Pumping the Tyres Up - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Pumping the Tyres Up

Anyone tried this? Try it first at a garage before you get stuck and have to try it out for real.

I religiously carry within my backpack on every journey a tyre repair kit and a mini battery powered tyre pump (amongst other things) and due to a small air leak in the rear I use it now and again to pump up the rear. I can feel when the tyre is low I don't need to religiously check. Anyways, was out early this morning and could feel it was low and thought I would pull into a standard garage and pump up tyre rather than get my unit out and connect to bike battery etc. Do you think I could get the nozzle to connect with tyre valve, didn't matter which way I positioned it, spokes seemed to get in the way. The battery powered unit I normally use has a flexible hose type connection as opposed to the metal connector on a standard garage forecourt. So unless I am doing something wrong, try it out for yourself before you get stuck.

This is the unit that I have been trouble free for my air, highly recommend:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Garage
Great idea. I carry a portable on any longer trip as well. Amazon doesn’t ship that particular model to the States but, there are other good ones as well.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Garage
I thought it was just me... but I failed to get any air into a slightly below par front... A mate gave me one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MOTOR...%3D&rmvSB=true

That does the job well, but it will let a bit of air out as you attach and detach..

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:42 PM

Garage
Yep same here, the usual long metal connector on a garage forecourt cant get in past the spokes, my old tyre pressure gauge has the same issue so I had to buy another and all my disk locks don't fit thru the Bobber disk either lol.

Had 90 degree valves fitted on the 955 triple, unfortunately with tubed tyres a permanently fitted right angle is a no no (but then again locktite blue....who knows? but will the weight kill the valvestem?

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post
Yep same here, the usual long metal connector on a garage forecourt cant get in past the spokes, my old tyre pressure gauge has the same issue so I had to buy another and all my disk locks don't fit thru the Bobber disk either lol.

Had 90 degree valves fitted on the 955 triple, unfortunately with tubed tyres a permanently fitted right angle is a no no (but then again locktite blue....who knows? but will the weight kill the valvestem?
Ethariel, why doesn't a permanently fitted right angle work on tubed tires? Thanks.
P.S. can they be used just for the fill-up then taken off?

Last edited by jerrman; 07-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
Ethariel, why doesn't a permanently fitted right angle work on tubed tires? Thanks.
The right angle adapters that I have seen aren't supposed to be fitted permanently. That doesn't mean that there aren't adapters that can be fitted permanently. I just haven't seen them.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Garage
These are the ones I was thinking of (Revzilla). Maybe I should only be using them when filling up? Description though, doesn't say anything about temporary vs. permanent, tube vs. tubeless.

Bike Master 90 Degree Valve Stems
SKU: 961902
Color: Black
Size: 11.3MM
$17.96$17.961
Ships within 24 hours
/Users/jerrman/Desktop/bike_master90_degree_valve_stems_300x300.jpg
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 04:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
The right angle adapters that I have seen aren't supposed to be fitted permanently. That doesn't mean that there aren't adapters that can be fitted permanently. I just haven't seen them.
The tubless tyre ones are screwed into the rim and are rock solid, the valve on the tubed tyre is a flexible stalk fitted to a tube, always been told not to mess with them (includes fancy metal caps etc due to the stress of rotational force.

Tubless tyre ones are even offered triumph branded HERE

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post
The tubless tyre ones are screwed into the rim and are rock solid, the valve on the tubed tyre is a flexible stalk fitted to a tube, always been told not to mess with them (includes fancy metal caps etc due to the stress of rotational force.

Tubless tyre ones are even offered triumph branded HERE
Thanks for that information.

I have had 19 motorcycles over the years. The Triumph Bobber is without a doubt the most difficult for tire inflation.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:01 PM

i agree that getting to the air nozzles on the wheels can be tricky with the spokes an all. even getting your air pressure guage in there can be a little tricky (especially the rear tire.)

also most of us have to deal with the constant slow-air leak that is always happening. (there's a lot of forums about this issue). i got valve stem tightening tool and it definitely helped.

early on i purchased one of these compact hand-held (basically bicycle) pumps. it has a tube that comes out of the casing and attaches to one end. it's flexible enough to get into/inbetween the spokes to twist onto the valves. i've been using it basically once a week now for a year and it's held up. takes a little bit of muscle, but works. it's inexpensive, and doesn't require any electrical power. also it's small enough to fit in any backpack or saddle bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	26181   Click image for larger version

Name:	pump3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	26183  
Roy likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version