Why we do it? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Why we do it?

I got the bike out again twice this week, god I have missed it.

It's a lump of metal, but I love it dearly. Rode for not as long as I would have liked, but enough to make me smile from ear to ear. When asked by non riders, why, I cannot really put into words why I do it. The best I can come up with is "it's chicken soup for the soul. It's a reset button, as soon as I ride I forget everything, it gives me some kind of balance, I get in the zone". I really cannot explain and in the end suggest a non rider trys it.

Anyone out there help me out how to explain to non riders why? I tried to get my wife into it, I even volunteered to get a Speedmaster as opposed to a Bobber so that she could also get it, but she doesn't. What is it that I crave that she and others don't?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLoveRocket71 View Post
I got the bike out again twice this week, god I have missed it.

It's a lump of metal, but I love it dearly. Rode for not as long as I would have liked, but enough to make me smile from ear to ear. When asked by non riders, why, I cannot really put into words why I do it. The best I can come up with is "it's chicken soup for the soul. It's a reset button, as soon as I ride I forget everything, it gives me some kind of balance, I get in the zone". I really cannot explain and in the end suggest a non rider trys it.

Anyone out there help me out how to explain to non riders why? I tried to get my wife into it, I even volunteered to get a Speedmaster as opposed to a Bobber so that she could also get it, but she doesn't. What is it that I crave that she and others don't?
I was a car man long before riding bikes. I’ve owned some serious metal over the years and raced competitively for over ten years. Some of the race cars I have owned have been road legal, and although I loved being out on a track, the simple pleasure of being out on the road in a car that provides such a sense of occasion, due to offering some theatre, was and still is a thrill...(when the roads are clear at least!)

I then, after putting bikes off for so many years, bit the bullet and bought my first bike, (some time ago now) and what was true of my experience and love of enjoying the road on four wheels... was elevated to a whole new level when on two!

Before that revalation... many bikers over the years had tried to explain and to convert my ways to that of the bikeside... but although I felt I had an idea as to what they were trying to convey... I could have never fully understood until I experienced it for myself.

In what you’ve written... I identify the most with, “It's a reset button, as soon as I ride I forget everything, it gives me some kind of balance”. In my own words, it’s pure mindfulness, nothing else other than the task at hand and the views around me enter my mind, which gives me a silent, restful peace and rest-bite from anything else that might be going on in my life.

I too have tried to explain this to people and more often that not it falls upon deaf ears. I’ve come realise it’s something that needs to be experienced and even then some fail to be stirred in the same way.

My wife also rides, has done for a lot longer than me... but see’s the bike as a means to get someone efficiently and swiftly, which of course it is and does, but I never use my bike to arrive, it’s used for the joy of the journey there and the Zen that brings me!
LordLoveRocket71 likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

There's clearly travel for utility purposes and that's fine. But for me, 'riding a bike' means no particular place to go, and just focusing on the now. That's true with bicycles as well as motorbikes for me. Others climb, hike, swim etc. I think its all the same really: just be in the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Roy

Garage
If I think back to my first bike and all the years/bikes since, perhaps the one thing that's constant be it riding for pleasure or to work, every time I get out on a bike it feels like I'm starting an 'adventure'...!

Love it..

Cheerio,

Roy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM

Garage
I think I would have to agree with the "It needs to be experienced" statement, I too have tried to explain it in words, and fall short every time.

You can plant the seed of curiosity, but until you "feel" it for your self, the words are just that, words.

Think the closest I've gotten is with Folks I know who have successfully operated trucks in extreme conditions. same focus and low level adrenaline fueled attention.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 AM

I am doing at least one long trip each year, this year I will attend the Tiger 800 Megameet in the Lake District. I guess I'll doing 3,500 kms on that trip. A lot of people ask me why I am doing this when I could jump on a plane and roast on a southern beach for two weeks instead of sitting every day on the bike, getting a sore bum and sometimes getting wet and/or cold. Those people do not get the idea: when I am doing a trip like that a lot of things which make my work life so stressful are left behind: no phone calls while driving no need to check e-mails, whatsapp and what have you. I somehow vanish from my every day life for a fortnight. It's just me and the bike fullstop. For me this is more relaxing that getting sunburnt on that beach.

As someone also pointed out: it's the drifting thing that makes such trips so interesting. Although I do pre-plan the trip with my satnav in order to do the best roads I almost never pre-book accomodation and so far it always worked out fine. I am grateful for the little surprises

I love doing trips with my mates here in Germany or big ride outs at events like the Megameet. But I really need riding on my own for a few days.

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:35 AM
tug

Garage
Unadulterated selfish freedom

Common Sense is a flower
that does not grow in every ones garden.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM

To me, it's breaking out of the ordinary, namely:
>allows me to be among the elements (especially on a Bobber)
>requires absolutely focus in the here & now (something that ordinary life rarely requires)
>the bike responds to my movements instantaneously which is gratifying
>riding only a short distance relieves stress
There are few activities that can invigorate the soul for life like a motorcycle.

Most men that do thrive in the world do forget to take pleasure during the time they're getting their estate, but reserve that til they have got one, and then it is too late to enjoy it. Samuel Pepys
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:43 PM

Adventure, friendships, adrenaline, overcoming adversity. Going to random places and talking to random people.

Almost died on a bike 4 years ago and have metal rods in both femurs from it. Worked so hard to get back on a bike again, and while I dont race cars or bikes anymore, most of my best friends were made somehow from motorcycles over the last 20 years.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Garage
I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s take on the, “why we do it”. The common theme that bonds us all is so easy to see, almost like saying the same thing in a slightly different language!
DevilDog, LordLoveRocket71 and Roy like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page