seriously miffed that I'd kept up with him and at the next set of lights refused to acknowledge the presence of a fellow biker sat next to him. You could feel the outrage pouring from him. Made me chuckle.

#23 · (Edited)
I went to a High end custom shop that does Turbos for Harleys and their bikes are not just in Easy Rider they are on the cover. His clientele have 40K to even $80K HD's. I have some really nice Harleys but nothing that is going to impress that group at his bike nite, so I took the Bobber.

I pulled up right upfront and before I could even get the kick stand down I was surrounded. At least 7 bikers yelled out at once," Triumphs are the best" "Nice Ride","my Grandfather had one", "my Uncle had one ", "that's what I started on " "is that retro modded", " I had one and if it looked like that, I still would"!

Attachments

#24 ·
My tank of gas almost cost me $50...

So last night I headed out for an evening ride and to fill the gas tank up.

I gave the attendant a $50 bill and said I would be back for the change.

As I was pumping a gent had pulled in driving a really flash Maserati and had seen me on the road, so wanted to come over and check it out. He LOVED my Bobber and as he did not know what it was asked if it was a one of custom build of a vintage bike.

Well half an hour soon went by as he wanted to know every detail. Too many compliments to list but it almost cost me $50 for the pleasure. I jumped on my ride, started her up and as I was pulling away the gas station attendant came running out of the store waving my change at me....:surprise:

Is this what it's like to be a rock star...:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

#25 ·
Went to a motorcycle event yesterday with group of friends, after we parked our bikes, and walked towards the entrance , 7 cops stopped me, I got scared coz i'm a ccw holder, and at the back of my mind, I was thinking if they saw my gun under my shirt.... they asked me "what kind of bike is that, its freaking nice" …. whew, that was scary and funny at the same time.

#27 ·
I live in a rural area of Thailand. There are quite a few Triumph owners in the big cities bit very few in my area. It’s hard for me to go anywhere without the bike drawing attention. A few occasions stick in my memory.

I stopped to get fuel at a big filling station and then went into the gents. When I came out there was around a dozen Thais queuing up to my BB who asked if it was OK to have there photo taken by bike.
Also at filling stations it’s not unusual for the staff to be arguing over who gets to fill it up.

On one occasion I stopped at a bar for lunch. It was predominantly an ex-pats bar. I overheard various conversations between the customers. The gist of it was that it must have cost me a fortune to get that imported and that it was a one of a kind for Thailand. Many were unaware that there were Triumph dealerships here and that it was a new bike.

There are regular Police roadblocks here to check vehicles. The Police here love it, never a ticket, and often want a photo by it. They also like the sound of the US Spec V&H Pipes with X Pipe despite currently cracking down on loud exhausts.

I regularly go to a new modern shopping center that’s close to where I live. The attendant in the car park always directs me to Car VIP parking so I get a car space. Probably just for the 20 baht tip I give him but it avoids the crush on the scooter park.

Maybe it’s my ego and a little wrong but I do get a buzz out of having something a bit special in amongst the sea of scooters here.

It’s interesting the comments regarding HD owners and MC riders liking the Triumph classics. I have family in the States and many of them own Harley’s. They all hate anything Japanese but tell them you have a Triumph , never an issue.

#28 ·
Well apart from the usual disparaging comments of 'It's tiny! and ohhh a baby 1200!' from club members all riding american tractors, i suppose it's the 'Sounds Great!' and the 'What the he ll is that?' from the 600 sports bike I just ripped away from the lights at one of the traffic light grand prix starts on the way into work in the morning.

#29 ·
Went to a car and bike show yesterday. Couple guys on HD parked their bikes next to mine. One of them asked me what year my bike was. He assumed it was from the 60s. He was a bit shocked when I told him it was a 17’. To me that is the best compliment I could ever get. The vintage look of the Bobber is exactly why I bought it. Then a few other guys came up and started taking pics of it. Kind of nice since I’ve done quit a bit of work to the bike and all the work I did myself.

#33 ·
Last year I went to a hot rod show. There weren't but a few bikes there. Anyway, the cars/bikes were parked around a huge court yard. There was a guy at the entrance whose job it was to keep the riff raff out. I rolled up on my Bobber and he waved me in. :grin2:

#30 · (Edited)
So I was out after dark last night (checking out out my adjusted spot lights) and I parked up in town to get a drink. A couple came up to enquire about my Triumph and were very complimentary.

My very slow project of blacking out my bike must be working because the chap did comment on how he "loved how blacked out the bike is and how it makes the white-walls really stand out".

Although the funniest thing he said (due to ignorance and no unkindness) was....."is this a 'replica' Triumph"....?

Needless to say I replied "no sir, it's not a 'replica' but a real Triumph"

He quickly apologized and meant no harm but funny nonetheless.

Cheerio,

Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.