Bobber Design - What Would You Do? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Question Bobber Design - What Would You Do?

Okay Chaps,

I have been enjoying the discussions regarding comparing the OB vs BB and also the OB, BB & SM with some interesting topics in both threads.

So this got me thinking. If You were in charge of designing the original Bobber concept OR for that mater on the design team for a new version of the Bobber (are you reading this Triumph?) - what would you change?

Now I don't mean small changes like fuel capacity etc. and all those little grips but what major design change might you want to introduce or wish to see on the next iteration of the Bobber?

To get the ball rolling, I would love to see a springer type front end. I've always loved the look of those pre-war/1930's bikes like Vincents or Broughs, so for a really dramatic classic vintage looks I would love a springer type front end.

Any further thoughts are welcome?

Cheerio,

Roy
1960Bobber likes this.

Last edited by Roy; 07-04-2018 at 11:49 AM.
post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 PM

I know you re looking for major changes but I would just go with the old style tank badges and maybe better bars! But yes I would love a springer!
ysoslo and Roy like this.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
I couldn't resist..

So I made a mockup and threw a Brough Superior front end onto a Bobber Black to take a butchers and I really like it.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 10.31.38 AM.png
Views:	218
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	25885  
Dyna, DevilDog and 1960Bobber like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 PM

Garage
I'm betting that pic makes a bobber purists head explode...lol Makes it look heavier than the Bobber Black's front forks.

Each one matters.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

I was drawn to the sparseness of the Bobber design, and its pre-unit look. I like how they make it look like it has a separate gearbox. So, if I was in charge of development, I'd try to make it look as much like individual components brought together as possible. The antithesis of the modern bike, in which everything is designed to produce a harmonious whole. I really like the headlight that looks like a lamp in a bucket, rather than a sleekly designed lighting unit in a fairing and all aerodynamically designed fro minimum resistance.

So basically, I'd be pushing the team for a more cobbled-together look. And I love that Brough Superior front-end!
Roy likes this.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
I was drawn to the sparseness of the Bobber design, and its pre-unit look. I like how they make it look like it has a separate gearbox. So, if I was in charge of development, I'd try to make it look as much like individual components brought together as possible. The antithesis of the modern bike, in which everything is designed to produce a harmonious whole. I really like the headlight that looks like a lamp in a bucket, rather than a sleekly designed lighting unit in a fairing and all aerodynamically designed fro minimum resistance.

So basically, I'd be pushing the team for a more cobbled-together look. And I love that Brough Superior front-end!
Thanks for that, well said and that fits well with a lot of my thinking and preferences. Although I don't think I could have quite said it that well.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You will all hate me....belt drive....
djdannygunz and DevilDog like this.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
You will all hate me....belt drive....
That's an interesting and not bad idea. Now I think of it, perhaps shaft drive? I always liked that on a V-Max I had.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Garage
There's not much I'd change, I think Triumph got the design of the Bobber pretty much spot on...all except for the plastic tail light so although it's nothing major a retro tail light replacement gets my vote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail-light-STOP-Miller-01.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	25887  
DevilDog, nevk and Roy like this.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:55 PM

The following may not be considered a major design element but changing the location of the ignition switch is a major matter to me.

Chico
gfspencer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page