Oil Leak - Triumph Bobber Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Oil Leak

Hi Everyone,

Noticing one or two very small drops of oil every few weeks, about 1000 miles on it, is this normal or something that needs to be addressed?

Thank you,
Jim
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Personally I would not worry about one or two small drops over a few weeks. Consider it part of the authenticity. Any idea where it's coming from?

What I might do is to go round the bolts on the clutch cover and alternator cover and just make sure they're tight. I think the torque is 10 NM, which is not a lot, but if one is loose it might give a weep.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I would get it checked and make sure it is noted in your bikes history at the dealer.
That way if any larger problems arise, there is proof that an issue was pre-existing.

It seems quite a common problem (easily resolved) was the ¨gally plug¨. I still dont have a clue where or what that is, though.

There are quite a few oil leak threads within the forum. Here is one of them which points to the gally plug as the culprit:
https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...-oil-leak.html

A search will bring up more.

I hope you find the cause and if you do, please post back here to assist others who have the same kind of leak.
GPz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:45 PM

Jim the bike shouldn't leak oil, it's definitely not normal. These are not the shoddy, slapped together bikes that came out of Meriden in the '70's. Some people have seen what they think is oil which turned out to be drips of oily goop from the chain. If you apply too much lube it gets flung off under the sprocket cover and when hot it will drip. However there have been some other reports such as this one where it is an inspection plug leaking. I would assume with that mileage its still under warranty so I would get the dealer to check.
eisen77, ysoslo and GPz like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Roy

Garage
That happened to mine within the first few weeks.

I took it back and they tightened some plug underneath and perfect ever since. I think one or two chaps have had this issue to take it back to get it sorted.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much all for the detailed information, really appreciate it.
Sounds like the "gally plug", no idea where it is but will do some research, oil drip is from the opposite side of the chain and toward the back, near the rear tire. I will also check for any lose clutch bolts and filter(read it in another forum thread) this week and if it's not something obvious it will be dealer time.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure it’s oil and not the breather hose pipe dripping some stuff out (as it should do sometimes)?

The charcoal filled EVAP system has a hose; a small black rubber tube that sits to the rear of the bike near the wheel.

Just asking in case it’s that.
GPz likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure looked like oil but now you got me thinking, I will double that. I didn't even know there's evap system....
Eisen77, thank you very much for this info.
eisen77 likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 PM

FYI: A galley plug (0il or cooling galley) is the same as a freeze plug on a car block casting. It is a hole in the block to clean out the casting sand etc. Then is plugged with either a press in plug (most autos) or the hole is threaded and plugged with a threaded plug.

Look at the block for leakage here.
Chico likes this.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Did a quick recheck on my way out, no drips yet(parked since Sunday), but do notice the grey connector underneath is a little oily, attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	34255  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page