Crazy story! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sorcath
  • 2 Post By muensterDeath

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Crazy story!

I don't know if this belongs on this particular section, but boy oh boy do I have a story to tell y'all!

Recently been going through a string of bad luck with my Bobber which include having my bike covered in a fine mist of white paint and running over roofing nails! Today on my day off I decide to go to my local Ducati/Triumph dealership and talk to the guys about my woes, purchase new tires(white walls! Huzzah!) and hang out before picking my son up from school. As we were trading stories, they regaled me with a recent theft that happened on January 4

As their story goes, on 4/1 a gentleman walked into the store with the intent to purchase a showroom, pinstriped custom Bobber they have had on display for a couple years. Everything clears, $1000 US down, guy rides off.

On 5/1 another gentleman comes in and tells them that his identity had been stolen, and his bank had told him he had purchased a brand new Triumph Bobber.

All is lost! Right? Well they did the right thing by contacting the Police and filing a report, as well as calling their insurance and starting the process of a claim. Meanwhile, my friend has been blowing up this guys phone! So now everybody is looking for this particular person.

Two whole days progress and things look bleak. 7/1 hits and the local Police give them a ring around 10am, says they have a motorcycle on a particular bad side of town with keys in ignition. No damage. Said thief parks it in front of old woman's house on 5/1 and leaves it there. After two days the woman calls the police and informs them a random motorcycle just showed up and nobody has come back.

Saw the Police report and contacts, so it's legit. An interesting story of pure luck that I figured everybody might enjoy. Hope y'all have a good day, or night!
ysoslo likes this.

Last edited by Sorcath; 01-11-2019 at 12:02 AM.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 AM

Garage
A perfect ending would be if the shop sold the used bike to the REAL guy for a reasonable discount, so he can ride around with a great story for years to come.

Each one matters.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 AM

My question is: why would the dealer let someone ride off with a payment of just $1,000.00?

Chico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
My question is: why would the dealer let someone ride off with a payment of just $1,000.00?

Chico

Probably because the estimated retail price sits around 9-14k for a 2017 Triumph Bobber. It's fairly common practice to take low down payments. I personally only put 4.5k only on mine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Chico
I didn’t put a dollar down on mine. I had totaled my Ducati, after being hit by a car, and was waiting for the check. I signed the deal and paid for it a couple weeks later.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:06 AM

You boys must have very honest faces. No dealer in my world would let a customer leave with a bike that wasn't paid for. Your story Sorcath proves why.

Chico
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
You boys must have very honest faces. No dealer in my world would let a customer leave with a bike that wasn't paid for. Your story Sorcath proves why.

Chico

My story proves that it wouldn't have mattered if it was 1 or 100% of the bike down. It's stolen identity my man. It happens, that's why the automotive industry requires you to carry insurance for your lot. What's going to happen to your "dealer in your world"(sic) when they have a bike lifted? That's just a silly statement.

To be fair, I look like an jerk in person. And to be further on point, I am an jerk in person most of the time when people make out of touch statements like that. But sure, in your world or whatever that means.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
It's treated the same as cars. You get a loan from bank, set up payments and drive way. The bank hold title till you pay it off but must have insurance policy. Pretty normal.
ysoslo and Sorcath like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page