5Likes
  • 3 Post By Brigstocksbobber
  • 1 Post By Bobber-Bomb
  • 1 Post By Bob's_yer_firkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
MOT indicators

Hey to all, After a lot of work modding my indicators, I now have to have a back up plan for the MOT this September, this is due to my Ducati failed on the front indicators being too close together by 1cm each side.

2. Revised test standard
The inspection manual currently says that mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances of:

solo motorcycles over 50cc: 300mm at the front and 240mm at the rear
solo up to 50 cc: 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear
motorcycle combinations: 400mm at both front and rear
The guidance should say that they must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of:

solo motorcycles: 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear
motorcycle combinations: 400mm at both front and rear
Separation distances don’t have to be measured. They should only be rejected if obviously incorrect.

I will be taking my bike down to the MOT man for a pre MOT look over.
Bobber-Bomb, Greybeard and Roy like this.

Last edited by Brigstocksbobber; 04-09-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Highlight details
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Roy

Garage
Interesting..!

I recall back in the day pulling all the indicators off my bikes. As I recall the law stated then that 'if fitted' they had to work but there was no requirement to have them.

Check into that just in case it hasn't changed. That way you can just pull them off and replace after the MOT.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
Hey Bridgestock, thanks for posting this. It's certainly not good news as it means virtually every aftermarket indicator options will fail, and swapping your rage360 front and/or Wunderkind rear every year to pass your MOT would be a real pain!

And Roy as with most things with the British MOT it's age related, bikes built before 81 don't need indicators but bikes built after do.
Roy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Something like this: Rizoma Turn Signal 32MM Externsion / Spacer - FR300B | A & J Cycles could serve as a quick on-again-off-again fix.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Interesting..!

I recall back in the day pulling all the indicators off my bikes. As I recall the law stated then that 'if fitted' they had to work but there was no requirement to have them.

Check into that just in case it hasn't changed. That way you can just pull them off and replace after the MOT.

Cheerio,

Roy
I am pretty sure its still the case Roy. There is no requirement for them but if fitted they have to work.
Roy likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 AM

Garage
If the indicator switch is in place they have to work as well, another silly MOT check.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Wow! Whenever I see MOT in the title of a post I think how lucky I am to live in a place with no inspections. Cars get a smog check once a year. Bikes get no check. Just the federal one for manufacturers certification. Once you own it, do what you like to it. Texas had an annual check of lights and such by a car dealer who knew nothing of motorcycles. California can cite you if your silencer doesnít have the proper stamp. It could have the baffles removed but if it stamped, itís ok. If a cop knows the law (I heard that one does) they can cite you for equipment, but that never happens.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page