My experience adjusting Triumph mini-apes - Triumph Bobber Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb My experience adjusting Triumph mini-apes

In another thread, I made an offhanded comment that I needed to adjust the angle of the mini-apes that were preinstalled on my Bobber. The issue was that, while more comfortable than the original bars, it put me in an awkward position where I was leaning forward to reach the bars. This also extended my elbows and wrists, locking them straight out and caused aches, particularly since I adjusted the seat all the way back for a more relaxed position.

This provides two options:
  1. drill new, or elongate the existing pin holes drilled into the bars, which will allow you to adjust the bars.
  2. grind out the original pins flush with the riser, but you will need to insert new pins.
I chose option 2, as I thought it would provide the easiest solution. Most other bikes have heavily knurled bars and clamps, so are easily adjustable and don't need pins. Unfortunately, the bars are only "finely" knurled, and the clamp/risers are smooth.

This resulted in the bars moving under any pressure. I attempted to use small pieces of rubber to enhance grip, but this only slowed the drift down. Also, even with blue Locktite - the clamp bolts worked lose.

So there must be pins; pinning the handlebars in place are integral to the safety and are not a bit of over-engineering as I had hoped.

I purchased 1/4" x 2" steel dowels, and drilled new holes through the top of the handlebars to access the original OEM holes. After positioning the bars to the right position, I thin drilled new holes through the risers, inserted the dowles, and used a cutting wheel to remove the excess and grind the dowles flush with the top of the bars. In essence, "double pinned" the bars top and bottom. The clamp then covers the new pins and ensures that they do not pop out or move, and also covers up any evidence of the process.

On hindsight, I believe option 1 would be a better solution. It would be less work, and offers the ability to lock the bars in a more relaxed position. Option 2 was a lot of work, and i had to do a fair amount of measuring, and use up 3 drill bits. But understand, option 1 could also offer up it's own list of issues.

I hope this helps someone thinking of performing this procedure into making the best decision.

Best, Dave
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Dave,

I understand your issues. When I first had my bars fitted, I felt somewhat annoyed as the pins in the risers 'fixed' the bars in place. I eventually removed the pinned risers and replaced them with the original non pinned examples. My dealer would not do this for me sighting safety concerns.

History:
I have fitted apes on many of my bikes and never at all have needed or encountered pinned risers. So the new set up works just fine. I recall in my youth hitting a car side on a 70mph, my knees took the brunt of the impact as they hit the apes during my impromptu 'flight' into the unknown. I survived and my knees took years to recover but are doing pretty good these days. I really shudder to think what would have happened if the bars had no give and had been 'pinned' (or fixed) into place.

As a side note a friend of mine is custom altering some high bars for me. BUT i will be fitting these with the non pinned rises and will never have pinned risers on my bikes due to the experience mentioned above.

With properly clamped down bars, in my humble opinion there is absolutely no need for any kind of pinned risers. After many bike with apes on, I have 'never' had a single issue, so will continue to run apes 'without' pinned risers.

Just my tupence worth.

Cheerio,

Roy

Last edited by Roy; 10-15-2018 at 10:11 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Yep did the same - just used the original unpinned risers that came with the bike and were returned in the box with the original handlebars when the apes were fitted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Dave,

I understand your issues. When I first had my bars fitted, I felt somewhat annoyed as the pins in the risers 'fixed' the bars in place. I eventually removed the pinned risers and replaced them with the original non pinned examples. My dealer would not do this for me sighting safety concerns.

History:
I have fitted apes on many of my bikes and never at all have needed or encountered pinned risers. So the new set up works just fine. I recall in my youth hitting a car side on a 70mph, my knees took the brunt of the impact as they hit the apes during my impromptu 'flight' into the unknown. I survived and my knees took years to recover but are doing pretty good these days. I really shudder to think what would have happened if the bars had no give and had been 'pinned' (or fixed) into place.

As a side note a friend of mine is custom altering some high bars for me. BUT i will be fitting these with the non pinned rises and will never have pinned risers on my bikes due to the experience mentioned above.

With properly clamped down bars, in my humble opinion there is absolutely no need for any kind of pinned risers. After many bike with apes on, I have 'never' had a single issue, so will continue to run apes 'without' pinned risers.

Just my tupence worth.

Cheerio,

Roy
@Roy ,
I am going to have my black high bar fitted this week (after being sat in my garage for 16 months )
How are you getting along with the ¨unpinned¨ risers?
I am planning on using my black wunderkind risers with the bar instead of the silver pinned ones that came with the bar.

I assume my heated grips will work with the high bar, correct?

Thanks,

E.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I am thinking about adding wunderkind forward controls too. But want to see how i feel with the high bar first.
My knees feel a bit cramped sometimes, but i like the way the mid controls look...and don´t want my feet close to the downpipes...

(excuse my awfully old crocs )

Last edited by eisen77; 04-28-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:14 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi E,

I have now been running my mini-apes for almost a year on standard 'un-pinned' risers. I have had absolutely NO issues whatsoever.

I have turned the risers around, adjusted the bars on many occasions and the bars have always remained rock solid.

As an update; I purchased a second set of Triumph mini-apes and these were sent last year to a friend of mine. He has customized them (more details to follow) to just adjust the riding position to fit me perfectly (I hope.). These are now at the powder coaters and looking forward to getting them/fitting them in the coming weeks.

Back to your original question and again - I have had NO issues with running mini-apes with stock risers, just make sure the correct rubber inserts are fitted and they are tightened down well.

Cheerio,

Roy
eisen77 likes this.

Last edited by Roy; 04-28-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Garage
My bars are not pinned either, they are not the triumph bars (couldn't get them when I bought mine) and I have not had any problems, even when I am jerking back on them to get the bike out of the wheel chock in my trailer.
eisen77 likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated!

I’ll send some pics once installed with the Wunderkind risers.
Can’t wait to have my back more upright and stop the “slouching” down to the OEM bar.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

@Roy
Funnily enough I also have 2 sets of high bars!

One was sent out in error and when I offered to send it back (at my cost) the German reseller (from eBay ) told me to keep it.
So perhaps once you update us with your mod, I’ll shamelessly copy you
Roy likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Garage
I think you'll really like the more comfortable seating position with the high bars, eisen77. The heated grips do indeed work with the high bars as well. Mine got a workout this weekend.
eisen77 likes this.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page