• 5 Post By LordLoveRocket71
  • 1 Post By Bobber-Bomb
  • 6 Post By Roy
  • 3 Post By jerrman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Stuart Fillingham Bobber Review

Worth a watch.

ysoslo, jerrman, Mar-Vel and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Garage
Wow... after watching that itís made me want to buy one!

Itíll be interesting to watch him mod the bike and to adorn it in all things Motone
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:15 PM

Garage
Wtf!

Thanks for the post LL Rocket. I normally like Stuart's videos and I was looking forward to this one but I just don't buy his conclusion - 'that many people are put off buying Bobbers by the Bobber name!'

WTF Harley have never had any trouble selling 'Factory Customs' (despite the obvious oxymoron) often with Custom in their model names why is the term 'Bobber' so offensive to so many? I don't believe it, this backlash against Triumph using the term bobber is not something I've ever come across talking to other bikers
LordLoveRocket71 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 PM

Cool

I actually agree with the comment. At least here in the States , because a Bobber is something you build it your own garage. I've thought that myself in the past (years ago , not when the Bobber was released) , and have already had that sentiment tossed in my direction in the short time I've had mine (a Bobber is something you build , not buy....). Thought it was a good review though , and the back brakes on these things do SUCK.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
Thanks for the post LL Rocket. I normally like Stuart's videos and I was looking forward to this one but I just don't buy his conclusion - 'that many people are put off buying Bobbers by the Bobber name!'

WTF Harley have never had any trouble selling 'Factory Customs' (despite the obvious oxymoron) often with Custom in their model names why is the term 'Bobber' so offensive to so many? I don't believe it, this backlash against Triumph using the term bobber is not something I've ever come across talking to other bikers
I have to say I think heís on the money and heís certainly not the first person to air such comments. Iíve picked up on a lot of negativity on social media ever since the first iteration of the Triumph Bobber was announced.

Stuartís take does at least give a fair account based on the history and dare I say presents a good defence to those would be haters.

I just think itís a massive shame that some out there get so snooty about the bikes name instead of just judging it on its performance and form.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Roy

Garage
They could have called it 'fluffy pink bunny' and I still would have bought one...!

Cheerio,

Roy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
They could have called it 'fluffy pink bunny' and I still would have bought one...!

Cheerio,

Roy

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:

Cheerio,

Roy
Interestingly, my dealer did say that was the model name, so I also bought one As far as the "bobber" name, it's better than calling it a "bobber style" motorcycle which doesn't roll off the tongue as well, nor would it fit on the side of the motorcycle. Besides, Indian also has a "bobber" version of the Scout as does the MotoGuzzi V9. Truth be known, Triumph nailed the style better than anyone has before other than those that built bobbers from parts. And the reviews were overwhelming just based on the looks, never mind the performance. Based on how some owners are modifying their Bobber, they're capturing the style and spirit of early bobbers as well as anyone has. So, for those who have decided not to buy the Bobber based on its name, boy are you missing out. Your loss.
ysoslo, AirMark and Mar-Vel like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Roy

Garage
I could be wrong on this but didn't Triumph have some legal issues with regards using the name 'Bonneville' here in the US due to the classic Pontiac Bonneville car and the rights around using the name?

I suspect that maybe the reason we have 'Bobber Bonneville' as the bikes name as apposed to the 'Triumph Bonneville Bobber'.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but vaguely recall reading something along those lines some years back.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong on this but didn't Triumph have some legal issues with regards using the name 'Bonneville' here in the US due to the classic Pontiac Bonneville car and the rights around using the name?

I suspect that maybe the reason we have 'Bobber Bonneville' as the bikes name as apposed to the 'Triumph Bonneville Bobber'.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but vaguely recall reading something along those lines some years back.

Cheerio,

Roy
I am not a lawyer. When it comes to legal stuff and international I don't know what I am talking about. So take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. (Salt! Get it?)

I believe that trademarks are not international and that they have to be applied for in the country in which they are being used. The Pontiac Bonneville was first built in 1957. The first Triumph Bonneville motorcycle came in 1959 so they were bumping up against each other plus they were both using the name of the salt flat. Maybe Pontiac and Triumph didn't see the need to go to battle about the name of a salt flat. It might have been different if Triumph had named one of their cars a Bonneville and if they were selling a lot of cars in the U.S. (they weren't). (I had to search high and low for a Triumph dealer when I bought my Spitfire in 1969.)

I don't care what you name my bike. I love it. The name is unimportant. Nevertheless, "Bobber" has a nice ring to it.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page