Did I make the right choice... - Triumph Bobber Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Did I make the right choice...

YES...I bloody well did.....

Okay chap, I just wanted to share an experience I had yesterday and wondered if any of you had similar experiences.

Let me start by saying I'm NOT beating up on Harley's. I've owned a few and have always had a soft spot for them, so yes I'm a fan.

However yesterday I had some time to kill (wife was having her hair done) and I found myself right next to the Santa Fe HD dealer, so popped in to peruse (I was not on my Triumph). Aside from the sales rep that practically assaulted me as I was three feet in and never left my side (don't you hate the hard sell), it was nice to see some of the bikes on offer.

The only bike that really spoke to me was a lovely new Softail Deluxe. As I sat on it I couldn't help thinking 'yes I could see myself on this'. So for a nano second I contemplated which I would have picked if the Bobber and this had been presented to me side by side. THEN the sales rep informed me of the price which was nearly $10,000 MORE than the Bobber...yikes...

Yes I really did make the right choice (as if there was any doubt). I think you are getting a terrific deal with the Bobber and I'm astonished that HD can ask such inflated prices. The Triumph Bobber (you all know this) is not only beautiful but a quality bike, beautifully put together and finished and I think you get a lot for your money.

Once I got home I appreciated my Triumph even more, as if that's possible...

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 7.50.48 AM.png
Views:	130
Size:	672.4 KB
ID:	29147  
eisen77, Dyna, Bassbšr and 4 others like this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:20 AM

We do love our Bobbers. I went out to look at a Harley '48 and came home with the bobber.
I like the way everyone's Bobber can look so different to each other.
Dyna, ysoslo and Roy like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 AM

Yeah, I also made the obligatory trip to the Harley dealer at one point. Was not overly tempted by the new bikes, though of like everyone I'd love to have an old panhead or the like.

But as far as price goes, it's worth noting that Harleys are still (mostly) made in the US, with union labor. That no doubt makes a difference, compared with non-union labor in Thailand. (I do understand that Harley has moved some work overseas, including Thailand - hence the "mostly" above.)
Roy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 01:47 PM

As some of you know, Iím restricted to forward control, so my bike choice is a bit limited, itís the main reason I havenít owned a bike for the past 20 years...

Yes, I could have got a Harley, and I did in fact try a couple of models out. Both belonging to friends.

The result was they did nothing to make me want to buy one....heavy, horrible brakes, heavy controls, and pretty poor performance. And **** expensive..

Although itís early days, I can already see that the Bobber was the right choice to get me back onto 2 wheels... light controls, nice handling, decent brakes, and enough go, for my needs.
eisen77 and Roy like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
YES...I bloody well did.....

Okay chap, I just wanted to share an experience I had yesterday and wondered if any of you had similar experiences.

Let me start by saying I'm NOT beating up on Harley's. I've owned a few and have always had a soft spot for them, so yes I'm a fan.

However yesterday I had some time to kill (wife was having her hair done) and I found myself right next to the Santa Fe HD dealer, so popped in to peruse (I was not on my Triumph). Aside from the sales rep that practically assaulted me as I was three feet in and never left my side (don't you hate the hard sell), it was nice to see some of the bikes on offer.

The only bike that really spoke to me was a lovely new Softail Deluxe. As I sat on it I couldn't help thinking 'yes I could see myself on this'. So for a nano second I contemplated which I would have picked if the Bobber and this had been presented to me side by side. THEN the sales rep informed me of the price which was nearly $10,000 MORE than the Bobber...yikes...

Yes I really did make the right choice (as if there was any doubt). I think you are getting a terrific deal with the Bobber and I'm astonished that HD can ask such inflated prices. The Triumph Bobber (you all know this) is not only beautiful but a quality bike, beautifully put together and finished and I think you get a lot for your money.

Once I got home I appreciated my Triumph even more, as if that's possible...

Cheerio,

Roy

Roy, frankly comparing a Triumph to a Harley is unfair. They are two different types of motorcycles like comparing a BMW to a KTM.

I have owned 11 HD's a few Triumphs and came back to the Triumph Bobber (still own two HD's)

I will elaborate when I have more time.
Forjox and Roy like this.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Hi Ribkick,

Yes I get you on that. It wasn't my intention to specifically compare, more like just a casual observation on an impromptu visit to the HD dealer and seeing a HD I really liked. That prompted my initial post. If I had had 20 plus grand in my pocket going spare I would have likely brought it home..

Cheerio,

Roy
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 AM

Garage
I, too, have been an HD owner for many years. Still appreciate them for what they are. After selling my Low Rider and being a renter for awhile, I wanted a new bike and went straight to the local Harley dealer. I was now in the market for something lighter, more responsive and no longer wanted a 700 lb. motorcycle. I looked at the street bikes 750 and 500) but, they just had cut too many corners IMO. Test rode a 1200 Sportser which was totally underwhelming. Between those experiences and a pressure sell at the dealer, I passed and moved on. Now own an Indian Scout for multi-day trips and the Bobber for day trips and around town. At about the same time, a friend, also a long term Harley guy, left the fold and his V-Rod for a Ducati Diavel. And the list goes on. HD is clearly acknowledging the problem and hopefully will be able to stem the tide with the their newly planned entries. Sure hope so, as they are important to the industry. (P.s. Roy, I rented the Softail Deluxe many times for long multi-day rides and it was a favorite, particularly for those highway stretches or big sweeping mountain curves. But, frankly, at my current age, weight and style of riding, wouldn’t want it for my everyday motorcycle or around town riding. Just too much bike and too much money).
eisen77 and Roy like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:22 AM

I too have had my fair share of Harley’s. I do like their styles. Keep in mind too, that HD doesn’t set pricing, dealerships do. They mark them up exponentially. They are still expensive from the factory, but from what I understand is that each dealership can price them to whatever they choose. Other manufacturers control the price of their bikes and what dealers can sell them at.
Roy likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:47 PM

I own a 2004 Harley Bagger (purchased new) and the Bobber. If I decided today it's time to retire the "old girl" and walk into a Triumph dealership, there wouldn't be a choice of long distance touring bike to offer. The Trophy doesn't offer the cargo capacity or ergonomics of a good touring bike - if it's even offered anymore.

By the same token, Harley doesn't offer anything that comes close to the Triumph Bobber - not when you start comparing standard features point-by-point. And the best part? In America - the Triumph is respected by Motorcycle Clubs as an authentically established brand that shares the same heritage (albeit competitive) as the Harley. I've gotten nothing but compliments.
ysoslo, Irisheye and Roy like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:49 PM

HD are not made In the US.

Technically speaking, Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold in the United States are not actually made here, but assembled here. Harley contracts manufacturing of parts to plants located all over the world, including Germany, Italy, Taiwan, Japan, and Mexico. Those parts are then shipped to Harley factories here. And these are not just accessories, but components for engines, chassis, and wheels. Exactly what percentage of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is American made, is not exactly known, as each model and model year is different.
You can read the full story here . https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/t...orcycles-made/
majstevetrevor and Roy like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page