• 1 Post By davidrb
  • 2 Post By DanFromVegas
  • 1 Post By GPz
  • 2 Post By davidrb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
GPz

Cool Your Next GREAT Idea...

I'm just going to give it to you. A gift of sorts. But if you are the first one on this forum to do it, feel free to claim it as your own. Are you ready?...

The idea is this: A custom jockey shifter on the left side of your Bobber's tank but instead of a ridiculous foot clutch, you simply add a Quick Shifter so no clutch is necessary!

This let's you keep your right hand on the throttle and use your left hand to shift any time you want to feel "old-school cool" on your vintage-looking Bobber. BUT... you link the jockey shifter to the foot shift lever using a couple links of motorcycle chain so that you can still shift normally whenever you want. Perhaps a spring could be used to keep the jockey shifter from flopping around too much due to the soft, tension-only connection. Or... skip the chain and make it a hard linkage if you want to use the jockey shifter for downshifting too. Alternatively, if you make the whole thing light enough, perhaps entirely from aluminum, you will probably still be able to use the foot shift lever despite the inertia of the jockey shifter.

So there you go. Please post pictures as your design progresses and a video of the final shifter in action. If you have a Bobber Black, might I suggest that an 8-Ball shifter knob would be a nice touch.

-GPz
Forjox and Psychopasta like this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post
I'm just going to give it to you. A gift of sorts. But if you are the first one on this forum to do it, feel free to claim it as your own. Are you ready?...

The idea is this: A custom jockey shifter on the left side of your Bobber's tank but instead of a ridiculous foot clutch, you simply add a Quick Shifter so no clutch is necessary!

This let's you keep your right hand on the throttle and use your left hand to shift any time you want to feel "old-school cool" on your vintage-looking Bobber. BUT... you link the jockey shifter to the foot shift lever using a couple links of motorcycle chain so that you can still shift normally whenever you want. Perhaps a spring could be used to keep the jockey shifter from flopping around too much due to the soft, tension-only connection. Or... skip the chain and make it a hard linkage if you want to use the jockey shifter for downshifting too. Alternatively, if you make the whole thing light enough, perhaps entirely from aluminum, you will probably still be able to use the foot shift lever despite the inertia of the jockey shifter.

So there you go. Please post pictures as your design progresses and a video of the final shifter in action. If you have a Bobber Black, might I suggest that an 8-Ball shifter knob would be a nice touch.

-GPz

GPz... I like your novel idea. Just a slight correction, your describing a tank shifter. A jockey shift is a small shift lever that you reach down to shift with - looking like a jockey flogging a race horse.

BTW, a "suicide clutch" is basically a foot clutch vice a hand clutch. I do see the term "jockey shift" used interchangeably on the internet with a tank shifter, but thought it was an interesting tidbit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jockyshift.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	32217   Click image for larger version

Name:	jockyshift2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	32219  
DanFromVegas likes this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
GPz

Good to know. Thanks for the corrections.

Former sportbike-only guy here so you’ll have to ‘xcuse my ignernce.

-GPz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM

I was going to chime in as well but held back. There’s a lot of old school terms that modern people mess up. I’ve also heard “suicide shift”. Nope. Suicide clutch was when bikers would rig the foot clutch with a spring like a car. Front brakes were considered dangerous and ugly. So you’re on a hill in San Francisco with a stop sign. Your right foot is on the brake. Your left is on the clutch. You can’t stop so you don’t!

Also “drag bar” means something different in Frisco
Psychopasta and GPz like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
GPz

THANKS for the additional info. I'm always eager to learn and rarely get sensitive about being legitimately corrected by people who happen to be more experienced or better informed about a particular subject than I am.

It's like when some knucklehead yaps about the "clip" for their pistol -- nails on a chalkboard to anyone even moderately well informed. So I get it. Thanks again for the education and providing it respectfully.

-GPz
DanFromVegas likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post
THANKS for the additional info. I'm always eager to learn and rarely get sensitive about being legitimately corrected by people who happen to be more experienced or better informed about a particular subject than I am.

It's like when some knucklehead yaps about the "clip" for their pistol -- nails on a chalkboard to anyone even moderately well informed. So I get it. Thanks again for the education and providing it respectfully.

-GPz

GPz - not at all... it was something I learned talking to old bikers. and i like share. I'm totally not the kind of person that likes to come off as a "know it all". I get what you mean regarding calling magazine boxes "clips". My SKS uses clips, the rest of my weapons use magazines. Talking heads on the news are the worst offenders.
GPz and DanFromVegas like this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page