Auxiliary power socket - Triumph Bobber Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Auxiliary power socket

Has anyone fitted an auxiliary power socket to charge a mobile phone?
if so, what did you fit, where is the best place and how did you wire it in

thanks
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge-BOB View Post
Has anyone fitted an auxiliary power socket to charge a mobile phone?
if so, what did you fit, where is the best place and how did you wire it in

thanks
Triumph offer a din socket that mounts neatly under the fuel tank. I have it and use it frequently to charge my one along with other things.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Another vote for the factory auxiliary power socket. Your bike already has the mounting points and wiring for it.
Mike J Commo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM

I found a dual USB power socket with a SAE connector that plugs right into factory SAE charger connector behind the left side panel. They also make a single USB version with a voltage meter. Link is below to the dual version. It also has a power button. I mounted it on the left side of the handlebar. I originally had it mounted on the right but I preferred my phone mount on the right as it felt more natural when using the GPS.

Dual USB Power Socket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9269.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	33145  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 PM

For me, with clip-ons, there aint no real-estate on the bars to mount any accessories. I installed this gizmo in a discreet location here. 2 x USB ports and a 12V socket for trickle charging. It also has an LED voltmeter. I spliced in behind the fuse block and rated it at 7Amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auxilliary & USB.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	33147  
ysoslo likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Rocket 48 View Post
For me, with clip-ons, there aint no real-estate on the bars to mount any accessories. I installed this gizmo in a discreet location here. 2 x USB ports and a 12V socket for trickle charging. It also has an LED voltmeter. I spliced in behind the fuse block and rated it at 7Amps.

Very clean and cool position for that. Where do you you get them. Can you post an tutorial? Cya Tom

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:12 AM

The auxiliary/USB unit you can purchase off Ebay. or Amazon. There are many versions on-line and mine came with a flat plate, so recommend you choose one similar. 12volts auxilliary + USB

Without going into detailed specifics, there's no real rocket science for installing. I used one of the two engine case posts to mount the unit with a suitable spacer/riser and secured the plate with flat head Allen head screw. The black blanking caps simply unscrew in your fingers.

As for wiring, ............run the black wire to the frame screw. Shorten the lead to suit, it's too long. I made up a new terminal and black heat shrinked over the wire for neatness. For the hot side and the red wire with the fuse, run that around the underside of the air-box and come in from behind the fuse block. Pop off the fuse block and locate the two heavy gauge light brown wires which are the main power battery supply wires for your bike. We need to splice in here and my choice was to use a T-tap crimp connector like this T-Crimp connectors from your local auto electrical retailer. Makes the job easier without the necessity of compromising critical harness wiring by cutting.

That's about all there is to it.

Last edited by Retro Rocket 48; 05-16-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 AM

I omitted to mention, we only need to 'break' into one of those brown wires, take your pick as they both feed back to the main battery fuse.

The T-Connectors are colour coded for wire gauge. Yellow (the largest) is for 10-12AWG and that's what you'll need. They're only a bout a $ each, better economy to buy a utility box of mixed for 5-10 dollars if you can't source one locally. My local electronics store has 5 packs for $4.00 and having a terminal/lug crimping tool handy would be an advantage too
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I would prefer to use the factory unit
Where are the fixing points for this? and where does it connect
a photo would be great if its not too much trouble, thanks
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:02 PM

I found a duel USB power setup with a cylinder housing and a handlebar mount. I purchased an 8" USB cord that goes from my phone to the power unit. Very slick. I have apes on my Bobber, so plenty of adjustable mounting points. The phone is high where I can see it, so doubles as a GPS.

One wire on the frame, another wire to the battery. I ran the wires with all the other wires and then under the tank, and down to the battery box. My SAE connector acts as power supply for other things, such as heated gear - when not plugged into a battery tender.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page