6Likes
  • 4 Post By ysoslo
  • 1 Post By ysoslo
  • 1 Post By jerrman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Places to go and hidden gems along the way

I know we're all in different parts of the World, but many of us cross paths or travel to another person's neck-of-the-woods from time to time. Please post up with the location of any places you consider a must-see in your area, or a section of road (point-to-point) that are a great ride, so those of us that travel can plan accordingly.

I'm in the Minneapolis, MN metro so there are a bunch of great roads in MN and Wisconsin that I'll be adding here for those that may be traveling in the upper Midwest. The site below also has an interactive map with tons of points-of-interest throughout the USA and Canada, so please take a look to see what you may have been riding near without realizing it.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/ Click on the word "Map" next to the state or province.

Each one matters.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To start this off being as inclusive as possible, I found this site that has great routes all over the USA. Just pick your area and it gives you route options, and there's even a section dedicated toward sharing routes and pictures along the way, for those of us more inspired by visual goals than a squiggle on a map.
https://www.motorcycleroads.org/home-page/

Now for Minnesota and Wisconsin:

Here's a good site for all of the Scenic Byways in Minnesota. I've rode quite a few of them last year and the ones I was on were really nice rides.
Minnesota Scenic Byways - MnDOT

Here's another good site with lots of routes mapped in Minnesota, Wisconsin and a few in the Dakotas. It also has user ratings for the routes, so you can pick well-rated routes to try.
https://www.bestbikingroads.com/moto...utes/minnesota

And for those that ride in Wisconsin, you may not have heard about the Rustic Roads award program, which is kind of neat. My riding buddy and I are planning on taking on this particular challenge this year.
https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/m...tic-roads.aspx
majstevetrevor likes this.

Each one matters.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Garage
Living in the Pacific NW, I’d highly recommended Rte. 101 along the Oregon coast (from about Cannon Beach south) down through Southern Oregon into Northern California. Beautiful scenic ride along the Pacific, many smaller towns in which to stop and grab a bite and relatively leisurely riding. I love it every time.

Also, riding into the Columbia Gorge on Rte 14 (the Washington State side) is terrific (the Oregon side, which is more picturesque, dis on I-84 which is too fast, too straight has way too many semis. But, you’ll see the best views from the Washington side, looking at Oregon). The Gorge is one of the most amazing places in the Northwest. You can stop at a number of small towns on the Washington side but, the gem is probably Hood River in Oregon which you can reach via a bridge and lots of signs as you get close. The further west you go, the less traffic and more desert feel it becomes. Go north to Walla Walla Washington the epicenter of some of the northwest wine country or south to Joseph, a beautiful little mountain town. Just about any direction you go, there’s great riding.

Having done a lot of riding down South, I’d also recommend the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherhola Skyway. These are some of the most scenic rides in the country. And you can almost smell the magnolias as you drive slowly through the small towns. It’s really a whole other world.
ysoslo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page