Speedo options? Integrated headlight? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Speedo options? Integrated headlight?

Just curious if anyone has come across or already installed any aftermarket speedo options. The stock is nicely functional, but is pretty darn big aesthetically for my tastes. I think that's why so many people want to put a bigger headlight on -- not necessarily because the original light is too small (which after all is often the case on custom bobbers), but rather because the speedo is so large in comparison. So, just wondering: (1) any smaller more analogue-looking if not analogue-functioning speedos available, or (2) anyone come across a speedo dial integrated into a headlight that is available?

The German garage Twinton produces some very cool custom Bobbers apparently, though their site does not have much info, just some gorgeous pics. Not clear to me if they sell any of their parts or just build their own bikes. (I have written asking about this, and will post a reply if it comes.) But check out this integrated headlight they have. Something like this would be perfect I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twinton bobber 1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	31331   Click image for larger version

Name:	twinton bobber 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	31333  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:15 PM

There are quite a few Chinese obd speedos available. I added one of these as I wanted to monitor my cars water temp. Its switchable between speed, rpm, voltage and water temp. The tricky part is connecting something like that to your obd port and making it look tidy.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:06 PM

I would like this one on my bike... Compatible?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speedo.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	31335  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Vendor

Tricky part is getting around the canbus setup on the new models, some shops have done it. It usually results in hiding the innards of the stock gauge elsewhere on the bike. With all of the ride modes, abs on/off etc, it’s doubful you will see Plug and play aftermarket gauges for the new triumphs sadly.
majstevetrevor likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 PM

You might want to explore Smith's

Smiths Gauges

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

You'll also need the handlebar switch that controls the Scrambler's speedo modes and other functionality.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

A few updates: I contacted Twinton about their integreated speedo but have not heard back. But I also discovered the German garage Hanse, which also have some interesting Triumph builds including a few Bobbers. I will attach pics here of their integrated headlight. Contacted them, however, and they say they do not sell them separately but build them for particular bikes as needed.

BUT, I have also just come across these pics from last year from board member iBobber, who has a nice integrated headlight (pics were posted on a handlebars thread). Not sure where this one is from, and iBobber seems to have been off the board for several months.

So, it can be done, though no doubt as Brian says above it would take some ingenuity.

First two pics are Hanse; the next two are iBobber's. I like both options, and may try to figure out how to get something like this done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hanse bobber speedo.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	31431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanse bobber speedo 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	31433   Click image for larger version

Name:	bobber integrated speedo.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	31435   Click image for larger version

Name:	bobber integrated speedo 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	31437  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by majstevetrevor View Post
A few updates: I contacted Twinton about their integreated speedo but have not heard back. But I also discovered the German garage Hanse, which also have some interesting Triumph builds including a few Bobbers. I will attach pics here of their integrated headlight. Contacted them, however, and they say they do not sell them separately but build them for particular bikes as needed.

BUT, I have also just come across these pics from last year from board member iBobber, who has a nice integrated headlight (pics were posted on a handlebars thread). Not sure where this one is from, and iBobber seems to have been off the board for several months.

So, it can be done, though no doubt as Brian says above it would take some ingenuity.

First two pics are Hanse; the next two are iBobber's. I like both options, and may try to figure out how to get something like this done.
Looks like they just cut a hole in a 7" headlight can and mounted the factory gauge in there. This should definitely be possible without having to worry about reworking a bunch of electrical, as long as there's enough room with the factory wiring to move the gauge down to the headlight. Definitely some work involved, but patience and a steady drill/grinder/half-round file and you should be able to do it.
Forjox likes this.

Each one matters.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the design seems simple enough. But I don’t have the tools or probably the skill to get it precisely enough. But may get someone better than me to give it a try...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:49 PM

Hmmm Interesting...I might buy just a 7" bowl , see If I can get the stock speedo to fit , maybe move the headlight up a little . This could be my next project , thanks for the inspiration guys .
majstevetrevor and ysoslo like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page