Best Shock For A Smooooth Ride? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Best Shock For A Smooooth Ride?

Hi Gents,

I know there has been plenty of talk regarding non stock Bobber shocks, almost a little too much which at times has this old head of mine spinning. I find the ride on my Bobber with standard shock, well best described as 'jarring'.. So it is only a mater of time before an upgrade will be on the cards. However with the substantial cost involved I want to make the right choice for ME.

For reference I'm around 175lb or 12˝ stone in old money. And I'm a pretty sedate rider looking for comfort and a 'soft' smooth ride or as much as is reasonably practicable.

So with that in mind can I ask for comments in regards one specific question; if You have a non stock shock (Fox included) how would you rate your after market shock specifically in regards how it fairs for a 'smooth' ride?

Very grateful for any input.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 PM

I have the Matris version and the ride is smoother but don't expect miracles. Hard bumps still give you a little "lift" but much less jarring.

Chico
Irisheye and Roy like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 PM

I'm 190 lbs. I have given up my sports bike days so I am now a rather sedate rider. The Fox shock serves me well. I have never used anything but stock and Fox so I can't comment on anything else.
Irisheye and Roy like this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thanks Gents,

I forgot t mention could you rate your specific aftermarket shock from 1-10. 1 being no different to stock, 10 being you don't think it could be improved upon.

This might make it easier (for me) to compare.

Cheers,

Roy
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Thanks Gents,

I forgot t mention could you rate your specific aftermarket shock from 1-10. 1 being no different to stock, 10 being you don't think it could be improved upon.

This might make it easier (for me) to compare.

Cheers,

Roy

Chico
Roy likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 AM

I’m interested in the benefits, if any, for a relatively light guy at 140 lbs. I hear heavier guys, with stock shock, have a jarring time at low speed “bumps”,whereas I’m generally ok with those. But at higher speeds, it can be a bit unsettling but I come from the Harley world where it’s all a bit unsettling... haha.

So is it worth it for us lighter riders and if so, which shock is best suited for it.
chezqui likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:08 AM

Garage
Roy, a shock will make a difference, but you are still stuck with the limited rear wheel travel on the Bobber/Speedy. The Stelvio I had was a carpet ride over anything but the travel on front or rear on that was huge, so it gave the shocks a chance to decelerate the movement smoothly, as opposed to having to do it in a shorter distance on the Bobber
gfspencer and Roy like this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:19 AM

As Chico and others have pointed out there is limited travel with whatever shock you fit. You will still get a jolt from big bumps where the shock runs out of travel. The Nitron I fitted has adjustable preload and comes preset to the weight you supply them. The damping has twenty adjustment points. I am still working on that to optimise it, but it does give a less "busy" ride for me on smoother roads. The damping seems to be doing its job better than oem, it isn't night and day, but it is noticeably better.
Roy likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's_yer_firkin View Post
As Chico and others have pointed out there is limited travel with whatever shock you fit.

You are absolutely right!!! A Bobber has 77mm of rear travel. By comparison, a BMW R nineT - which is a relatively tight handling motorcycle - has 120mm of rear travel. A BMW R1200GS has 220mm of rear travel! Regardless of shock when you hit a big bump the Bobber is going to bust your butt.

With my Fox shock set to a few clicks below the softest ride I still get hammered on manhole covers and big tar strips.

I think Triumph missed the boat when they didn't put the seat on springs. It would have been a classic look and perhaps an improvement to the ride. Just saying.
majstevetrevor and Roy like this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
I think Triumph missed the boat when they didn't put the seat on springs. It would have been a classic look and perhaps an improvement to the ride. Just saying.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Years back I had a sprung seat on an old HD Sportster (with suspension) and not only loved the look but enjoyed that extra bit of comfort. You would only need a little movement in the seat to improve things and I think it is doable so as not to interfere with the shock. Perhaps another product an aftermarket company could consider?

Cheerio,

Roy
majstevetrevor and gfspencer like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page