Sissy bar - Triumph Bobber Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sissy bar

Have anyone done one?

I cant really make up my mind if it would look cool or not? Would be great to put my backpack on compared to getting those sidebags that ruins the sleek look.

Was thinking something about this size:

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Kanten View Post
Have anyone done one?

I cant really make up my mind if it would look cool or not? Would be great to put my backpack on compared to getting those sidebags that ruins the sleek look.

Was thinking something about this size:

Pleased someone has mentioned this, as I would love one for the same reason. One of the reasons I nearly went with a Sportster instead of my Bobber, was the sissy bar variety, among other customisation options.. Some people find it repulsive on the Triumph, as it ruins the lines of the Bobber, which I can agree with to an extent, but if designed and fabricated correctly, could look awesome.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 PM

I am contemplating to find a roll bag that would fit between the headlight and the handlebars, a-la easy rider look Dennis Hopper
Anders Kanten likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 PM
GPz

Seriously? Is this an April Fools joke? Would a person with functioning eyeballs really consider doing this?

If one needs to tote items on a Triumph Bobber, and doesn't like panniers or want to wear a backpack, why not affix a small luggage rack on the back fender so it looks like it might actually belong on a machine from the era the Bobber harkens back to? i.e. the 40s or 50s.

A sissy bar (sister bar) also makes zero sense when it's in a different zip code than the seat (and in this case your sister literally doesn't even have a seat). It's like putting a hood scoop on an electric car -- it looks fugly and you look like you don't comprehend the purpose.

That being said, it's your bike so do what you like and don't worry about what other people (like me) think! If I run into you I will buy you a beer and we can toast your hideous abomination. Then we can toast mine (I'm sure you will be able to spot something about it you don't like)

-GPz/Gary
unparalleledltwin likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post
Seriously? Is this an April Fools joke? Would a person with functioning eyeballs really consider doing this?

If one needs to tote items on a Triumph Bobber, and doesn't like panniers or want to wear a backpack, why not affix a small luggage rack on the back fender so it looks like it might actually belong on a machine from the era the Bobber harkens back to? i.e. the 40s or 50s.

A sissy bar (sister bar) also makes zero sense when it's in a different zip code than the seat (and in this case your sister literally doesn't even have a seat). It's like putting a hood scoop on an electric car -- it looks fugly and you look like you don't comprehend the purpose.

That being said, it's your bike so do what you like and don't worry about what other people (like me) think! If I run into you I will buy you a beer and we can toast your hideous abomination. Then we can toast mine (I'm sure you will be able to spot something about it you don't like)

-GPz/Gary
Free beer for me then! (I'm also four eyed, so I don't have functioning eyeballs). The subjective world of motorcycle culture.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post

-GPz/Gary

'Bobbers' were popularized from American culture( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobber_(motorcycle) ), as well as the sissy bar which evolved almost side-by-side. There's tons of references to the style you can find with a quick 5 second google search. LMGTFY .

Not only were they meant for reclining, but also for storage. Later bobjobs evolved into show bikes and became choppers, which also carried on the tradition of sissy bars. You could even make a large argument that the Triumph Bobber is heavily based on both early Bobbers and 50's Chopper design. I hope this was a sufficient answer to the query of 'who would do this'. So while you may not enjoy the look, they distinctly do go together. Like apple pie and ice cream, or fish and chips!

Admittedly I've only seen one tastefully mounted sissy bar, which happened to be directly behind the seat, mounted to the frame bolts which hold the air-box kit. As far as appearances, personally I think the saddlebags look clunky; like putting shoes on a dog. They make me feel like "There's somebody who wanted to buy an Indian but didn't want to invest 40k into a bagged out Scout." So to each their own I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bobberwitsissybar.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	30253  
MX429 likes this.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Personally i donīt feel the sissy bar would suit the Bobber.
I would go for a solution like a rear mounted rack if i had to carry any sort of luggage. It is also easy to remove/install.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
A member had done this before:

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...mond-seat.html

I don't think it looks horrible, but not for me. Would do a fender rack before the bar. To each there own......it's not like putting another seat on it...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcath View Post
'Bobbers' were popularized from American culture( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobber_(motorcycle) ), as well as the sissy bar which evolved almost side-by-side. There's tons of references to the style you can find with a quick 5 second google search. LMGTFY .

Not only were they meant for reclining, but also for storage. Later bobjobs evolved into show bikes and became choppers, which also carried on the tradition of sissy bars. You could even make a large argument that the Triumph Bobber is heavily based on both early Bobbers and 50's Chopper design. I hope this was a sufficient answer to the query of 'who would do this'. So while you may not enjoy the look, they distinctly do go together. Like apple pie and ice cream, or fish and chips!
That pic, either that dude is super tall or those foot pegs are super high up....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
I posted this before. Bike is still for sale here in Quebec. Been for sale for over a year now(price tag wayyyyyyy to high).

I can't say I'm a fan of the sissy bar but I think this was well done. I prefer the sissy bar compared to the fender rack but prefer the side pannier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triumph-Bonneville-Bobber-Anarchy5379img_2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	30257   Click image for larger version

Name:	f34395181e3f66ed9aeeb68f4f1d38dc.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	30259  

2017 Bobber | Morello Red | V&H Black Exhaust | Black Headers | Short Fenders | High Handlebars | LED Turn Signals | Brown Diamond Stitch Seat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page