Scheduled service vs just oil change? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chezqui

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Scheduled service vs just oil change?

Hey all,
I've got about 1300 miles on my Bobber, had the initial break-in service done at 500 miles in July of 2017. My service manual says I need to do the next service at 10,000 miles or 1 year. I called the dealer and they told me just to do an oil change and not worry about a full service. What're your thoughts on that? On my previous Triumphs I've always done the full service every year, but they were the older air-cooled models. Thanks!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I change the oil regardless every 4/5 thousand KM’s depending on my riding. I would not wait for the “recommended” 10K mark. But that’s just me and I’m sure some will disagree and claim overkill.
As for oil, I’ve been using Motul 300V for years and years. I highly recommend it. But again, there are many other good brands out there and it’s a whole other debate.

Spark plugs, etc will definitely last until the next service.
Make sure to adjust & lube the chain often too!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I definitely change the oil every year, even if I only get 1,000 miles on it or so, as well as pay attention to the chain. In terms of actual oil, I just use whatever the dealer recommends. I keep the bike in a storage unit since I'm in an apartment, so I let them change it at the dealer. Hopefully getting a house soon so I can do this stuff myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncessna View Post
Hey all,
I've got about 1300 miles on my Bobber, had the initial break-in service done at 500 miles in July of 2017. My service manual says I need to do the next service at 10,000 miles or 1 year. I called the dealer and they told me just to do an oil change and not worry about a full service. What're your thoughts on that? On my previous Triumphs I've always done the full service every year, but they were the older air-cooled models. Thanks!
I think your dealer's right with just 800miles added since your last service, a full service is probably unnecessary although a year and a half later there might be a software update? However with it being a new bike I do think you need to go by the book (once and year or every 10k) to keep your warranty valid. Ask your dealer what happens if you have a claim would an incomplete service record be used against you?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
I think your dealer's right with just 800miles added since your last service, a full service is probably unnecessary although a year and a half later there might be a software update? However with it being a new bike I do think you need to go by the book (once and year or every 10k) to keep your warranty valid. Ask your dealer what happens if you have a claim would an incomplete service record be used against you?
Will do, thank you!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM

I just did oil and filter on mine @1000 miles.

This oil following Eisen's recommendation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
eisen77 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page