Fuel - Triumph Bobber Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bobber-Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Fuel

Hi all, my triumph bobber has been sitting since November will I need to worry about the fuel that’s in the tank? I left it on the file Guage showing knowing the bike might be out of action a few months. Bike starts fine, am I okay to go and put new fuel in?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:11 PM

What is a file Guage?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:14 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say put the new fuel in since you must have some room and it will dilute the stale fuel though I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say???

And please... if you are going to ask for technical advice put your location in your signature,. many answers vary by region, country etc.

Last edited by BOBBYP; 02-21-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 AM

Anyone who stores an engine for long periods of time should use a fuel stabilizer. Starting the engine frequently doesn't make the fuel "better". There are many opinions about starting an engine while in storage, most experts feel that starting the motor without riding to bring it up to operating temperature generates moisture that doesn't evaporate completely creates rust and deterioration of metal components such as exhaust systems.
I totally agree with Bobby. I don't get the reluctance to state the locations of posters. What are you hiding or protecting?

Chico
Old 02-22-2019, 07:32 AM

Garage
I don't get the reluctance to state the locations of posters. What are you hiding or protecting?

I did not really think there is much reluctance, but more of a ďdidnít know I should to thatĒ. I will always say, admins run this show and can make decisions to make that a requirement if THEY see it as a good thing. My BMW forum, while I donít know if itís required, does have almost all members with locations, even though most are USA based, unlike here on the Bobber forum. I vote YES. 😬

Riding Free
Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
am I okay to go and put new fuel in?
Yes put new fuel in and run it you'll be fine!

Depending where you live and what fuel you use (how much ethanol is in it) modern petrol can be a nightmare and cause serious problems to older bikes. I've got a mate with a 1980s GPZ900R who just spent over a grand getting his carbs refurbed because he left it too long fuelled up without running.

But new machines are built for modern fuel and also the manufactures know the odds are their bikes are going to bought by a 50+ year old male who might well leave the bike for long periods between rides. So leaving in a few months over winter shouldn't do it any harm, just keep the battery charged and get the tank topped up with new fuel as soon as possible.

Last edited by Bobber-Bomb; 02-22-2019 at 08:31 AM.