North Coast 500? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
North Coast 500?

Iím in the process of organising my first tour on the Bobber B and have concluded that the North Coast 500 is a good place to start.

Planning to do it over 7 days, with an organised tour consisting of 15 riders in total.

Ideally Iíd like to be doing this sort of thing on a bike better suited to touring, but I donít want having the wrong tool for the job to stop me from having a great time.

The bike is going to need some luggage options installed, so I wanted to ask you guys what you think would be the best options out there currently. Iím of course aware of the Triumph panniers, but are they the best option?

Also... Iíd love to hear from anyone whoís previous done the North Coast 500 or anyone who has any words of wisdom.

Cheers,

Mike.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
1- Waterproofs - consider something with bonded goretex (Rukka) rather than baggy liners, overnight stop won't get you dry....

2- Avon 'Skin So Soft' as a midge repellent, tried tested and it works.

3- Pray the petrol stops are less than 80 miles apart or it will be on your mind!

4- Luggage rack, 25L roll dry bag for it all, add a drybag messanger style for camera and bits (Kriega) for when it rains (not if).
Mike J Commo likes this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Personally, I hate organised tours. The beauty of Scotland is that you can wild camp just about anywhere. I love just taking off with a backpack and a bivvy bag and just going wherever the mood takes me. It could be Caithness or Skye or my personal favourite - Argyll.
Mike J Commo and Mar-Vel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:50 AM

I'd worry more about fuel solutions than luggage for the nc500. Camel back full of petrol maybe...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwoodcostin View Post
I'd worry more about fuel solutions than luggage for the nc500. Camel back full of petrol maybe...
I manage to get 120-130 miles per tank so itís not an issue up there. Plenty of 24hr stations, I just have to stop as and when I see one
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
Personally, I hate organised tours. The beauty of Scotland is that you can wild camp just about anywhere. I love just taking off with a backpack and a bivvy bag and just going wherever the mood takes me. It could be Caithness or Skye or my personal favourite - Argyll.
To be fair I do generally prefer to ride alone, at my own pace etc but on this occasion I just fancied giving it a go to try the social aspect
Forjox likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post
1- Waterproofs - consider something with bonded goretex (Rukka) rather than baggy liners, overnight stop won't get you dry....

2- Avon 'Skin So Soft' as a midge repellent, tried tested and it works.

3- Pray the petrol stops are less than 80 miles apart or it will be on your mind!

4- Luggage rack, 25L roll dry bag for it all, add a drybag messanger style for camera and bits (Kriega) for when it rains (not if).
Solid advice as per usual brother!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 AM

Garage
With group riding I think you will find your petrol consumption will be a heck of a lot less than you are used to. So many of the roads you will be on are twists and turns and single track, group riding will hammer your usual consumption on those roads, worst is realising you are at the back of a queue of 40 or 50 cages stuck behind a 40 foot caravan towed by a ford fiesta on the way to Applecross.
Psychopasta and Mike J Commo like this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Garage
Mike, you will love the NC500, did it a couple of years back and scenery is stunning. Didn't do it on my Bobber (Street Triple) but bike is definitely better than car on the single track roads. There are more fuel stations than some maps show but you will need to ensure you fill up when you can, especially on the west and north coast part of the route. Carry a hose so you can syphon off a mate in an emergency!!! I agree with other comments that your fuel consumption won't be as good as cruising around Kent once you get into the hills and twists. Waterproofs always a good bet in Scotland although we got round dry. Midges will be an issue on west coast so carry visor wipes. Please follow the full route, I see so many people saying they have done the NC500 only to see they take shortcuts and miss out sections, to be honest they're missing some of the best bits! Bealach na ba to applecross is a must, but the whole west coast is stunning. Enjoy, and I hope you get the weather because if the weathers good there's no better roads to be on a bike than in Scotland 😁

Mark Arbroath
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 PM

What about having a support vehicle or is that considered 'naff'.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page