Sales Figures - Triumph Bobber Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Sales Figures

As most Bobber owners are probably aware, you pull up somewhere your going to get approached, so get used to talking Bikes with complete strangers, always get asked how old it is. I love this, never bought the bike for this reason, but it is really an enjoyable side effect to being a Bobber owner. Everyone who comes up is extremely positive. As an example, last weekend 3 bikers turned up to a Pub I was at with a fellow biker and as soon as one got off bike he went straight up to mine and said he loved it and started taking snaps, he was riding a Ducati Panigale (not an ugly bike either).

Anyways, as we are talking he says "I have never seen one of these in the flesh" and this got me thinking, neither have I (other than what was at my local dealers). I like this fact also (if it was down to me I would stop the Bobber production line now to remain unique). So I thought I would look up the figures, by all accounts Triumph are shifting Bobbers, but I was shocked at how low level bikes sales are. Call me naive but I thought manufactures would be selling tens of thousands, but by all accounts, according to Bennets the BMW R1200GS with approx 4,200 units, (you will have to read the article to get to bottom of figures) (also the BMW is a really ugly bike by the way).

So my question as a non Triumph owner prior to the Bobber was this the same with other Triumph models and can I expect in many years to come to see loads of newer Bobbers floating about. Once a new model does come out do sales slow down after time or does it remain constant?

Article link below.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...7-investigated
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:16 PM

I hope they only make the Bobber Black for 2018. It would really be great to have one if it was the only year they made it. Wishful thinking probably.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 PM

Garage
In my Guzzi days, I was an owner when Guzzi sold 10,000 bikes worldwide for the first (and only?) time... It was about 2007/8, the peak of the CARC models. I thought I remember Triunph selling about 70-80,000 bikes a year...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:31 PM

I'm doing my part. I've bought 3 new ones in the last 18 years.

FYI... https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ng-conditions/

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.

Last edited by Big Bear; 08-24-2018 at 02:33 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 03:08 PM

Garage
The Bobber is of course Triumph fastest selling bike in the company’s history but as you’ve highlighted they are a relatively rare sight out in the wild. To date I’ve seen four others!

I too looked at sales figures a while back and was somewhat surprised to find the numbers to be far more humble than I had, “ naďvely “ assumed.

As I understand it BMW’s GS is the company’s biggest selling unit historically. At present I’m very much on the market for a second bike and the new 1250cc GS said to be released in October is of keen interest!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 05:33 PM

Garage
Good read on sales numbers

Euro 4 has a lot to answer for, all the Commander/America variants and Rocket from triumph, virtually every 'cruiser' from Yamaha, suzuki, honda all cut too, nowhere to hide the huge watercooling setup and stupid exhaust required to pass Euro 4 let alone euro 5.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 11:24 PM

Wonder what the US numbers are. Since I've bought mine, seen one standard and one BB.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:33 AM

Garage
Haven't seen one here in Oz. I have had heaps of comments and thumbs up as I ride past from young and old alike.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
Haven't seen one here in Oz. I have had heaps of comments and thumbs up as I ride past from young and old alike.
Same here in North Carolina. I've seen a few Bobbers at dealerships but I haven't seen any on the roads. I've gotten a lot of waves from cruiser guys and I've had a few chats around the gas pumps. In the mean time I have seen three BMW R1200 GSs.

In the past I owned two GSs. They are ugly bikes but my grannie always said, "Pretty is as pretty does." And you can't beat a GS for touring on pavement and/or dirt roads.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:26 PM

hmm in the flesh or rather out in the wild (that's outside a dealer's shop) I have only seen three bobbers: one bobber black on Feldberg/Taunus nearby Germany, Angela on her bobber at the 2018 Tiger mega meet (I trailed all the time on my Tiger, funny to see how the number shield moves all the time) and on my way to work I pass a parked bobber now an then. So although they are good selling still a rare sight

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page