Thinking out loud . - Triumph Bobber Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thinking out loud .

Hey guys...Would anybody know If there would be any adverse effect on the motor If there was a 2 into 2 exhaust system that had no cat and no X pipe...Apart from the sound that Is .
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
According to posts on this topic at other forums, and on this one, the thought is that this motor/tune needs the Xpipe or Cat in order to maintain torque levels.

I am no engineer, only regurgitating what I have read and have no real world experience with the topic.
Roy likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Roy

Garage
Thanks for that.

That question had crossed my mind too. I must confess I prefer the 'old world' simplicity of straight two-into- two pipes but also would not want to cause any issues.

Cheerio,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:52 PM

Good question. As a rule of thumb, small mods to intake or exhaust will make small negative changes to the tune. Large changes will make large negative effects to the tune. Everything from the shape of the airbox to the angle and number of bends in the exhaust pipes are coded into the tune. I talked to a master race tuner at a local race shop about a custom tune for the Bobber. He stated that outside of a tune box (which essentially tricks the ECU), he would have to wait for someone in the race world to "jailbreak" the ECU, which would be unlikely for quite some time.

More to the question of "adverse effects", the engine is going to either run very lean, or rich... and out of tune. The ECU probably won't be able to adjust to such radical changes properly, but that's a guess. You will likely lose HP and torque, probably not enough to substantially neuter the bike. Your pipes, if stainless steel, will most likely turn blue, then black fairly quickly due to excessive heat in the pipes.

This is the typical reaction to changes... I'm no expert on Triumph.
Roy likes this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Garage
I agree concerning the tune going out the window... that aside Iíd imagine it to sound utterly unrefined and quite terrible!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Vendor

We have a Thruxton R at the shop that is running the arrow straight headers and mufflers. It sounds amazing and runs pretty **** good also. Bike also has a power commander on it so able to adjust as needed.
Great Black North likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:07 PM

My TTR has arrows no balance pipe, 93 rwhp & sounds good.
My bobber has verex headers & goldies, 110rwhp & sounds the dogs do-dahs.
As AJ says pcv to fuel spot on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM

I am running a 2 into 1 with no cat or x-pipe. Dealer put on the Vance and Hines tune. I also did the 12-minute adaptive tune. Subsequently, I have added a booster plug. The bike ran great with the dealer and adaptive tune but it did have a lot of pops and backfires. After adding the booster plug, it has quieted these down almost completely (I actually kind of miss them!). It currently runs smooth as silk with absolutely no issues (I really was expecting some). As far as performance, it kinda feels like it has significantly more torque. It could just be the small ass seat I have on it! It could also be that it is finally broken in but it runs like a scalded dog!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefros View Post
I am running a 2 into 1 with no cat or x-pipe. Dealer put on the Vance and Hines tune. I also did the 12-minute adaptive tune. Subsequently, I have added a booster plug. The bike ran great with the dealer and adaptive tune but it did have a lot of pops and backfires. After adding the booster plug, it has quieted these down almost completely (I actually kind of miss them!). It currently runs smooth as silk with absolutely no issues (I really was expecting some). As far as performance, it kinda feels like it has significantly more torque. It could just be the small ass seat I have on it! It could also be that it is finally broken in but it runs like a scalded dog!!
It would be good to understand if it is in fact running lean or rich. I just wouldnít be happy assuming/hoping itís okay.... Iíve seen too many engine killed over time this way!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
It would be good to understand if it is, in fact, running lean or rich. I just wouldnít be happy assuming/hoping itís okay.... Iíve seen too many engine killed over time this way!
True. It would be nice to know exactly. The engine was running a little lean prior to the booster plug. I am presuming it is running right where it needs to be currently (by the lack of signs and symptoms of a rich or lean condition - lack of misfires, smooth idle, temperature, pipes/plug condition, etc,etc). If anything it is probably running slightly richer then the factory setup (so which engine is at more risk?). I've been into motorcycles for over 25 years. I have owned and been around a lot of customized bikes but don't seem to have the same experience of engine catastrophes. Maybe I am just been lucky!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page