High Handlebar Adjustment - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
High Handlebar Adjustment

Greetings Lads & Lasses,

On purchasing my Bobber with the high bars I was surprised to find out that the required risers for fitting were 'pinned' and did not allow for any adjustment at all. On enquiring with the dealership about refitting the originals I was told this could not be done for safety reasons. I decided that my project for today was to do it myself and I wanted to share with you my reasoning and my experience just in case it is of interest to anyone.

My reasoning behind being able to adjust the high bars and NOT have the pinned risers is three fold:

For aesthetic reasons I don't like the extreme 'cant' between bars and forks and prefer them to be more in-line with one another.
Secondly, I think it is quite reasonable to want to slightly adjust the angle of the handlebars to suit one's own preference.
Thirdly and most importantly, having pinned bars to me is dangerous. I once had a serious accident riding with ape-hangers and as I was propelled forward at 70mph my knees impacted the high bars. Although I was seriously injured IF those bars had not 'given' under the impact of my knees I'm afraid to think what my injuries might have been.

My solution:
So with all those points in mind I decided I was going to replace the pinned rises for the standard ones (see pics attached). To assist with point number one (aesthetics) I actually fitted the risers so they faced forward not back. This pulled the bars forward by around an inch and allowed for my to adjust the bars to a more pleasing angle on the bike.

I'm pretty pleased how everything has turned out, however it's a little too hot to take here for a test ride, so I'm planning to pop out this evening when it's a little cooler. I'm now pleased that these bars are not 'fixed' solidly in place but certainly tight enough for safety reasons. They are now adjustable for my preference and the lines of the front end are more pleasing to my eye.

I hope that helps, happy to answer any question if I'm able.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 12.00.12 PM.png
Views:	159
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	26313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 12.00.30 PM.png
Views:	158
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	26315  
Dovahkiin likes this.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Greetings Lads & Lasses,

On purchasing my Bobber with the high bars I was surprised to find out that the required risers for fitting were 'pinned' and did not allow for any adjustment at all. On enquiring with the dealership about refitting the originals I was told this could not be done for safety reasons. I decided that my project for today was to do it myself and I wanted to share with you my reasoning and my experience just in case it is of interest to anyone.

My reasoning behind being able to adjust the high bars and NOT have the pinned risers is three fold:

For aesthetic reasons I don't like the extreme 'cant' between bars and forks and prefer them to be more in-line with one another.
Secondly, I think it is quite reasonable to want to slightly adjust the angle of the handlebars to suit one's own preference.
Thirdly and most importantly, having pinned bars to me is dangerous. I once had a serious accident riding with ape-hangers and as I was propelled forward at 70mph my knees impacted the high bars. Although I was seriously injured IF those bars had not 'given' under the impact of my knees I'm afraid to think what my injuries might have been.

My solution:
So with all those points in mind I decided I was going to replace the pinned rises for the standard ones (see pics attached). To assist with point number one (aesthetics) I actually fitted the risers so they faced forward not back. This pulled the bars forward by around an inch and allowed for my to adjust the bars to a more pleasing angle on the bike.

I'm pretty pleased how everything has turned out, however it's a little too hot to take here for a test ride, so I'm planning to pop out this evening when it's a little cooler. I'm now pleased that these bars are not 'fixed' solidly in place but certainly tight enough for safety reasons. They are now adjustable for my preference and the lines of the front end are more pleasing to my eye.

I hope that helps, happy to answer any question if I'm able.

Cheerio,

Roy
Like your thinking Roy and i agree. Some of us would prefer to slope the bars back, although i dont have the apes. And the safety point ref accident is a good point
Roy likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Hi Bofor,

Thanks for that mate.

I have had high bars on many of my bikes over the years (see attached a pic of my around 35 years ago..) but I have never had bars on 'any' bike I could not adjust, so I knew I was going to sort this issue out asap.

It's only a small adjustment but makes a bid difference.

Cheers,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 2.27.39 PM.png
Views:	123
Size:	540.5 KB
ID:	26319  
eisen77, gfspencer and bofor like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Bofor,

Thanks for that mate.

It's only a small adjustment but makes a bid difference.

Cheers,

Roy
Nice pic Roy

Small adjustment ???..thats what her in doors said
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
I've had a couple of short rides now and overall I'm pleased with the changes.

Turning the stock risers around have the desired affect of moving the bars just a little forward and more in line (aesthetically) with the forks, however this does slightly impede the view of the lower area of the display, but not too much so I'm okay with that.

After a little tweaking the angle of the bars is an improvement for my preference, so I'm pleased about that. And I'm now grateful to have some option around adjustment now I don't have pinned rises.

The bars however are not perfect for me, so another project to look at down the road. But overall I'm pleased I made the changes/adjustments.

Also and after my initial report and reasoning for 'not' having pinned rises, I remembered another. About ten years back I road coast to coast and recall one state (I think it may have been Montana) had restrictions on how high (measured from the seat) your handlebars could be. We all pulled over while some of the guys had to adjust their bars down whilst we rode through that sate. Something of course that would be impossible to do IF one had pinned risers.

Cheerio,

Roy
Guzzilazz likes this.

Last edited by Roy; 07-22-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:05 AM

Roy,
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by pinned? I put the mini apes on mine and loosened then rolled them forward a bit because they were too close with my chest. Didn't seem to have any trouble doing so.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncessna View Post
Roy,
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by pinned? I put the mini apes on mine and loosened then rolled them forward a bit because they were too close with my chest. Didn't seem to have any trouble doing so.
Hi John,

I ordered my high bars when I purchased the bike and as part of the high bar 'mounting kit' the dealer has to swap out the standard risers for a set of 'pinned' risers. These look identical, however inside the curve they have a fixed pin, this locks into the holes on the underside of your handlebars and 'fixes' them in place.

I asked my dealer and they said they were required to fit these for safety reason. Of course whoever dreamed this up has never used high bars. They may be called 'ape hangers' but we really don't 'hang' on them.

If you purchased your bars John and fitted them yourself them that wouldn't have been a problem and likely you never noticed the two small holes underneath your bars.

Wish I had done the same now.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:46 AM

I have braked hard enough that I can feel the bars flex a lot! Have you had a hard braking circumstance that has tested this? I want to move mine a bit and considered redrilling another set of holes to do such. Even considered remounting the stock risers to do so as well. Over all though , the bars give a nice riding position for the taller crowd.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Hi BB,

I can't say I have had to break hard on this bike as yet. But as mentioned earlier I have never had (or actually heard of) pinned risers/bars before and really don't like the idea at all. Hence my going back to the original examples.

With all the high bars I have had on bikes over the years I have 'never' had a single problem, so don't see any need for pinned risers/bars at all.

Cheerio,

Roy
Big Bear likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 PM

Garage
I noticed my high bars flexing a lot when I was braking hard, and realized that the nuts had come a little loose underneath the mounts. Tightened them up and they're good to go again.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page