Anyone running an illegal vertical plate? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Anyone running an illegal vertical plate?

So, I just discovered that vertically mounted plates are technically illegal in MD, where my bike is registered. I was planning on a vertical side mount. But I am wondering how much the law is enforced. Anyone running a vertical plate in a state where it's not legal (MD or otherwise)? Or any anecdotal evidence for enforcement or non-enforcement..? I know of course I could do a horizontal side mount, but it's not quite the same. Thanks.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstevetrevor View Post
So, I just discovered that vertically mounted plates are technically illegal in MD, where my bike is registered. I was planning on a vertical side mount. But I am wondering how much the law is enforced. Anyone running a vertical plate in a state where it's not legal (MD or otherwise)? Or any anecdotal evidence for enforcement or non-enforcement..? I know of course I could do a horizontal side mount, but it's not quite the same. Thanks.
I always find that asking forgiveness rather than permission usually yields optimal results. I don't think you'll get much attention from the razzers.
majstevetrevor likes this.

Current Inventory: 2018 Triumph Bobber Black, 2017 Honda Grom, 2002 GSXR-750 Track Bike (not street legal).

Past Inventory:
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R, farkled out.
2017 Ducati 1299 Panigale S, farkled out (RIP...lady pulled out in front of me, totaled).
2014 BMW F800 ST, of course farkled out.
2004 Honda R6, stock!.
2016 Honda Grom, bar end mirrors, handle bars, flush mounted signals.
2017 BMW R-nine T, stock!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 PM
Roy

Garage
Having been a plod for a while I agree,

Be nice and you often will get with all sorts.

I recall taking a girl on a date in Wolverhampton once. I was a tad daft and ran a red light, as I did so I caught a glimpse of a jam jar pulling out to chase me. As I turned the corner I pulled over and waited for him, he came tanking around the corner expecting that I had done a runner. He hit the brakes, pulled up beside me, rolled down the window and before he could give me a telling off, I said that I had realized how stupid I had been and decide to 'pull myself over' and wait for him. He smiled, made a light comment or two and let me off...

Cheerio,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 11:09 PM

It all depends on the A-hole behind the badge...
majstevetrevor and Mar-Vel like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 AM

In Michigan I constantly see street bikes with their plates tucked so far up their rear fenders and under their seat they're barely visible at all. I mounted mine in an illuminated Kuryakyn frame. It's not legal in Michigan, but at least it's visible and I'm not trying to hide anything.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:02 AM

I'm betting 90+% of the Officers don't even realize or actually care that it is "equiptment" violation ...
Unless of course the guy is looking at padding his stats trying to make himself look good for his superiors...
Did u know in Georgia, ANY type of "frame" or cover (even clear) on ur license plate is a violation...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:13 AM

Wow, just read the code section on this.. nothing about vertical mounting... just "visible, legible, clean"... not to say it wouldn't be used as PC to get pulled over..
It is open to interprtation, if your willing to take the time to go to court and HOPE the judge isn't as big of s tool as the Office was that gave u the ticket.. I say go for it.. just DONT try to tell the judge what is what... They know the law (better than most) and don't take kindly to a "civilian" explaining it to them ..
It's the old adage "yeah, your right,... but just how right do you want to be??"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
Wow, just read the code section on this.. nothing about vertical mounting... just "visible, legible, clean"... not to say it wouldn't be used as PC to get pulled over..
It is open to interprtation, if your willing to take the time to go to court and HOPE the judge isn't as big of s tool as the Office was that gave u the ticket.. I say go for it.. just DONT try to tell the judge what is what... They know the law (better than most) and don't take kindly to a "civilian" explaining it to them ..
It's the old adage "yeah, your right,... but just how right do you want to be??"

The MD code (or the version I found on the interweb anyway) reads:

Plate just be:

(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:
(i) In a horizontal position;
(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and
(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Kinda funny "prevents it from swinging"... I can EASILY see that with cars.. (hanging from a bumper)
As for motorcycles... my new Harley came with a spring loaded plate mount..it swung but stayed firm unless physically manipulated..

Here is an idea.. make a plate mount that ROTATES / piviots horizontal to vertical that is spring loaded...
Get pulled over for the tag violation, hit a "release" as "badge boy" walks back to his car.. then when you look at the ticket / violation.. point out .. it is NOT vertical ..
Just hope he doesn't have a dash camera on
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstevetrevor View Post
The MD code (or the version I found on the interweb anyway) reads:

Plate just be:

(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:
(i) In a horizontal position;
(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and
(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.
Good find! This is perfect, and gives you absolute flexibility to mount it however you wish so long that its stationary. "In a horizontal position" provides no frame of reference. Horizontal to the rider? Horizontal to the ground? Horizontal to an observer, and if so, what orientation is that observer likely to assume?

The problem is this: If you ride your bobber through a crowd of snowflakes illegally obstructing traffic, then it only makes sense to assume horizontal positioning relative to observers wishing for death. That way, they can properly report you to the authorities wondering around among them like in the video below:

Current Inventory: 2018 Triumph Bobber Black, 2017 Honda Grom, 2002 GSXR-750 Track Bike (not street legal).

Past Inventory:
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R, farkled out.
2017 Ducati 1299 Panigale S, farkled out (RIP...lady pulled out in front of me, totaled).
2014 BMW F800 ST, of course farkled out.
2004 Honda R6, stock!.
2016 Honda Grom, bar end mirrors, handle bars, flush mounted signals.
2017 BMW R-nine T, stock!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page