The Battle between Heart & Head - Triumph Bobber Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Battle between Heart & Head

Yesterday I did a 400km round trip on my BB, it was 32 degrees. Today it is 35 degrees.
Whenever I go out for a ride I always have the same argument with myself about what I should wear. Yesterday was a long trip so I donned jeans, casual riding boots needing socks, mesh jacket with armour, gloves and my Shoei helmet. Today I'm tempted to go in t-shirt, jeans, plimsols amd my cheap and cheerful open face with sun glasses.
I have to remember that Thailand is officially now the most dangerous place to drive/ride in the world and I shouldn't let my heart rule my head. But..it's so dammed hot all geared up and great just to jump on and not be all covered up.
What do you guys do when it's hot. Always safety first or do you let the heart rule the head??
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

I am also guilty of not wearing ATGATT during the summer months. Itís simply too hot (circa 40įc). I normally wear a mesh jacket (Rukka), breathable/perforated riding boots or CE rated sneakers and gloves. But stick with light jeans or shorts.
And I also carry a spare T-shirts as I canít stand being wet from sweat when I reach wherever Iím going.

I think we have to strike a balance between comfort and relative safety while understanding the consequences of not donning full gear all the time. For instance I would never ride in flip flops like some riders here do. But who am I to judge when Iím riding around in shorts (albeit with protected feet)!
Having the right gear for the climate is super important in order to maximize airflow and decrease body temperature - as is hydration to keep you focused & sharp.

I respect those who wear full gear all the time & deep down knows itís the only way we should be setting off before each ride.
However my personal choice and preferred gear during the hottest months is as stated above.
Freddy likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Guilty of wearing flip flops on my Vespa but never never ever on motorbikes. T-shirt, shorts, slip on loafers and no helmet , guilty on local rides when not going near a town. However, the fine here for no helmet is about £5 and carry on so not a biggy. That's only on Police helmet days though. Gotta love Thailand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Guilty of wearing flip flops on my Vespa but never never ever on motorbikes. T-shirt, shorts, slip on loafers and no helmet , guilty on local rides when not going near a town. However, the fine here for no helmet is about £5 and carry on so not a biggy. That's only on Police helmet days though. Gotta love Thailand.
I never ride with shorts (or flip-flops!! but used to ride t-shirts, jeans and occasionally, hi top sneakers. But, no more. Now, it’s ATTGAT (an acronym for keeping the peace in my household and because the Northwest is generally moderate, really high temps aren’t an issue. But, in my rides down to California, there have been times when I wish I was in that old outfit. Then again, with heat/sweat dispersing base layer (either moto specific or Uniqlo) and a quality mesh jacket (Rev’it), it all works. My Shoei 1200RF vents pretty well but, being a full face, it still gets warm. So, more than occasional stops to hydrate.
Freddy likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 AM

I might . . . underline might . . . occasionally ride in a 3/4 helmet. Everything else is always full gear - pants, armored jacket, gloves.

I had a good friend who was in the Far East on business. Over a free weekend he decided to rent a bike and see the sites. He didn't rent a helmet. He was in a relatively minor accident and died from head injuries.

Didn't mean to come off sounding like a namby pamby but I like to be careful.
Freddy likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:53 AM

When it’s hot, t shirt and long pants. Never owned a full face.
Freddy likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:43 AM

Garage
I've ridden up to about 38 in full leathers with a full face, most notably the Norge back up through Italy... Biggest issue was visor up? visor down? alternated every minute or so. Too dusty open, too hot shut, and the old RF wouldn't stay at a good angle.
Freddy likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

To me a helmet is a 100% necessity.
Even when in Greece and Thailand I use one and canít imagine riding without.
Be it 3/4 or FF, I usually travel with my own one as itíll have comms built in and only smell of ďmeĒ
Same goes for gloves. No way I could put on a rental/used pair.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I might . . . underline might . . . occasionally ride in a 3/4 helmet. Everything else is always full gear - pants, armored jacket, gloves.

I had a good friend who was in the Far East on business. Over a free weekend he decided to rent a bike and see the sites. He didn't rent a helmet. He was in a relatively minor accident and died from head injuries.

Didn't mean to come off sounding like a namby pamby but I like to be careful.
I'm sorry for your loss, sir. How sad that one little mistake (not renting a helmet) cost him his life. Sad, but a great lesson for the rest of us.
Freddy likes this.

Each one matters.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Garage
This video is a little long, but covers some interesting information.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page