Riding in Northern NH and Maine - Triumph Bobber Forum
 8Likes
  • 7 Post By AirMark
  • 1 Post By AirMark

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding in Northern NH and Maine

I am blessed with opportunity to travel to make my living and so I travel with my RV and enclosed trailer that can also stow my Bobber Black. I live in south Alabama where the roads are straight and flat. Not very exciting for motorcycling. We do have beaches here in south AL, so beach runs can be a little more interesting, but traffic is heavy. So given the chance, I am always anxious to ride in other parts of the states.

So this week and last I am in Northern New Hampshire and last weekend the aircraft was on the ground waiting on parts, so I got free to ride on Sunday. The weather was unbelievably perfect, sunny and in the 70s F. The route I planned took me through Northern New Hampshire and into Maine. I left North Stratford, NH on Hwy 3. to Colebrook, then I took Hwy 26 through Dixville Notch State Park (pretty cool) to Errol, NH and picked up Hwy 16. Hwy 16 takes you on a great run up and around Mooselookmeguntic Lake and Pleasant Island. Great roads and vistas. Then I connected to Route 17 which I though was better than 16.

Total run 200 miles. Made 1 fuel stop at Oquossoc, ME and a couple of pull offs for scenic views. Pic attached is at the North end of Pleasant Island in Maine looking south. I did have my spare LaRosa Fuel Bottle with me just in case. Gave me a wee bit of peace of mind.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0235sm.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	27789  
eisen77, Dyna, chezqui and 4 others like this.

Tackle and solve the really tough items immediately, the impossible, give that an extra day!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Ah, you've discovered my stomping grounds! It's beautiful up there, isn't it? I feel very lucky every time! Glad you got to enjoy it!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMark View Post
I am blessed with opportunity to travel to make my living and so I travel with my RV and enclosed trailer that can also stow my Bobber Black. I live in south Alabama where the roads are straight and flat. Not very exciting for motorcycling. We do have beaches here in south AL, so beach runs can be a little more interesting, but traffic is heavy. So given the chance, I am always anxious to ride in other parts of the states.

So this week and last I am in Northern New Hampshire and last weekend the aircraft was on the ground waiting on parts, so I got free to ride on Sunday. The weather was unbelievably perfect, sunny and in the 70s F. The route I planned took me through Northern New Hampshire and into Maine. I left North Stratford, NH on Hwy 3. to Colebrook, then I took Hwy 26 through Dixville Notch State Park (pretty cool) to Errol, NH and picked up Hwy 16. Hwy 16 takes you on a great run up and around Mooselookmeguntic Lake and Pleasant Island. Great roads and vistas. Then I connected to Route 17 which I though was better than 16.

Total run 200 miles. Made 1 fuel stop at Oquossoc, ME and a couple of pull offs for scenic views. Pic attached is at the North end of Pleasant Island in Maine looking south. I did have my spare LaRosa Fuel Bottle with me just in case. Gave me a wee bit of peace of mind.

Mark
You didn't go to the white Mountains? Mt. Washington?

Chico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I may have a chance for another ride Thursday if weather holds. Precip chances increase as the week goes on. I am studying routes tonight. I will look at those areas. It is all pretty spectacular to me compared to flatland LA, (Lower Alabama).

Mark

Tackle and solve the really tough items immediately, the impossible, give that an extra day!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update

I was able to ride again Thursday 09/20. Temps cooler with upper 50s F and cloud cover. I took Chico's suggestion and rode up Mt. Washington and rode on roads through the White Mountain National Forest. All in New Hampshire, about 200 miles for the day. Stock seat was comfortable (I do have the Fox Suspension Upgrade) and fuel burn with stock capacity not an issue.

Mt. Washington is over 6000 feet and they have a road that leads to the top. At 3000 feet I ran into the cloud base. I punched through and ran into to some drizzle. Still a cool ride. White Mountain National Forest was the best, smooth roads, twistes, and mountains right next to the roads. The leaves are just starting to turn color. Just a great day. My hope is taking the time to ride these great areas of the country on this really cool Triumph will help lengthen my life. That's my plan!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002sm.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	27919   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004sm.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	27921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006sm.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	27923  
ysoslo likes this.

Last edited by AirMark; 09-21-2018 at 07:47 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 PM

Too bad your view from Mt. Washington was obscured, it's quite panoramic. The White Mountains area is a mc rider's dream. Glad you got to enjoy the experience.

Chico

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page