Ideas for private plate - Triumph Bobber Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ideas for private plate

Evening all,

I noted that our American brothers seem to have some great licence plates that directly relate to the fact that they are on a Bobber. I then realised that Iíve not to date seen a private plate on a U.K. Bobber that makes reference to the bike in any way.

A strange thing to think about given that Iíve never desired a private plate, none the less I found myself toying with various options on a private plate site and found that for £400 you can have a pretty random first three digits, such as V20, V16 etc, with BOB making up the last three letters. However, I was a little surprised to see something a little more comprehensive such as, MY18 BOB, costing £1,599!!!

Anyway... I thought Iíd see if anyone else in the U.K. has bought a Bobber related private plate or if anyone has at least managed to find a clever means of creating one?

A note for those on the other side of the pond... I believe you guys can pretty much have what you want plate wise in some states and that itís incredibly cheap to do so compared to the U.K.?
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Evening all,

I noted that our American brothers seem to have some great licence plates that directly relate to the fact that they are on a Bobber. I then realised that I’ve not to date seen a private plate on a U.K. Bobber that makes reference to the bike in any way.

A strange thing to think about given that I’ve never desired a private plate, none the less I found myself toying with various options on a private plate site and found that for £400 you can have a pretty random first three digits, such as V20, V16 etc, with BOB making up the last three letters. However, I was a little surprised to see something a little more comprehensive such as, MY18 BOB, costing £1,599!!!

Anyway... I thought I’d see if anyone else in the U.K. has bought a Bobber related private plate or if anyone has at least managed to find a clever means of creating one?

A note for those on the other side of the pond... I believe you guys can pretty much have what you want plate wise in some states and that it’s incredibly cheap to do so compared to the U.K.?

Selection of plates vary state by state. In Virginia, there are about 200 different plates to chose from. Cost is $10 USD per year, which is cheap. Motorcycle plates have a smaller selection to chose from.
Mike J Commo likes this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.

Last edited by davidrb; 01-30-2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrb View Post
Selection of plates vary state by state. In Virginia, there are about 200 different plates to chose from. Cost is $10 USD per year, which is cheap. Motorcycle plates have a smaller selection to chose from.
Wow just $10 per year... and you can have pretty much what ever you want so long as someone else hasnít beaten you to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Wow just $10 per year... and you can have pretty much what ever you want so long as someone else hasnít beaten you to it?

Indeed... long as isn't something on the "bad list", like ASSMAN or the like. My favorite is the "Do Not Tread On Me" plate, which I have on my JEEP.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Indeed... long as isn't something on the "bad list", like ASSMAN or the like. My favorite is the "Do Not Tread On Me" plate, which I have on my JEEP.
Mind blowing when you consider that it costs £21,000 for the plate BOB 100 here in the U.K.!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM

Garage
In Minnesota, personalized plates have a higher up-front cost. I want to say the one for my car were around $200 or so? I'm probably going to be moving to Wisconsin sometime in the next 5 months or less, and personalized plates over there cost less up front, around $50, but they have an annual fee of $10 or so, depending on what type of plate you choose. Options are definitely limited though, as many people take advantage of the low cost.

Each one matters.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Doesn’t Kramer own that plate

We call them vanity plates over here, not expensive, I’m not a fan though, it’s like being stereotyped.

There are some sport bike riders who demonize the roads and act like no ones business and have a vanity plate which reflects their riding habits.

Last edited by Triumphrider; 01-30-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:52 AM

"BOBEAR" or "BOBAIR" if you say it in an accent
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM

UK Private Plate.....I have it

Found this within the DVLA database about a 15 months ago, surprised it hadn't been snapped up, so I did as it was a standard priced plate. Happy chappy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobber 2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	30563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobber Plate 3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	30565  
Mike J Commo, Roy and TheBigGuy like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicko1669 View Post
Found this within the DVLA database about a 15 months ago, surprised it hadn't been snapped up, so I did as it was a standard priced plate. Happy chappy...
Yes but illegal on a bike as a long plate.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page