Guy on Harley scrapes my car - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Guy on Harley scrapes my car

I live in California where lane splitting is legal. I do it often, but make sure I'm careful about it, especially when traffic is stopped and the space is tight. If i'm not sure i can make it through, I wait til cars start moving and space opens up. On my way to work the other day (on the few times where i drive and not on the Bobber) and was stopped at a traffic light, I see a guy on a Harley coming through. I tried to move over but since we were all stopped and jam packed in there I couldn't really move that much over. Also the car on my right was pretty close to me. I saw the space was really narrow (there's no way I would have tried to pass through on my Bobber which is much smaller than this guys bike) but he proceeds to squeeze through. I heard him make contact with my car, but as a fellow rider, I let it slide as I figured it was just a small tap with no real damage. When I got to work, I saw he left a nice 2" long deep scratch on the side of my car.

Here's a clip from my dash camera - in the video after he passes me, you can see he also hits this nice high-end Mercedes side mirror to the point where it folds forward, then also looks like he then bumps the other suv on the right. Once the light turned green, he just rode off like nothing happened.

This really ticks me off. Guys like this give all of us decent riders a bad rep. Riders like him are probably why a lot of drivers hate motorcyclists, as they've probably had their car bumped/scratched/damaged by guys like this.

I don't want to ever have any ill-wishes to anyone, especially a fellow rider, but I have to say that if he keeps riding like this, he is just inviting some bad karma his way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_190944.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	28359  
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:12 PM

Garage
Call that guy in, man. A$$holes come in all shapes and sizes, but just because he's on 2 wheels shouldn't give him diplomatic immunity. That's a bunch of BS...

Each one matters.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:23 PM

Dang! Yeah, that would have got me hot. Fellow rider or not, I would have jumped out and ran him down on foot, if I could have. At least to get his lic. plate. Then I would have given it to the guy in front of you too, so he could turn the jerk in also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:04 AM
Roy

Garage
This dumb ass really doesn't know how to ride.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

sucks that as i was telling one of my friends today (who also rides) about what happened, and he said he sees riders do this all the time here in ca. just so happens, someone he knows had a biker clip her side mirror recently that it broke off and rode away. cost her like over 600$ to replace as with all the new cars, it had all the sensors, and tech stuff. guess there's a lot of them out there on the roads. really bothers me, as every person that rides that i have met in my 20 years or riding have been the nicest folks. it's true, in the saying that it only takes one rotten apple to ruin the bunch!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollalong View Post
Dang! Yeah, that would have got me hot. Fellow rider or not, I would have jumped out and ran him down on foot, if I could have. At least to get his lic. plate. Then I would have given it to the guy in front of you too, so he could turn the jerk in also.
didn't realize he clipped the guy in front of me until i went back that night and looked at the video more closely. if i had realized this when it happened, then i would have definitely tried to talk to the person in the car in front to see if he wanted to press charges, as it's clear that i got the bikers license plate and all. who knows how many cars this guy has probably damaged or is going to in the future. some people are just a-holes! he needs his riding privilages revoked asap!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 AM

Garage
Iím sorry but fellow biker or not... hit my car or bike and unless you stop immediately to say sorry and to work out what can be done about it... Iíll be having a serious sense of humour failure!

That ar$e hole deserves a smack!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:55 AM

Garage
Unbelievable! Total A-hole. And thereís no way he didnít know what he did. If itís worth it to you, you could always contact the Merc owner to see about pressing charges. Youíve got him dead to rights. The motorcycle community has enough PR problems as it is, without having riders like this contributing to the anti-bike sentiment. Enough incidents like that and before you know it, California will be considering repealing lane splitting or filtering.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 AM

That guy isn't a "fellow rider". He is a jerk. If he hit two cars in that little escapade then he has hit more.
Mike J Commo likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

A**hole. Complete and utter!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page