BMW GS 1200 or Triumph Tiger 1200 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By eisen77
  • 1 Post By Leon
  • 1 Post By Leon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

BMW GS 1200 or Triumph Tiger 1200

So I’m thinking about buying a new bike in a few months to compliment my Bobber Black. I want something a little quieter that I can go on longer rides and be more comfortable but also be able to use off road if need be. Any suggestions on these two bikes I’ve zeroed in on?
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So Iím thinking about buying a new bike in a few months to compliment my Bobber Black. I want something a little quieter that I can go on longer rides and be more comfortable but also be able to use off road if need be. Any suggestions on these two bikes Iíve zeroed in on?
I took the 2018 Tiger 1200 out for a test ride a month back and absolutely loved it.

The 1200 GS is a lovely bike also although from what Iíve read the new R1250GS is the one to go for now!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

HERE is a thread re. the Tiger.
It was posted before the release of the new 1250cc GS, which is supposed to be even better than the 1200cc version it is replacing.

I really liked the new Tiger 1200 (alot), but not enough to trade my GSA for. Iīve just bonded too well with the big girl.
My GSA will only be replaced by another GSA. But with ESA Wilbers on the way, that day is a loooooong way off (i hope )
Psychopasta and Mike J Commo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:19 AM

I've had two R1200GSs over the years. I loved them both. BMW sorta' started the Adventure Bike thing. They know what they are doing. I'm sure the Tiger 1200 is a fine bike too. I've just never ridden one.

Just an aside, if you get a chance read Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. I love the book! It will give you a taste of what you can put a BMW through.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:49 PM

Garage
Iím riding a gsa since 4 years now and I canít imaging having another bike for long distance travels. Except perhaps a r 1250 gsa when itís available. 😁👍✌️

Make Life a Ride
Calthi
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:24 PM

One word fixes the decision I guess

ĄWeightď

If you want the possibility to go off-road, every extra kg is way too much ==> both bikes you mentioned carry some weight youĎre probably going to hate if you do not follow the standard roads. ==> why would you do that if there are other options?
I did not check out carefully (as I probably should) but I guess the weight of these 2 is easily beaten by some other bikes even within the Triumph or BMW brands. The max speed at the big ones might be a few km higher but,... how important is that? (my experience tells me ďnot at allĒ, but i am speaking entirely for myself) driving 170km+ on a bike, whichever one, on a normal road is ..... you get it.

Just drive all options on &offroad, I cannot imagine, as an example the Tiger1200 is so much better on the road itís disadvantages off-road are being equalised by the advantages on road, (compared with as example) a tiger 800.
But, You have to drive it anyway

Cu
Lťon
eisen77 likes this.

A) Tiger 800 Jet Black
B) Bobber black about 9.000 km ago
C) a backpack to be used with B) if you need a toothbrush AND a fresh t-shirt.
Btw WARNING!
Please try to avoid C) as itís going to break your back on the long run.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Iíve had my LC GSA off road (lightly) and yes itís quite top heavy and would definitely not be my first choice if I had to take it off road regularly unless I had a lot of practice, proper training and 2 sets of tires (road biased and off road - as they are very easy to swap out).
Once moving it simply floats over everything. The trouble starts, as Leon mentioned, when weight comes in to play; usually once itís tipped over!

The regular GS would be easier to control and the smaller engines (650ís, 800ís, etc) would be even better suited to off roading.
Saying that, nothing in the parallel twin range comes close to having a boxer 1170cc powering down the road (and Iím not talking about top speed) with such an easy and addictive spread of torque.

In my humble opinion, the GS can tick all the boxes for you...and then some. Just choose the right tires for the job (which will make a huge difference).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM

Twice

Seems Iíve got some stuff in comparison with eisen77,
A) having the habit of pressing buttons twice
B) acknowledge the fact weight doesnít really help
The fact tyres make a huge handling difference off-road as you mentioned, agreed!
Cu
Lťon
eisen77 likes this.

A) Tiger 800 Jet Black
B) Bobber black about 9.000 km ago
C) a backpack to be used with B) if you need a toothbrush AND a fresh t-shirt.
Btw WARNING!
Please try to avoid C) as itís going to break your back on the long run.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page