'The Need For Speed'...? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
'The Need For Speed'...?

Hi Chaps,

I'm cringing a little asking this question as I don't want to encourage anyone to ride too fast, so please be safe.

I'm not into speed or high performance myself and mostly just 'plod' around on my Bobber rarely hitting much more that 80mph. However the Bobber is no slouch and a 1200 engine is certainly not a small bike, so I was wondering if any of you more experienced riders with 'a need for speed' have pushed your Bobber a little and to that end what speeds have your reached?

Cheerio (and please be safe),

Roy
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:53 PM

200kph/120 mph. Tough hanging on not like the Ducati where you sit behind the faring
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thanks for that,

If I had to guess I would have said around 120mph. It's been a long time since I rode any bike at speed and personally don't 'feel the need', especially with an open faced helmet and high bars. That said I have a long trip planed so I may open her up a little on those long Arizona road.

Cheerio,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM

I feel fairly certain the bobber is speed limited at 115 mph. I doubt you would see 120 on a stock configuration.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:23 PM

yep engine is weak, 180kmh on full throttle several kilometers, didn't have enough power to get over it.
Also you need to rev it up with 4th and 5th gear, 6th is so weak gear. For 1200 is say it's weak, you need to rev it high as super bike to get it going.

Till 140kmh, its ok, but over it even my Volvo s80 v8(315hp 1850kg) shows easily tail lights.
Volvo has 0.17hp per kg and bobber has 0.33, where the power goes

To bad Triumph don't have option for 1200HP engine for bobber, probably 100hp(25%) improvement adds satisfactory power.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:00 PM

I actually felt that mine pulled fairly decently up to that point and then it feels that power is cut. It doesn’t bang out like a rev limiter it simply just reduces power and levels off at 115. At least that’s what I feel.
motosickle likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:02 PM

I hit a buck 10 once , it was starting to tap out. But in complete fairness , it runs beautifully from 0-80.
gfspencer likes this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX429 View Post
I actually felt that mine pulled fairly decently up to that point and then it feels that power is cut. It doesn’t bang out like a rev limiter it simply just reduces power and levels off at 115. At least that’s what I feel.
I couldn’t agree with you more... mine pulls strong in all gear right the way up to where its limited to 115 mph. It’s not superbike quick but by no means is it, “weak”
Skins and ArmchairHero like this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM

Garage
Round town the torque gets me away from lights like a greased pig, in the twisties it sticks to the road and happily takes me through a corner with a nice grunt when poked a bit. It will 'cruise at 70-80 quite happily (above that I just become a huge air-brake!, (on a private /cough test track) i took it up to about 110 cowering down like a hunchback just to ton-up it.

However tuning the Bobber, Trirocket I think has just about doubled the standard power so it's doable, just depends on how deep your pockets are (and how big you are - the air-brake bit again)

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:15 PM

As Big Bear and Ethariel said said this is a great bike for up to 80 mph. After 80 mph I start getting blown around. The Bobber isn't a super bike. It isn't designed to run at 100+. (If I wanted a super bike I would have kept my Ducati. )

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page