• 2 Post By Great Black North
  • 2 Post By trirocket3
  • 2 Post By Great Black North
  • 3 Post By davidrb
  • 4 Post By davidrb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Air Box Removal UK Kits?

Other than looking bloody gorgeous, are there any tangible benefits to removing air box? I have searched through a few threads and think I'm going to bite the bullet on this one, it looks too good I've got to do it. I was wondering if there is a UK kit that I can purchase that includes filters and some kind of cover. I am aware A&J do something, but as a UK resident shipping/Tax think it will be a non starter.
1960Bobber likes this.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Garage
Rumor has it that the open pod filters flow better than the stock air box arrangement. Basic Physics and fluid dynamics would suggest that it should increase and, depending on intake configuration, smooth air flow, so in theory it should hold true. But to date, I haven't seen any dynamometer results (trirocket3 you got anything??) supporting that claim.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:16 PM

The stock air filters do not flow much air, I modified them by removing the metal mesh that covers one side, it restricts the flow, but even with that removed it held my motor back on the dyno to low 90's hp,
whipped filters out got over 100hp.
I do not know if anyone has done a filters only before & after dyno it would be interesting, but I have to pay for dyno time so will not use it up for this, But in my opinion reasonable size pods, I have seen some that do look a little inadequate (ever get that feeling) could yield a touch more at top end, but may lose slightly at low rpm, due to the way Triumph have cleverly designed inlet tracts (also exhaust but that is a different subject) for low down torque.
Would it be noticeable, probably not, but the intake sound from the pods may sound faster to some.
So no harm done, if you like that look go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trirocket3 View Post
I do not know if anyone has done a filters only before & after dyno it would be interesting, but I have to pay for dyno time so will not use it up for this,
Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about very thing after writing the response to LLR71 this morning. I have to go for a dyno tune (April 23) and am going to be reinstalling my factory air boxes until then, maybe I will see if my Buddies at Echo Cycle will humor me, and I will do just that.
LordLoveRocket71 and GPz like this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Black North View Post
Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about very thing after writing the response to LLR71 this morning. I have to go for a dyno tune (April 23) and am going to be reinstalling my factory air boxes until then, maybe I will see if my Buddies at Echo Cycle will humor me, and I will do just that.
That could be really interesting, keep us posted if you could.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLoveRocket71 View Post
Other than looking bloody gorgeous, are there any tangible benefits to removing air box? I have searched through a few threads and think I'm going to bite the bullet on this one, it looks too good I've got to do it. I was wondering if there is a UK kit that I can purchase that includes filters and some kind of cover. I am aware A&J do something, but as a UK resident shipping/Tax think it will be a non starter.

I didn't buy any sort of kit. I pulled all of the air breather equipment off and mounted $30 set of air pods that had a 50mm diameter flange (built for a Honda) directly to the air intakes. No need for a pipe or kit. I paid like $5 for a crankcase breather and reused one of the tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	31807   Click image for larger version

Name:	left cover sm.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	31809  

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Roy

Garage
A really smart job David, well done.

Sometimes we need to pay lots to get the mod we want but I also like it when, with a little ingenuity we can work it out ourselves for a lot less.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
A really smart job David, well done.

Sometimes we need to pay lots to get the mod we want but I also like it when, with a little ingenuity we can work it out ourselves for a lot less.

Cheerio,

Roy

Thanks for the kind words Roy. I can always move up to K&N filters later, or some other option. I'm saving all my money for forward controls. Something I don't think I can do cheaply, regardless of my "bag of tricks". Least expensive option is the OEM Triumph kit which I have on order.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page