Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Duel Function OEM EU Indicators

16K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Beardedbobber 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I see at long last Triumph have added an EU spec (flashing amber rather than US spec red) duel function rear indicators to their accessories catalogue, which should come in handy for those running the short rear fender. :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The previous owner fittes the US spec lights to my Bobber, so will run with those 'in ignorance' until I get my collar felt. I have the original tail and associated lights and plate holder if I need to revert to stock.

Will defnitely be checking the EU spec ones out though, thanks for the heads up.

#10 · (Edited)
I think many of us have been wishing for this, but from what I read on the AU triumph site I'm not quite as hopeful. All I could glean...
"MULTIFUNCTION LAMPS D40 PART NUMBER: A9830140 A set of classic bullet-style multi-function lamps which house both rear light and indicator functionality, featuring a turned aluminium bezel, gloss black body."

From the description how do you know it's EU spec? Just the pairing with EU short fronts? I assume D40 is mm diameter, so smaller than the D64 indicators and US multifunctions. So far, so good... but it doesn't mention brake as part of its multifunction, is quite a bit cheaper than the US multifunction and only take 18mins to install opposed to 25mins :|
I'm really, really hoping for a 40mm LED multifunction that is tail, turn and brake for AU$250, but right now I'm not really convinced.

Found a listing on UK eBay too, but no further info was included. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...-Rear-Lights-Short-D40-A9830140-/143158151887

#11 ·
I think many of us have been wishing for this, but from what I read on the AU triumph site I'm not quite as hopeful. All I could glean...
"MULTIFUNCTION LAMPS D40 PART NUMBER: A9830140 A set of classic bullet-style multi-function lamps which house both rear light and indicator functionality, featuring a turned aluminium bezel, gloss black body."

From the description how do you know it's EU spec? Just the pairing with EU short fronts? I assume D40 is mm diameter, so smaller than the D64 indicators and US multifunctions. So far, so good... but it doesn't mention brake as part of its multifunction, is quite a bit cheaper than the US multifunction and only take 18mins to install opposed to 25mins :|
I'm really, really hoping for a 40mm LED multifunction that is tail, turn and brake for AU$250, but right now I'm not really convinced.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...-Rear-Lights-Short-D40-A9830140-/143158151887
I'm pretty sure they're the same as the factory option for the Speed Twin (see photo). How do I know they're EU spec I don't for certain but it's an educated guess as Triumph have removed virtually all the non-EU spec Bobber parts from their UK configurator. They're no longer showing the Vance & Hines US Spec Exhaust, the short mudguard with the side mount for a plate, or the US spec Duel Function rear lights. They do still have the short US spec front indicators but I'm guessing they also comply with EU regulations.

Attachments

#22 ·
Great News

Spoke to a technician at my local Triumph dealer today and their new D40 indicators are (as we thought) EU spec Dual Function lights!!! :grin2:

However he pointed out a potential problem with my cunning plan for an D40 lit tail tidy using the stock mudguard, and that's the wiring harness. Triumph's short fender kit comes with a different harness that's designed to work with duel function lights. The stock harness is wired differently it has plugs for the indicators and the separate brake/tail light so without rewiring it WON'T work with DF lights. :crying:

Now you can buy the short fender's DF harness separately and it maybe long enough to run it through the stock/long fender to the rear lights? If it is happy days, if not then I'm going to have to make a new longer harness or find a third party option.

#23 ·
Ok that is interesting but for the brake light to split what is required ? I know a decent auto electrician so will ask him what he thinks he works on my electrical nightmare land rover defender so pretty sure he will solve this.

#24 ·
To run duel function brake light/indicators instead of the standard separate lights you need a different set of wires/connectors.

Motone do an adaptor for the the standard Bonnevilles with various wiring options but unlike the T120, the block connector where you plug in this new harness isn't just a few inches away under the back seat, on the Bobber the wiring runs all the way from the lights down the groove of the back fender to plug in somewhere behind the battery!

Of course Triumph get around this problem on their short fender by providing a new harness and anyone who fitted this kit who wants to swap their DF lights over from US to EU spec should have no issues at all.

The good news for us you can buy that harness for around £35, the bad news is it's probably going to be too short for what we want. But having said that it still might worth buying to see how it's wired and as long as the connectors are reusable it should be possible with new wire to make a harness that's long enough.

I would think if your guy sorts the wiring out on Land Rovers that should be a piece of cake! >:)

Attachments

#25 ·
I wonder if Triumph are planning for a stock tail wiring loom since they've added the lights to the configurator?
Or perhaps the addition to the website was in error since they haven't included any of the appropriate "related" items. Either way I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped to find out if they plug and play with the short harness. Good luck with finding a solution for your tail tidy.

#26 ·
Good luck with finding a solution for your tail tidy.
I'm sure I will and though I'm not totally convinced at the moment IF I can get Triumph's EU DF lights to work with British Legends tail tidy and a UK plate then getting an extended harness made up shouldn't be too difficult to sort. Failing that I'll just have to bite the built and go for short fender with side mounted plate.

But do let us know how you go on, and please post a video when fitted.

#27 ·
Great news that these are EU-spec, I'm sorely tempted but £150 is quite an ask (especially when I've got a new rear shock and fork springs on my shopping list). The only way I could see to do it would be buy the new ones and then sell the US-spec multifunction lights to one of my bobber-brothers across the pond.

#28 ·
Great news that these are EU-spec, I'm sorely tempted but £150 is quite an ask (especially when I've got a new rear shock and fork springs on my shopping list). The only way I could see to do it would be buy the new ones and then sell the US-spec multifunction lights to one of my bobber-brothers across the pond...any takers if I were to do that?

#31 ·
Fitted mine last week....love the new clean look..

Also, these are not dual function, they’re triple function....Brake, Tail, and indicator.../forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Love the look of your rear end, so neat and tidy (ooh error missus). Do you have the info I would need to do this modification (part no's, vendors, prices etc). What are the dimensions of your plate to fit this (just sorting out my private plate for a black one).
Cheers in advance
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.