Mistakes - Triumph Bobber Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Mistakes

Thought it might be interesting to post some of the mistakes made when buying accessories for our Bobbers. May also assist others in avoiding the same.
I've only had my BB for a few weeks and am currently still excited. Anything Triumph Bobber I'm like a kid in a sweet shop.

So here's my mistake. Went to my my nearest dealer (Khon Kaen, Thailand) for my 800km first service.
Started shopping immediately. Picked up the black barrel grips asked for them to be put on, I have the brown diamond stitched seat so 2nd guessed myself and swapped for the brown grips. The brown seat with the matte black looks great in my opinion, but the grips!! Maybe it's the shade ( bit washed out looking) but I hate them.
So that was £48 wasted and now gonna spend another £48 swapping to the black.
Colour aside, very comfortable grips.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:22 AM

I just ordered my third different seat and my second different pair of grips. I don't think the first seats/pairs of grips were a mistake. My taste just changed . . . and I enjoy experimenting with different looks. (And I can always switch back.)

Buying a new rear shock was definitely not a mistake. It was the best money that I spent on my Bobber.

Right now I love my whitewall tires but I know that they are going to be a pain in the rear to keep clean so I might regret my decision down the road.

I would caution against buying the tank pads. The film that sticks them to the tank is not very substantial.

If I went around beating myself on the head for all the "wrong" accessories that I have bought for my motorcycles over the years I would have a very flat head.
eisen77 likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Agree with not beating yourself up too much, but in the spirit of every day's a school day:

I had a Triumph Tiger 800 which has a nicely blacked-out engine, engine guard bars etc. I bought a pair of Touratech footpegs for it which were very nice, but I carelessly bought the polished aluminium variant instead of the blacked out version. The footpegs just stood out so much that I had to take them off. They offended mine eyes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM

I also have 3 seats which I don't really consider mistakes as I sometimes use the cooler seats at shows then switch back to my favorite for comfort! The Bobber has trophied several times.

I also modded my stock exhaust which wasn't really a mistake because at the time none of today's better exhausts were available, no money lost just time!

I love to go to bike shows and car shows to see the great things people have done but maybe more importantly to see what not to do!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 PM

Garage
3 seats and 2 exhausts for a tiger 800 in the shed, 2 seats and 3 exhausts for a tiger sport in the shed, **** i still have a cbx1000 6/2 exhaust knocking about somewhere!
eisen77 likes this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:07 PM

Okay, so I just realized from the above post that I have an average of 4 exhausts for each of the 4 bikes currently in the garage. At least some of those need to be mistakes. I also have about 8 helmets a few of which I could have saved money on by not buying!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:03 AM

Yeah I know the feeling well....Bought a $800 Mivv exhaust for my R9T once I installed It I wasn't crazy on the way It looked , you know the way you turn around and look at your bike while walking away well my eyes goes straight to the exhaust I kept on thinking do I like It or not and oh no buyers remorse....Anyway one mad Sunday after noon I took the cut off wheel and went to work . Im happy now . before and after pics .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	28697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	28699  
Psychopasta and gfspencer like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYP View Post
Okay, so I just realized from the above post that I have an average of 4 exhausts for each of the 4 bikes currently in the garage. At least some of those need to be mistakes. I also have about 8 helmets a few of which I could have saved money on by not buying!
Only 8 helmets?? You haven't even gotten started.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Only 8 helmets?? You haven't even gotten started.
That makes me a true novice in the group, i'm on 3 lol
gfspencer likes this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar-Vel View Post
Yeah I know the feeling well....Bought a $800 Mivv exhaust for my R9T once I installed It I wasn't crazy on the way It looked , you know the way you turn around and look at your bike while walking away well my eyes goes straight to the exhaust I kept on thinking do I like It or not and oh no buyers remorse....Anyway one mad Sunday after noon I took the cut off wheel and went to work . Im happy now . before and after pics .
HUGE improvement! Well done!
Mar-Vel likes this.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page