Bobber vs Speedmaster that is the question - Triumph Bobber Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Bobber vs Speedmaster that is the question

Hello guys, new to this forum but a long time lurker.
The thing is that after a few nights without sleep I went to my dealer with the firm decision to buy a beautiful black Bobber on the show floor, I really, really want that bike but felt cramped with my 6'2",
As soon as I took my CC out of my wallet, a Boneville Speedmaster on the corner caught my attention, sat on it and what a difference in comfort, perfect riding position, loved the swept back handlebars and forward controls, took a few pics of me on the bike and the size was right as opposed to the Bobber. I can always take the rear pad off and give it a bobber look but still not the Bobber I always dream of, nonetheless a beautiful bike aswell.
Whats your take on the Speedmaster? please talk me out of it!
Due to the horrible traffic, I ride a BMW F700GS to work every day, ugly bike but a great commuter, I want something more stylish to ride in between days, not a garage queen, not sure if a Bobber would be the right choice, The Speedmaster looks bigger (I dont know if it is) and definetely more comfortable. Saddly no test rides avaliable for either bikes.
'

Last edited by Galion; 10-14-2018 at 12:45 AM.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 AM

Garage
I'm biased... because I went with the Speedmaster, but the Black and the SM are very close. SM handles really well, and when I went to the dealer to look at the Thunderbird, they offered me a ride on the SM. Sold it to me immediately. You do need a test ride though.
Galion likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 AM

You need to ride these bikes to make a decision.
For me, it's a no brainer BUT that is me not you.
I love the bobber and couldn't live with those bars on the Speedmaster but that's just me.
You seriously need an hours ride on each IMHO.
Galion likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:23 AM

Garage
I like the SM a great deal, Iíve not ridden one but I canít imagine thereís a great deal of difference in the handling between it and the BB but would expect the SM to be more comfortable.

Iím 6.4Ē and 240 Ibs and get along with the Bobber well. But itís about how you feel personally on the bikes. Surely if looking to lay down money on either bike the dealer will let you test ride them?
Galion likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 AM

If you like the riding position of the SM, have you thought about fitting the SM forward control kit onto the Bobber?? Itís a factory option, and a few guys on here run FC.

Due to a pair of legs that donít work properly, this is what Iím doing...

Hers a pic of my Bobber, and most of the FC kit, some bits are missing

Galion likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Garage
Iíd be keen to test ride a Bobber with FCís fitted... but given the cost I certainly wouldnít take the chance just in case it didnít work for me.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Garage
I think it also depends on how you plan to use the bike. While a number of guys here have done really successful long trips on the Bobber, IMO it probably isnít what it was designed for, at least not without some mods. Luggage carrier, more comfortable seat, relaxing the OEM rear shock, maybe FC controls, etc, etc. Just about whatever you could do, itís probably been done by one or more forum members. Except, no passenger option if thatís your thing.

On the other hand, the SM, as youíve already experienced, pretty much addresses some if not all, these issues. It seems like some who have BBs, think the bikes are similar many ways (I have an original Bobber, not a BB so I canít chime in on that). Have to admit, if I didnít have my Indian Scout for longer multi-day trips, Iíd probably buy an SM since for me, the Bobber is used for day trips and around town.

Regardless of what you decide, not sure you can go wrong. Theyíre both great motorcycles. But, my concern is the dealer not letting you test ride. Thatís a big no-no in my book and might be a red flag about their customer service. If you havenít already done so, Iíd check them out more thoroughly with others whoíve bought, serviced or if possible, those who chose another dealer.
ysoslo and Galion like this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
I’d be keen to test ride a Bobber with FC’s fitted... but given the cost I certainly wouldn’t take the chance just in case it didn’t work for me.
Unfortunatly, I couldn’t find a UK dealer with a forward control Bobber, available for Demo... most didn’t even know it was a Triumph approved option. I suspect they don’t know that Mid controls are also available for the Speedmaster.... makes sense as the front of the frame is the same for both bikes..

So next best thing was to try a SM, and hope that the Bobber will suit when I fit the kit which isn’t that expensive in my view.

If it doesn’t work out, I’ll remove the forward controls, sell the Bobber and go for a Speedmaster with this sort of spec..

Galion likes this.

Last edited by Enoch; 10-14-2018 at 07:43 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 AM

Garage
A fair point... testing a SM would provide a pretty good idea/understanding as to whether the FC set up would be to anyoneís liking.

Just promise me one thing... youíll powder coat the shinny parts black to match the rest of the bike
ysoslo likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
A fair point... testing a SM would provide a pretty good idea/understanding as to whether the FC set up would be to anyoneís liking.

Just promise me one thing... youíll powder coat the shinny parts black to match the rest of the bike
Itís quite disappointing that Triumph donít supply the forward control kit in black Iíll make do for now, but if I get on with the bike, Iíll Black the kit out
Mike J Commo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page