First service - Triumph Bobber Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

First service

Hi guys, does the first service have to be completed by a triumph main dealer to keep the warranty active or can any workshop carry out the work ?
Iím based in the UK.
The reason I ask is that the dealer I bought the bike (new) from is 165 + miles away, my local triumph dealer wants £210 to do the service ! I think thatís a rip off.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I am trying to remember what my dealer said to me about that....I did have them do it based on their reasoning. Something about you being in the system (Triumph's) for having it done in case there were any issues before and after that shouldn't exist.

Plus I believe they go around and check various nuts and bolts to make sure they haven't loosened. As I recall, it's more than just an oil change and chain tightening.
Great Black North likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstar View Post
Hi guys, does the first service have to be completed by a triumph main dealer to keep the warranty active or can any workshop carry out the work ?
Iím based in the UK.
The reason I ask is that the dealer I bought the bike (new) from is 165 + miles away, my local triumph dealer wants £210 to do the service ! I think thatís a rip off.

Save your self a lot of money and do It your self . It does not affect your warranty . You will need the dealership to turn the spanner service icon on the dash off unless you or a friend can do It .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

I also recommend you buy a DealerTool.
Well worth the investment and handy to have whether you do the service yourself or not.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how your system works in the States with doing your own servicing, but in the UK Iím sure the warranty would be invalid if you carried out your own servicing, especially the first one.
Whatís frustrating is that although you buy a new triumph you have to take it back to the supplying dealer for the first service (for free labour charges), I can understand if it was a used bike.
DanFromVegas likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Plus I believe they go around and check various nuts and bolts to make sure they haven't loosened. As I recall, it's more than just an oil change and chain tightening.
My dealership said almost the same thing as muensterDeath's. According to them, its wasn't necessary to go to the dealer I bought it from, but, a Triumph authorized service center, as they do a detailed inspection during the first service, and that it was to do more with liability, rather than anything commerce related.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstar View Post
Not sure how your system works in the States with doing your own servicing, but in the UK Iím sure the warranty would be invalid if you carried out your own servicing, especially the first one.

Whatís frustrating is that although you buy a new triumph you have to take it back to the supplying dealer for the first service (for free labour charges), I can understand if it was a used bike.

US doesnít get a lot of things right but they got this right back in the 70s. Federal law says you never have to see a dealer. You can be asked to provide proof, like receipts to show the work had been done, even if it was you. They have to prove you caused the problem in order to deny warranty coverage. Itís not worth their trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Forjox and Bob's_yer_firkin like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
Hey guys,
I bought my bike Ďusedí with 48 miles on in it 3 weeks ago.
Now Iím at about 430 miles.
Being I donít have an owners manual, is the first service to be done @ 500 miles?
I should get to that shortly and wanted to start setting up a visit to a Triumph dealer.

tia.

Ď18 Bobber matt Black
Ď12 Kawasaki Z1000
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalaan View Post
Hey guys,
I bought my bike Ďusedí with 48 miles on in it 3 weeks ago.
Now Iím at about 430 miles.
Being I donít have an owners manual, is the first service to be done @ 500 miles?
I should get to that shortly and wanted to start setting up a visit to a Triumph dealer.

tia.
Yes 500 miles = first service.
Jalaan likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
Great.
Ty Sir.

Ď18 Bobber matt Black
Ď12 Kawasaki Z1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version