Recommended apps for riding - Triumph Bobber Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Recommended apps for riding

Good afternoon (UK) to the Bobberhood

Any suggestions of useful apps for riding? I've tried the free version of Riser and it tracks your route really well and gives a good breakdown of the climb/fall and average speeds etc. The group function seems to work well but may be slightly limited unless you go premium, which at £53 ($67) is not the sort of thing I want to do without some other recommendations.

I also downloaded Wolfpack but find it's not quite as intuitive and the terminology (runs and wolfpack habitat) mildly grating.

What is everyone else using?

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

I use REVER.
But Mallorca is so small itís hardly necessary.
Mostly I use it to plan a ride and share with friends or anyone riding with me.
Forjox likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM

I don't use travel or navigation or group/meet up apps when I ride. Only app I use while I ride would be Amazon Music via my Sena 30k to listen my downloads.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Roy

Garage
Each to their own gents,

But what I love about riding is just being along with myself, my bike and the open road. No technology.

But as I said, more power to those who embrace technology, I'm just a Luddite at heart.

Cheerio,

Roy

P.s. You could always buy a map, what's nicer that parking at the side of account road, pulling out a map and trying to work out where the **** you are..
UnkleChopz likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Each to their own gents,

But what I love about riding is just being along with myself, my bike and the open road. No technology.

But as I said, more power to those who embrace technology, I'm just a Luddite at heart.

Cheerio,

Roy

P.s. You could always buy a map, what's nicer that parking at the side of account road, pulling out a map and trying to work out where the **** you are..
I’m sorta, kinda with Roy on this one. Usually no tech. Like listening to the engine, my thoughts and the surrounds. But, since my sense of direction is on the non-existent side, on long trips I do occasionally turn on the phone for Google Maps. Used to do the map trick on the side of the road but, it got old (so have I and in the rain, it sucks. So, in a pinch, my Shoei has Sena speakers. Not quite old school but, as minimal as i get.
Roy likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:26 PM

No tech on the Bobber itís not that type of bike, on the other hand my BMW has Garmin Zumo paired with Scala Q3. The Zumo is also paired with my phone for music and calls, lastly I have Spot Gen 3 just in case I fall down off the beaten path.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM

I disagree, bit of music on the highway and the Bobber feels at home. Plus the Sena speakers are on the quiet side anyhow. I can still hear the engine and the wind more than the music. In town however, I cut the music and turn on ambient mode so I hear more outside noises while riding with increased perception. Technology can be a boon to the rider as well. This is a bike with riding modes, traction control, and ABS, so while I get your sentiment, it actually IS that kind of bike.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
ysoslo and Psychopasta like this.

Last edited by erzengelsachiel; 06-05-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I tend to use my Bobber for sub-100 mile rides close to home, so I always know my route pretty well. For longer routes I have my Goldwing, Schuberth C4 helmet with bluetooth and, erm, Apple CarPlay. I love that kind of bike!

But I'd have no concerns about using a Garmin unit on my Bobber if going where no man has gone before.

- Pasta
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 AM

I’m new to LA so I tend to use Waze a lot for commuting and trips. I’m also more of a ‘get to the destination’ than ‘it’s the journey’ kind of guy. I also listen to classical music or muzak so I don’t have to focus on lyrics.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I use REVER.
But Mallorca is so small itís hardly necessary.
Mostly I use it to plan a ride and share with friends or anyone riding with me.
Thanks Eisen77, I'll take a look at that.

I'm on board with all of the comments; I don't have comms currently so don't listen to music or take calls, as I love the isolation of riding - I have 2 young kids and work in a 'talking' industry so it's one of the few places where I get some peace and quiet (relatively speaking). [email protected] also relatively new to riding so like to have as little distraction as possible so I keep my phone in my pocket.

I mainly use the Riser app for tracking rides and for sharing routes with my friends, geography has never been my strong point so describing or planning routes is something I'm not particularly good at, so these help where a map probably wouldn't.
eisen77 likes this.

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page